“Nice to have in the burbs”
Review of Valley Tap House

Valley Tap House
Reserve with OpenTable
Valley Tap House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #50 of 73 Restaurants in Apple Valley
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Pub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice to have in the burbs”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

My family and I have been here a couple times - most recently during happy hour, pre-dinner on a Saturday. Service was ok, our waitress wasn't overly friendly but it didn't bother us. We ordered a few aps (at half price - nice from 3-7pm). We ordered the cheese curds and received a very generous portion of delicious curds. Honestly we couldn't finish them, and we both love cheese curds. We also ordered the walleye bits and they were also fantastic. Oddly enough our two year old loved them and ate the entire order (who knew)? We ordered our son the grilled chicken breast and that was fine - better then most places. My husband enjoyed a Surly - all in all it was a good experience. There were very few people there which was nice. Other times we have been it is always crowded and service can get slow - but love this place. It is nice to have the Tap House in the burbs. Will return.

• Visited April 2014

Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Identity crisis...”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Stopped in for a quick meal. The hostess sat us in the bar at a table right next to the kitchen. The kitchen is open for the general public to view. We were so close that when our food was ready they just handed it to us over the half wall! We were there during happy hour so the bar was busy. Our service was ok. The waiter wasn't overly friendly but we never waited for a full drink or our meal to be bussed. The title of my post is "identity crisis" because they are not sure what they want to be! Do they want to be a tap house, a barbeque joint or a nice restaurant? They have a little bit of all of that with the overpriced meat. I say meat because that is pretty much your ONLY option on the menu! The food was good but very limited options. The drinks are extremely overpriced unless you are there for happy hour! I ordered a standard mixed drink and it was $6! That is what it would be priced in downtown Mpls not Apple Valley! I would probably go back but would not bring kinds and would definitely go during happy hour!

• Visited April 2014
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Awesome!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Dined on Saturday morning for brunch! We sat at a table in the bar. Our food and service was excellent. My husband and I tried the nachos which we decided were the best we have ever had and also shared the rueben. The sandwich had a slab of corn beef, it wasn't shredded. We were so impressed, my husband took a picture and sent it to his friend, which his friend asked if we were at valley tap! Ha! Our waitress was very cheery and had answers to all of our questions. She recommended the bloody bar which was fun and also talked to us about how you started a new menu. We will be back for sure.

• Visited March 2014
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Limited range of appeal”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

So, this one is a WYSIWYG. It's a tap house, capiche? This is a place to go if you want a beer, a decent meal, and the game on in the bar. Personally, I'm not a huge beer drinker, but the available list is good, especially for Apple Valley. The food is tougher. This place definitely has a niche in AV; there's nothing else quite like it. But, it's a pretty limited menu, and you had better be a meat lover. Otherwise, there's not much for you. Not a very kid-friendly place either. For me, it's just average, nothing really special about it. And, for barbecue, I'd much rather go over to the Rack Shack in Burnsville. WAY better, and cheaper, too. If you're in AV and you want a beer and some food, it can be a good choice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go here. Also--a big note--make sure you have some serious time to spend. The service is S . . . L . . . O . . . W. I mean, really, really, really slow. So, don't stop here for a quick bite. You're in for the long haul.

• Visited December 2013
Twin Cities, MN
“Meat Lovers Place”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

The Tap House took over this large space a few years back after several places failed to make a go of it. They must be doing something right because the place was full on a frigid Friday with the roads a slippery mess of rutted ice.

We ate in at the bar. It has a warm feel to it and the bar attracts a surprisingly young, good looking crowd to this place in the middle of a bland suburb. There is an upbeat vibe in the bar without being overwhelmingly noisy.

The first bartender was average and a bit standoffish. When our son (a regular at the place) and his friends joined us, he became friendlier and more attentive. A second bartender took over after a while and she was spot on, removing empty plates and glasses promptly and frequently stopping by or looking over to see if we wanted anything.

This place is a tap house. A good selection of tap and bottled beers can be had. My wife, the wine drinker, had a more difficult time satisfying her drink preferences. The first glass of wine was sent back because it was to sweet. Wine choices are extremely limited.

We started with Scotch eggs and mussels in beer broth. The Scotch eggs (2) came cut in half with 3 mustards, pickled onions and pickle slices. The sausage coating on the eggs was a bit on the thin side so that the ratio of egg to sausage made the dish a bit on the dry side, especially when eating the part with the yoke. The yoke also tended to overpower the flavor of the sausage. The mustards were terrific and added much needed moisture. The onions and pickles were also very good. Overall: 5 out of 10 on the Scotch eggs.

The mussels came in a large mound in a bowl of broth with 4 slices of bread. The mussels were delicious and fresh. The broth was good but I occasionally got an acidic, burnt after taste that was unpleasant. I've had this dish at a sister restaurant, the Lyndale Tap House, and it did not have the unpleasant after taste. When I got to the bottom, I found a mussel with a broken shell. Mussels need to be fresh and alive. Dead ones can ruin a dish. Prepping mussels requires that mussels that do not close and mussels that have broken shells be discarded. This dead one got through somehow. The broken shell also broke apart further in the bowl, leaving little bits of shell in the broth that I had to fish out of my mouth. Not a good experience on this dish, but I would encourage anyone to try it. Mistakes happen.

This place is about meat. Beef and pork in particular. The hamburgers are huge and popular. We saw lots of them being served. My wife ordered a small plate of shells and cheese, a homemade version of macaroni and cheese with peas and bacon. This side portion was filling, creamy, cheesy and delicious. She then ordered the chicken wings. Big meaty three part wings were cooked to perfection. The Buffalo sauce was mild and needs more heat. They come with either Bleu cheese or ranch dressing. The Bleu cheese taste just like the ranch dressing with some Bleu cheese crumble in it. Bland and tasteless. Basically lumpy ranch.

I had the Buffalo pork pit. A generous portion of thin sliced char grilled pork on a toasted Kaiser roll with homemade Buffalo sauce, Bleu cheese dressing, Bleu cheese crumbles and celery slaw. The pork was tender and juicy. The homemade Buffalo sauce was delicious but needs a major infusion of heat to be taken seriously. The Bleu cheese was a joke as described above and, if I hadn't seen some white stuff drip from the sandwich, I never would have known there was Bleu cheese in there. Though there is room for improvement on this dish's accompaniments, the meat was great and the sandwich was delicious. It also came with a generous portion of hand cut, skin on fries that were excellent.

I've been to this place before but this was my first time for dinner. When the weather is nice, they have a great outdoor patio with an outdoor "hut" bar and a gas fireplace. It's a fun place for drinks so my impression of the place was as a bar/night club. They have DJ music on the weekends. The food exceeded my expectations based on my initial impressions. The average rating is based upon the miscue on the mussels. Had they caught the broken one, I would give it a "very good" rating.

We'll be back to try their other pit sandwiches.

• Visited February 2014