“Terrible place - avoid it like the plague!”

Welsch's Big Ten Tavern
Ranked #13 of 14 Restaurants in Arden Hills
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
“Terrible place - avoid it like the plague!”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Friends suggested that we meet here. We arrived and was told there would be a 15 to 20 minute wait, even thou the dining room was 2/3rds empty. After 3 requests the 6 of us were finally seated at a table.

It was a Friday night and my partner ordered the All You Can Eat Fish. The waitress came back and said (like a previous commentator about the All You Could Eat Crab Legs) that they were all out, but offered her The Walleye Dinner at a reduced cost. The waitress then came back a second time and said they were all out of Walleye.

The front board had AYCE (All You Can Eat) Prime Rib posted for $20.00 and when I ordered that, the waitress said they don't offer that anymore, (even thou it was clearly posted that day), but since it was on the board, she would offer that. After one serving of prime rib, I was never offered more.

I had almost finished my prime rib before one of the members of our group even got his cheeseburger.

Finally,as if to add insult to injury, the 6 of us came here to have a quiet discussion among ourselves. Half way through our meal so-called comedians got on stage by our table and started to tell terribly unfunny crude jokes.

I wonder how this terrible place stays in business. Avoid it like the plague.

• Visited January 2014

50onthego
“While everything else was "iffy" in the past...”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Now the drinks are no longer worth it. They used to pour a good drink, but not anymore. I was there recently with my aunt. She ordered a brandy water press. That means the drink should have been at least somewhat "brown." We couldn't detect any color. We placed a piece of white paper behind the drink and still no color could be discerned. I returned shortly thereafter with my husband, and we ordered bacardi with diet coke.....absolutely no rum taste. The server asked if we wanted "doubles"....no....but a single pour would most certainly have been nice. We weren't going to pay for a "double" when we had no idea what that would mean.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank 50onthego
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Not Good”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My wife and I stopped here on our way out of town for some food. We were greeted graciously by the bartender and ordered our beers and asked for a menu. After getting our beers and peering at our menu.......what happens you ask?......a freakin' cockroach as big as my pinky toe runs across our menu.

We chugged our beers and left.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Bob O
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Horrible”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went to this restaurant about once a month for crab legs....we had a $200 tab each time and we always tipped 20% (despite the less-than-great service we typically got). We were there for dinner last night and usually expect one thing or another to be "off" about the experience, sometimes our server is not very good/slow, sometimes the crab legs are cold... overall we have had "ok enough" dinners there so we've continued going.
Last night was the absolute worst experience we have ever had!! The service was horrible-we were going to the bar to get our own drinks half the time, we hardly saw our server! That's not acceptable when we ordered "all you can eat" crab legs!!! We spent more time waiting on the server than I ever have in a restaurant! Add to the bad service....after waiting for our server to come back to us, she finally comes back to let us know that they ran out of crab legs! She says there is a table in the dining room ordering 10 at a time! She says maybe they could get us a round of drinks to make up for it! No, we wanted to speak to a manager!! She comes back about 15 minutes later (another unacceptable wait) and says, "My manager doesn't have time right now, she said I can offer you a brownie or we can take off one of your crab dinners"
WHAT?!?! We were shocked! They had a table of 4 hungry people getting horrible service, run out of food and the manager "doesn't have time"??? And, we get ONE dinner taken off our tab?! Unbelievable!!
It just keeps getting worse though!!! Turns out.... that table of 10 in the other room is THE OWNER and his "friends"!!!!!! I can just imagine the group was getting comped food! There were plates full of crab legs just sitting around on that table but customers around the restaurant sure were not being well taken care of!
I've only seen things like this on tv shows about restaurants that are going out of business...the way this place is run, I'd be shocked if that weren't the case.

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Renee C
spring lake park
“dont waste your time or money”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We purchased a groupon and stopped in for our first time. My first impression was how dirty the place was. Garbage all over the floor, dead bugs in the window sills, dirty silverware. We ordered our food, the two items that were recommended to us, the ribs and the ribeye. The ribs very incredibly over cooked and dry with very little meat. The ribeye was just as bad. Half the steak was raw and the other half well done. No flavor to it at all. We had the augratins and garlic mashed. The mashed were good but the augratins were undercooked and flavorless. Maybe if the. Chef spent less time on his phone and drinking beer behind the bar the food could be better. I would consider hiring a new head chef. Aside from the negative our service was good.

• Visited September 2012