“Fun Food!!”

Tendermaid Sandwich Shop
Ranked #3 of 61 Restaurants in Austin
Cuisines: American, Fast Food
Dining options: Takeout
Description: 1950'S style malt & burger shop, featuring loose meat burgers and delicious hand dipped malts & shakes.
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We visited Tender Maid for an early dinner. The menu lists "hamburgers", but the sandwiches are really "loose meat" available with a variety of fixings and condiments. They are rich tasting beef and deliciously juicy and messy. I had a chocolate malt with my sandwich and it was the perfect combination! This little place is not to be missed!

2  Thank sunshinejan_12

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I went here with my husband and two kids. One of the BEST loose meat sandwiches I have ever had!! The people were sooo friendly too! This is a must place to try out!

2  Thank regmon12
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This quaint little eatery will transport you back to the 50s-60s and downtown diners. Take a swivel stool at the counter and watch the serves put together some of the most delicious loose meat sandwiches you will ever eat. Be sure to save room for one of their incredible malts/shakes. Not only is this a great place to have delicious food, but it is very reasonably priced food.

2  Thank Bill K
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We were enroute west on I 90, reaching Austin about lunchtime on a Friday and found Tender Maid on a map search for restaurants. It was definitely worth taking business route 90 to grab lunch here. The loose meat sandwiches were fun to try and actually very tasty. Even more, our butterscotch malt was perhaps the best I've ever had. Service was friendly and quick.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Tender Maid has been a tradition in Austin longer than I've been alive. I remember going there as a child, and I still go there as an adult EVERY time I'm back in Austin. Some people may not understand a 'loose-meat sandwich', but you just have to try it. If you add cheese, the meat stays together a little better. Otherwise, just eat it out of the paper wrap. They'll give you a spoon - that's to scoop up any meat that falls out. In my day, there were two options - cheese or no cheese (plus your favorite condiments, of course). Today they have all sorts of variations. If you're a first-timer, just order two with cheese and a malt. You won't be disappointed, I promise.

1  Thank Diane K

Been to Tendermaid Sandwich Shop? Share your experiences!