“Great service!”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites Apple Valley
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Apple Valley
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were traveling up to Ely, MN and called the AmericInn 800 number to make reservations for Apple Valley for the
first night. The day we were to leave the manager called and said they had accidentally overbooked (800 #) and asked if we
would mind staying at an AmericInn five miles away. At first I was a bit irritated...but the manager was so nice and made reservations at the other hotel. He was quite apologetic and went out of his way to make sure we had nice accommodations. The place we stayed in was great...we appreciate that AmericInn Apple Valley cared enough to get us another room. We will definitely stay at the AmericInn Apple Valley on our next trip to MN.

Room Tip: Probably better to call an AmericInn directly for reservations during the peak vacation months.
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelThyme7

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Just spent 2 nights & really disappointed. I want to say in advance that I am not a disgruntled, hard to please person. I love to travel and I am not overly picky in my accommodations EXCEPT: I expect CLEAN, comfortable & a relatively safe environment/room. Its also a breath of fresh air when accommodations as advertised.
I booked a non smoking, disability accessible room for 2 adults and two sm. kids for a midweek stay. I booked several days in advance. I requested first floor OR as close of proximity to the lobby as possible. The rm. was to have a made up fold out sofa and I had requested extra pillows (In part due to disability for husband who needs to sleep propped up) I inquired about outlets in proximity to bed for medical appliances needed overnight, assured ALL would be in order and as requested. I called two days before arrival and again confirmed the queen disability access room w/fold out sofa, sofa to be made up as it would indeed be used, first floor, etc. AGAIN assured all would be fine.
Day of check in, guess what? NOT fine. We had been placed in a room with ONE bed for 4 people. Certainly, it was switched but not to the original, larger queen room with disability shower access, etc but rather to the third floor, which is the smoking floor...stunk horribly as soon as we got off the elevator. There was trash in the hallway near the elevator and in hallway to rooms. (Late afternoon arrival so any housekeeping should have long since been done) Again, it stunk so bad I inquired a passing maid if the room was smoking. She assured me no, the smoking rooms were further down the hall. Great....despite our room being a "non-smoking room" there were cigarette burn marks in the tubs edge and it was again, not disability friendly in access...there was an outlet in between the beds which was fine BUT in moving the nightstand in order to access the outlet, I discovered a huge crumbled pile of what looked like cookies? or bread? and a dirty diaper between the wall and bed/nightstand. The areas behind the beds have not had any attention by housekeeping in forever. The bed skirts were dirty, spots on them from previous guests. All in all? It was disgusting. I removed the dirty diaper, placed it in the plastic bag from trash and set it out in the pile earlier seen near elevator...where it sat for two days. (Really guys? Get a trashcan!) There are no security locks on the doors (The slide bar type) which was a little troubling to me given I read here there had been room theft at the hotel AND if your traveling with small children? They are handy to have in order to keep the novelty of them opening the room door all by themselves in the middle of the night from happening? Put something in front of the door overnight. We didn't "lose" anyone but my 3 year old grandson took great delight in opening the dead bolted door with ease. Note to owners: GET SLIDING DOOR LOCKS!
First time the toilet was flushed, it overflowed and required the front desk to bring a plunger and clean up the floor. The a/c while running when we got there, needed to be kept on 65 for most of our stay (I think the thermostat must have been going bad on it) The spa was tepid & out of order and the swimming pool was ice cold/not heated to a tolerable level, takes a long time to adjust for chilly swimming.
The beds are in serious need of replacement, you can feel the wires along the edges and they are not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination. Picture a many years old sofa sleeper at your Grandparents for some clue as to how well you'll rest. A stiff back is an almost guarantee.
For a wake up call on day two, I had to go down to the front desk to request it because no one would answer the front desk phone. One girl was sitting on a stool texting on her fashionable green cell phone & the other was talking to a couple of younger guys. They weren't "busy" helping other guests check in.
The continental breakfast is adequate and a money saver when combined with cost of the room but for two huge issues I had...if your going to offer self serve breakfast? Have time/staff dedicated for re-stocking of items and cleaning up for others who aren't polite enough to do it for themselves! Tables were dirty, waffle station was dirty with raw batter everywhere, no napkins or paper towels, no tongs for self serve biscuits, donuts, pastries...which means everyone is handling the stuff or digging down with their hands into the biscuit jar. Yuck! The canned sausage gravy is not kept at a safe temp...it was lukewarm first morning and second morning was out...when restocked by staff? Cold and put out....its not safe guys....
On the upside? Most of the staff are helpful and friendly....but there is also only so much they can do. The rooms were quiet enough, no noise from traffic or other guests that was awful or unexpected. The hotel is in close and easy proximity to many attractions, eating establishments, gas stations, etc.
This is the most negative review for a place Ive ever written but since I too USE trip advisor for a clue to other folk's experiences? I felt it important for other travelers to know that our experience was not a good one here. While I know in this day and age, we're suppose to grovel and be grateful for a room under a $100.00? This place should really be in the 55-60.00 a night range without some serious make over help. Be forewarned

Room Tip: Stay away from the third floor unless you smoke. Don't tell your children there is a pool unless...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mermaidtears2010
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Never had better service as a whole from owner mgr employees even housekeeping.. Every need met with ease and professionalism.. This is a must when u are living At a hotel because ur in between homes.. Life can be stressful it absolutely a pure joy everyday with cheerfully attitudes.. As life progresses I am under the impression customer service and hospitality is severely lacking as a whole .. Well not here.. It's apparent when u walk thru the door!! Truly exceptional.. Great amenities with great prices which is fantastic but mostly the hospitality is greatly greatly appreciated!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Mommajulz
Jake D, Public Relations Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Apple Valley, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review and we are so pleased that our team made your stay enjoyable. Come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed April 16, 2012

This is the second time staying at the Apple Valley AmericInn for us, and it won't be the last. I like the location, the staff is so nice, the breakfast is the best breakfast that any hotel puts out, there is a pool that has adults only after 10pm. My only beef is that the pillows are too thick, so I have to remember to bring my own.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I would call this an average hotel that has fallen behind. We stayed in the hotel two nights. My biggest complaint is the air quality. I have allergies to dust but the rest of my family does not and all of us had a hard time breathing through the night. There was an inch thick of dust in the vent in the bathroom!

Other than that, the rooms were not overly nice but nice enough, mattresses were comfortable (not too hard and not too soft), and they offered a breakfast in the morning. Swimming pool seemed clean and there is plenty of parking. It was also nice to have a fridge in the room.

I will say that the sound quality was excellent. I didn't hear any other guests and even though this hotel is located at a busy intersection I did not hear the traffic.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Good place great breakfast clean room parking on a Saturday nite not so much but will stay there any time

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We pulled up to the hotel and were worried. The parking lot had trash lying around. The room was very dated and not especially clean (cob webs above sink lights, stains on the couch and chair in suite, thick dust on top of head board and the walls need a good scrubbing). There was one bar of soap available in the room I guess we were supposed to share it between the sink and the shower. I did discuss the issues with the clerk at check out so hopefully the problems will be taken care of. There was a power strip with the fridge, microwave, TV and light plugged in to it. Does this meet fire code?

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Best Western Premier Nicollet Inn
Hampton Inn Minneapolis/Burnsville
Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis Burnsville
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Eagan

Been to AmericInn Hotel & Suites Apple Valley? Share your experiences!