“Trying different cuisine ”
Review of Cork - Anoka

Cork - Anoka
Ranked #13 of 67 Restaurants in Anoka
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Visited just recently to enjoy fresh ahi tuna tartar with paring wine great service friendly staff I have to wait a little but it's take a time to prepare a magic it was worth of every minute of wait I enjoyed it definitely come back

1  Thank Katz V
There are newer reviews for Cork - Anoka

Reviewed June 9, 2014

This is the "review" I sent to them:
Good morning,

Before I write a review on your Facebook page, I wanted to give it to you privately.

I was at your establishment last night with friends for the first time. The restaurant is set up nicely. Warm and inviting colors, and loved the local artwork!

We were greeted promptly and with a smile. Our server was very friendly and knowledgeable. She explained the concept and goal Corks wants their guest to experience. It was a little long-winded, but not bothersome. I am sure as word gets out, the explanation will be able to be cut down some. I felt bad more so for her having to repeat it to every table!

The wine selection was reasonable. It was not overwhelming, and well thought out.

For dinner, I ordered the lamb. It was delicious. The meat was cooked perfectly. The presentation was great.

While I was eating my dinner is when my Corks experience went south...

The chef, Billy, and his nephew approached me to get my feedback on how I liked my dish since Billy was apparently teaching him how to cook. This in itself would have been fine, however Billy was drunk! He was loud, obnoxious, AND he proceeded to talk about "smoking marihuana and f***ing s**t like that..." directly to us and his nephew. Really?!?! This was absolutely unacceptable and inappropriate! Billy throughout the remainder of our visit was loud and obnoxious walking around the restaurant and talking with fellow staff. I cannot stress strongly enough...this will ruin your business fast! He needs to lay off the sauce if he is working. I'm hoping he is a much more reputable chef when he is sober.

Last tidbit, more so a business pointer...the restaurant was getting close to closing time, and we were the last table there. Our server took our water glasses once we finished our water. This is a huge no-no in the industry (I've worked in restaurants for over a decade). She should offer us more water even if it is toward the end of the night. I know y'all want to leave, but if the concept of your restaurant is to create a relaxing experience where guests can enjoy themselves, you ended it with a feeling of getting asked to leave in a non-verbal manner. Not a good last impression. Yes, it may seem trivial, but it's all about impressions and how you respect a guest.

All-in-all, I have no desire to come back or recommend your restaurant at this point. I was so excited to try your restaurant, but this experience was so disappointing.

I hope you can take this review constructively, and make the necessary changes. I know Corks could be great if done right.

This is the only response I received:

Thank you for your feedback. .. we will deal with this. ...sorry

8  Thank JRo98
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband and I value good food and we delighted with Cork. We had the 4 course chefs selection to share. The portions were generous and excellent.
(1) salad greens with goats cheese, tomatoes, marinated mushrooms and red onions
(2) warmed olives and garlic
(3) trout wit jasmine rice and red sauce
(4) rib eye steak with roasted asparagus, corn purée and mashed potatoes woth truffle sauce
(5) berry cheese cake and strawberries dipped in chocolate with raspberries and blackberries

I highly recommend if you want a causal dining experience with great food. We will definitely be back.

1  Thank Kim R
Reviewed May 7, 2014

A co-worker and I often chat about misc. places we find that have really good food and/or a really unique environment. Cork is the most recent of these findings.

Cork falls firmly in the former versus the latter. Don't get me wrong, it's not a dumpster fire of a place to visit. Anything but! Aside from a few nice touches, it's very much so what you'd expect in a small, outlier suburb when it comes to the experience itself. The service was good but small townish (waitress brought a bread refill out and used her hand to place it in our basket). Not inherently a bad thing, though it can be off-putting to some. Do keep in mind this is a small family-owned business so the hired help is very different than you'll find at places where you'll usually find food of this quality.

So, with that said, the "negatives" at cork are pretty minimal. And, as far as I'm aware, they don't really bill themselves as a fine dining establishment. Where they really shine is the food! Which was impressive given the chef doesn't have any professional training. We opted to split the six course and they were willing to accommodate with an additional charge (we had three people) which was perfectly acceptable. We split a bottle of wine from a pretty good selection given their location and size. Overall, the food was amazing! It had a couple of "low" points as well as some highs...which will happen with a six course meal. Most importantly, they spaced the servings PERFECTLY, taking us about 2.5 hours! I can't stand when places rush food out the door while not giving you a chance to enjoy what you're eating.

Our first course was the Apple Apricot Salad. They do an ever changing menu, so who knows if you'll find this. Personally, I'm seldom impressed with salads and not a fan. But all three of us thoroughly enjoyed this one! Light, flavorful and a great start!

Next up was their Fried Gnocchi. Generally, we love this simple dish. This one was done with shitake mushrooms, herbs, garlic and goat cheese. Unfortunately, the sauce was too over powering and we weren't overly impressed with this dish. It was good...but not well balanced.

Our third dish was the highlight of the meal: whole rainbow trout. It was fresh, perfectly cooked and the mango corn salsa added a whole other level of fresh flavor. One of the best fish dishes we've ever had. Period.

Fourth came the baked penne. Really, not a lot to say here. It was good, but also was essentially your run of the mill baked penne. I think the cheese could have used a bit of time in the broiler to add another level of complexity to the flavor, but that's me. It was a HUGE dish and made for some good leftovers, though!

After all of this, they brought out the seared rack of lamb. My wife wasn't overly impressed, but did like it. She's also not a big fan of lamb. Our friend and myself, however, felt this one came close to rivaling the fish. It was cooked to perfection and had excellent pairings!

Lastly was the PB&J cheesecake. Yup...you read that right. I believe they order in the cheesecakes. Either route, it was a good end to a great meal. It had a mint raspberry sauce that had to be eaten a certain way (IMO) to properly enjoy it. Otherwise, the mint would be overpowering and detracting. This is where more education on the side of the waitstaff would be helpful.

Value here is kind of hit and miss. With a six course meal split three ways (and there was NO shortage of food as they made adjustments to accommodate this) and a nice bottle of wine, our final tab was about $160 after tip. You won't get the small details in the environment and service, so I can't say it's a great value. But the food was definitely on par with places that charge the same or more.

Overall, this a very good restaurant...especially when you consider where it's located. Quality, fresh food prepared in wonderful ways! If you're in the area, it's worth checking out for sure. And if you're not? Could be worth a little road trip. Enjoy!

2  Thank alstensby
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Remember when you heard those words used about a place it was a special"date night" option for VSM(very special moments). It's your call on that. And here in the NW suburbs places like this hare hard to come by. A menu that's uncomplicated that rotates on availability of fresh items sets it aside from its neighbors. Decent wine selection along with deserts made from scratch(not overloaded with sugar). Throw in house bread baked from scratch as well and if you wander in for breakfast during the week, the same applies for their breakfast sausage. I've wandered into this place for breakfast as well as dinner and wasn't the the least bit regretful for it. I've read some negative comments about this place on one particular blog and I have one thing to say. Don't you think all the fine dining spots, casual as well as high -end didn't start out on the rough side for the first year before they were in sync. This place has the potential to be one of the next great dining experiences in the Twin Cities. I have lived in this state my entire life, so I have a good idea of what a good dining experience should be. The crew at the Cork does too.

3  Thank sconehunter

Been to Cork - Anoka? Share your experiences!