“Better than average tap list”
Review of Valley Tap House

Valley Tap House
Reserve with OpenTable
Valley Tap House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #51 of 73 Restaurants in Apple Valley
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Minnesota, United States
“Better than average tap list”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

A vegetarian walks into a tap house that specializes in "Baltimore Style Pit Meat" aka The Valley Tap House, situated nicely across the street from the Ford dealer where our new hybrid is being updated. Surprisingly, VTH has more vegetarian offerings that Old Chicago down the street, so decided to check out the beer as well.

As it turned out, the stop became a Stone tasting. Started with the Stone Smoked Porter as my appetizer and then moved to Arrogant B****** for dessert. In between, I had the pretzels with cheddar ale and honey mustard sauce.The cheddar ale sauce was very thin but had ok flavor.The sweetness of the honey mustard went much better with the soft and chewy pretzel sticks. Several other veggie items on the menu, and with this tap list, I'd happily stop in again to give them a try with friends.

Not much of a lunch crowd today, so I had some time to chat about the place with the bartender. She mentioned that the lines cleaned recently, so the fact that I had one of the best drafts of Arrogant B****** in a while—fresh and fell with a full lace—isn't surprising. My primary concern in a multi-tap, especially one in the suburbs, is whether or not the beer is moving well enough to give a good experience for the edgy beer at the end of the tap line that I will be ordering. Drinking familiar beers today, both Stone beers were very good, so it seems that VTP is selling enough beer to keep it fresh and presenting it well.

I made an argument to the bartender that I almost didn't come in because their website doesn't have a list of taps at all, much less an updated one. Also, at the Apple Valley location (another is on Lyndale in Minneapolis), thirty beers are being poured (even more taps since the heavy movers like Fate Tire and Honey Weiss have two lines) instead of the twenty listed on the website. Being that I live locally and had a reason to stop, it's no big deal. However, as I mentioned in my recent post on how I research a beer trip, the lack of a beer menu online is often a reason for scratching a bar from my to-drink list. Of the thirty taps, there wasn't a new beer among them for me, so no entry on the database for VTP; however, there was more than enough choice of old favorites to keep me happy today.

While not a beer destination, Valley Tap House is a perfectly fine stop that has a solid range of drafts to satisfy most beer geeks for a night out with a group of friends or family, especially those that lean towards the carnivore end of the eating spectrum. I've been meaning to get here for nearly a year because some meat eating friends recommended the place, so I think the food is as safe a bet as the beer.

PIctures at http://pintsizedrevelations.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-valley-tap-house-apple-valley-mn.html

• Visited August 2013

“Terrible”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My family stopped in around 3pm to a mostly empty restaurant. The six of us were seated and nobody returned to table. I called the front desk and asked if someone could come to table and they questioned me in disbelief. We waited a few minutes after call and quickly left. Don't waste your time here.

• Visited August 2013
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Better than last time”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We'd been here on a weekend ..sat outside in blazing sun with no shade...waiter was bust had to wait for everything...kinda soured us on the place but I was there mid day on a Tue and had great service, my Ice tea was refilled before other one ran out food came right awayn and was served hot ...and I was sitting in the shade. I had a pit beef bistro with mushrooms & peppers YUM ....will be back sooner than last time

• Visited July 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
“From The Pit Beef - Thai Dragon in a wrap. Mmmm.”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

My friend and I stopped in a Thursday this spring. The inside was scarce and the outside patio was happenin'. We sat at the bar so we could get quick service, eat, watch some Playoff hockey and then move outside. Well, we accomplished two out of the three things. The service was not very quick from the attractive, but clearly full of herself brunette. She was nice enough, but had other important things to do. However, the male bartender was attentive and cool enough to B.S. with us about his recommendations and hockey. I'm putting this in the review so you can expect slow service depending on who is bartending. Anyways, the recommendation on food we received was to try the Thai Dragon sandwich, in the Pit Beef section, but with a wrap and to try the pizza. We did both, they were great!! I highly recommend either of those options, but my favorite was the Thai Dragon wrap. Beer list is pretty good, but changes with the season, so be aware of that as well. Overall, I'll go back, hang in the patio, where you can smoke a cigar and have a relaxing evening.

• Visited May 2013
Apple Valley, Minnesota
“Terrible service, okay food”
Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

Plates were dirty, server was nice but disappeared after taking our order. Finally came back with our apps sans plates. Flagged down another server via walking to the hostess station and got plates. Grabbed utensils off another table. Plates were dirty, I.e wet food sludge. Food was okay but not worth the price. Don't bother.

Visited April 2013