“Enjoyable”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Farmington
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

It was our first time at this restaurant. I had a Rachel served with roasted corn and coleslaw and my husband had a pot roast sandwich with tater tots. We both were very satisfied with the food. The portions were generous. My husband enjoyed an Alaskan Amber from their extensive beer/wine list. Our server, Maria, went out of her way to make sure we were happy with our choices. She brought my husband a sample of a beer for him to try and also asked a bartender what might be a good choice of beer for him. She also brought a sample of chili for us to try and made sure my water glass was full. We ate there at 1:15 on a Sunday afternoon. It was a nice sunny day and they had the roof open which gave you the feel of being outside while still being inside.

Visited July 2014

Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Food just Average at Best”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We've eaten here twice. On our first visit I ordered the Cajun burger with fries and the second visit I had the walleye sandwich with sweet corn (loose, not on the cob). Both of my sandwiches were quite bland in taste and flavor, and for the $11 & $13 price paid (respectively), I'm disappointed with their food. My wife on both visits ordered the hot lips Lucy burger with fries (spicy & stuffed with cheese) and she expressed disappointment with blandness as well.

They also serve their food in a plastic basket, which is separated by just a thin sheet of waxed paper. While eating the moist loose corn, I noticed it was very chewy. Turns out the wax paper was deteriorating in very small pieces and adhering to the corn while I was scooping with the spoon. This situation also exposed the corn to sit on the plastic basket, which made me wonder about the cleanliness of the baskets and exposure to ???.

Two poor experiences may not indicate a trend, but I suggest that you consider pursuing other dining options.

3 Thank G B
Lakeville
“Not as great as I had hoped”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I was super excited to try the Crooked Pint maybe more for the beer selection than the food. The wait was average 25 minutes at 5 o'clock on a Sunday, but the paging system was kinda cool. You could see the progression of the wait list and shows how long you've been waiting. The waitress was friendly and service was overall pretty good. The tap beer selections were better than average for this part of town. The food was just ok. My fish was great, the chips were solid, soggy and just warm. The pesto chicken salad was better concept than actuality. We were seated under a speaker and couldn't hear a thing at our own table. The patio was a let down only a handful of tables and really wasted space. My hope is it gets better as time passes.

1 Thank BeachedGirl
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Not as good as I once thought”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

In an earlier review I had indicated this was a terrific addition South of the River. I had eaten there on three occasions and enjoyed it very much. On the fourth visit I was very disappointed. Perhaps I simply made the wrong menu choice, which was a Reuben. It was too large to take a bite (the bread was thick and so was the corned beef) but the worst part was the corned beef. The slices were very thick and tough. Really tough. I even had a difficult time cutting it into bite size pieces with a knife. Admittedly, it was a butter knife but, it shouldn't have been that difficult. It was even difficult to chew. Everything else about the place was still good: nice surroundings, good service. I may or may not go back but if I do, it won't be for the Reuben.

1 Thank fobisque
Rosemount, Minnesota
“Crooked Pint F(Ale) House”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Mine and my wife’s latest adventure to find delicious food brought us back to a place we already tested, but additional items on the menu caught our attention the first time around. With that, we had to return for a second go round to see if those items that caught our attention were worthy of our return. Sadly, they were not!

With two locations and two different owners as well, the Crooked Pint F(Ale) House had some promising hopes after reading the menu and seeing all kinds of delicious sounding dishes that my wife and I wanted to try. Our first go round, we ordered their Fish Taco’s, their Beer Cheese Juicy and an order of their French Onion Soup. We all know what I settled on, so we'll tackle the 2 meals that my wife settled on first.

French onion soup, it’s a simple soup to make; broth of your choice (tends to be beef or vegetable), some garlic, S&P, a little thyme and/or bay leaves, onions, maybe a little wine, some bread crumbs or day old bread toasted, some butter and a little flour. Lastly and the most important ingredient if you ask my wife or I – MELTED CHEESE ATOP THE BOWL! It’s oh so delicious and my hand usually gets slapped when I try to steal the cheese off my wife’s bowl. If this is what you want, you won’t get it at the F(Ale) House. Why would you not include cheese with your French Onion Soup? I always push for people to make their foods stand out, but you should never remove something so important to a meal.

As our meals arrived to the table, our eyes had that “that looks tasty” look, but it was short lived. My wife started to take bites of her fish taco, prepared with deep-fried cod, cabbage slaw, pico, avocado, cholula mayo, and fresh cilantro. She quickly realized she wasn’t happy with her decision and finished just one taco. Not the best tasting fish and really not much for flavor either.

I started to dig into my juicy and was really looking forward to tasting this thing. Prepared by stuffing it with creamy beer cheese and served on a pretzel bun, topped with bacon, bistro sauce, haystack onions, and a slice of pepper jack. Sounds good, right? It had potential, but like their French Onion Soup, ZERO CHEESE to be found inside. Essentially, I had a large bacon & pepper jack cheese burger with an air pocket in the middle. Check out the Juicy Lucy Challenge to see how they did against the competition. Hint, not so good!

So, not the best first experience, but hey, we should give them another shot. Round two! My wife ordered their Buffalo Chicken Wrap which is prepared with melted bleu cheese, wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla and served with celery. No frills, no holy cows and nothing to brag about. "Hey honey, how is it?" She replied with a shoulder shrug and a "Meh, it is what it is!" So far, so good...

I went with their Lobster Grilled Cheese. The name alone will catch anyone's attention if you like seafood and grilled cheeses. I myself love seafood and thoroughly enjoy the grilled cheeses my wife and I create at home. There's just something about my wife's grilled cheeses that I love and we usually use a couple different cheeses and sometimes will through down a little parmesan to crust the outside. The F(Ale) Houses rendition included lobster, monterey jack, parmesan, garlic pepper sauce, avocado, and tomato on sourdough. What could go wrong?

It looked delicious, but not the best tasting at all. The lobster was far too fishy tasting and I mean the bad fishy taste, like bad fishy tasting sushi. I'm not sure where the cheese was on the inside and thankfully, the garlic pepper sauce I could sort of taste was actually pretty good. Here's my 2 cents for the Crooked Pint... Preparing lobster isn't a mystery, so tackle that first and foremost and put some cheese in the darn thing. It IS a grilled cheese by the way. Now that I think about it, I think the F(Ale) House has something against cheese! :) It was lacking in every meal they prepared that was SUPPOSE to have cheese included.

If you're fine with mediocre food, feel free to stop by and take a stab at their cuisine. They have plenty of brews on top to satisfy anyone and they even have wine on tap. As I mentioned earlier, ownership is different for the two locations. Maybe (that’s a big maybe) the Minneapolis location has a better culinary team. I have my doubts and will probably refrain from visiting the other location, but then again, I have a certificate for there to use up which by the way is not accepted by the owner in Apple Valley. Never really understood why the same company would have different “rules”, but oh well. Sorry F(Ale) House, but there are better spots to hit for food and we’ll stick to those.

3 Thank NicholasSG