“Needs help!”

Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Was there as event planner for groom's dinner. Had been there 23 yrs. ago and nothing has changed. They have a gem on the lake, but the outside is beyond worn out, furniture in hallway had fabric ripped off and stuffing showing. The Miltona room, for the groom's dinner, was dingy, stained carpet, had to ask the staff to redo some tables. Had to rearrange some furniture and plants outside the space myself to make it look semi-inviting. The suite the groom's parents were in was so outdated, dark, smelly-I think it was the same furniture from 23 yrs. ago. The groom was in a room with a murphy bed and conference table. The staff was good-my room actually was redone at some point and was nice. Check-in is chaotic-only 2 staff on duty. They have beautiful cottages and homes on the property to stay in-put some money into the rest of the place. It is a shame, because it could be a jewel. I would never have an event there, nor would I stay there.

Room Tip: I was on the 4th floor and my room was newer, clean, and very big.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your room and that our staff was accommodating. I am sorry you were disappointed with the room that the grooms dinner was held. We are starting a major renovation of our conference space this fall so you will definitely see immediate improvements to the conference space. I can assure you that the furniture in our suites is only a few years old, and we have replaced any furniture that is worn or dated. Thank you again for your feedback. I hope you return to Arrowwood Resort again in the near future!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Very dated rooms, needs work. Rooms were spacious. Balcony seemed dirty. Large resort, didn't seem very family friendly other than the waterpark. Lots of walking to get anywhere, not very easy with the group of children. We ate at the outside deck area, seemed to be just a place for golfer s , felt out of place with the children. There is no good place here to take your family to eat. Food was ok , but overpriced .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2013

It was a little dated and over-priced. The staff was helpful but that was about it. I ate one meal in the restaurant, just a burger and fries and there wasn't anything special about that either. The resort is just a outside of town, near a bike trail that looked like a good trail.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here 10 years ago attending a conference. I returned for a conference and I was looking forward to staying here as my memory of the place was awesome. I was very disappointed with the food at supper. Potatoe salad, cole slaw, chicken and ribs. With the worse angel food cake and strawberries I have ever had. The strawberries had more sauce then berries and the cake had holes and was tough!! The breakfast buffet wasn't much better. I knew I was eating scrambled eggs just not sure what they did to them. Didn't like them. The juice was different, not so watered down, but not quality I was expecting. Now for the room. Had a suite, nice room, but had water spots in the living area, wall paper coming loose, and the shower head came from Walmart, not to forget the loose carpet in the bedroom! All fixable minor things. Know it's expensive to update, but little things like this wouldn't take much.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Quite pricey for a small room, however, lakeview was fantastic. Played 18 holes of golf with cart upwards of $100. for two people. Staff very friendly.

On the 4th they had fireworks show that was way beyond comparison. One of the best I have ever witnessed. This alone was worth the price.

Madden's resort is price comparable, however, it includes breakfast and dinner, plus golf. This was room only, not even discounted golf or restaurant. Still..very fun for a long weekend.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for lakeside, will pay more, but worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Dirty, dated, dilapidated, and disappointing all-around.

Overall (C-). Overall, the breakfast buffet's orange juice was a fitting metaphor for our stay. It said "Florida Orange Juice" on the container. Despite being really great at one time, it was really watered down and over-priced. I should have just had water.

Pricing (D-). Their prices reflect how highly they think of themselves. When we made our reservation, we were quoted $245/night; at check-in this price had increased to $279. I'm not afraid of spending this kind of money for a hotel room when it represents a value proposition.

Ambiance (D-). I was expecting much more for this price, but the room was comparable to that of a truck-stop Motel 6. Carpet was too dirty for our 3 kids under age 3. The outdoor music was conveniently situated outside our window, despite being in the "family wing." A special touch feeding bottles to our babies bottles to "Low Rider" and "Ice Ice Baby" karaoke at 10pm. The dust-crusted silk flowers in the bathroom rounded out the motif and conveyed all the charm and elegance of 1983.

Big Splash Waterpark (B-). The kids enjoyed the waterpark. I liked that it had a good number of lifeguards and that the max depth was 4'6" so we didn't have to watch the kids too closely. Chipping paint and rust. Not bad for Alexandria; not good most other places.

Food (C+). The food was okay if you were at Perkins, but in no way approached the quality one would expect from the cornerstone kitchen of a resort. Apparently $279/night doesn't get you a free bagel here. The only thing missing from the $10 breakfast buffet was the cook from my high school. Even the orange juice was watered-down. The catered food at the wedding the night before was an 8/10 (loses points for gravy on a Fillet Mignon).

Parking (D+). What parking?

Customer service (A+). Despite their surroundings, the staff tried to make it right both interpersonally and financially.

Special Events (B+). Those who planned the wedding we were at said the staff were exceedingly helpful and responsive.

Room Tip: The townhomes or cottages were the only rooms we saw that represented a fair value proposition.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ChadGriswold
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This resort was beautiful!! A little updating needed as far as paint touch ups. Great location, great amenities, along with great dining!! Definitely a resort we will be returning to. Full marina with boat, pontoon, and jet ski rentals. The city of Alexandria also has great shops to accomodate week long vacationers with bait, groceries, dining options etc. So many things to do along with the lake there is an 18 hole golf course along with a miniature golf course that is lit well for night golf. Lots of playground equipment for little ones along with sand volleyball courts, fire pit for evening fires and both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. The resort even offers a spa, time did not permit me to check into it but was definitely an amenity. Very nice cottages and townhouse are available for rent also for large groups. There were many options for conventions or events as there were many weddings going on while we were there. We did not have a chance to do any fishing but we could see many on boats reeling them in on Lake Darling. Our room was on the back with a balcony facing the lake which was beautiful to sit on any time of the day. Many people had ground floor rooms with decks and just about everyone was sitting out on those. We ate two meals at the main restaurant and the pasta buffet and breakfast buffet and both were very good!! Although we were in for a wedding this would be a great resort for family vacations and/or reunions.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Staci M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
Best Western Alexandria Inn
#2 of 12 in Alexandria
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!