“Great location but needs updating” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Owatonna, MN
“Great location but needs updating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed here for a work conference and found the accomodations to be nice, but old. My room was dark, but clean. The bed was great and the sheets were soft. I loved having my patio door open with the cool breeze coming off the lake. There are many things to do from kayaking to indoor tennis. The also have a water park. That too seemed very dark. I ordered room service and the food was good, not great. The walleye I had tasted a little fishy. They forgot items that I had to call back and have brought up. The food isn't cheap, but what is when you're ordering room service. The staff was friendly with the little interactions I had. The breakfast buffet was pretty good in the morning. Overall and average place with a great setting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor! I am glad you found your room to be nice and clean! We have just finished our extensive guestroom renovation so I would be excited to know what you think about our newly renovated rooms on your next visit. I also appreciate the feedback on room service. Thank you for letting us know we missed some items and the opportunity to "make it right!" I was also happy to read that you liked our beds and sheets! Our guests love our beds! Thank you again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

Just got back from a 2 night stay for a business conference. Pretty much an average hotel. My room was dark and cold. They switched all light bulbs in the room to CFL, but choose to go with the lowest wattage possible (I'm guessing). If you want to be able to see in the bathroom, turn on the light and come back 5-10 minutes later. Room was freezing cold on arrival and the in room AC is an antique, knobs don't turn and even if they did I couldn't read any of the labels, so I choose to leave the patio door open the entire time I was in the room (helped a little). Then again I think I would have had the door open anyway just to breathe...the mold/mildew smell from the AC was awful.

Saw pictures on someone else's review of the bottom of a door that was chipped and moldy, mgmt replied and said the repaired or replaced all the doors....that was a LIE, my rooms bathroom door was disgusting, looked just like the picture, and so was the bathroom door in an associated room. There was wallpaper ripped off the wall in one of the elevator lobbies, made it look like they don't care.

That was the bad here is the average... staff was friendly, Deck Bar was very nice place to hang out in the evenings. Just wish they wouldn't use half of the shaded part of the bar as a manager's office. A couple of misting fans on the sunny side of the bar would make it pleasant. Food was ok and drinks were reasonable. I had the breakfast buffet one morning, average but not a lot of selection.

Like I said before in my opinion it's average. Not worth much more than the conference rate that I paid for the room. Glad I was there in the summer, because I think the views and the grounds made up for a lot. If it had been winter, it would have dropped to 2 stars.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate the feedback regarding the lighting and the AC in your room. I apologize that you were cold, in the future, please let us know and we will send maintenance up to address the issue immediately. We are working on replacing or repairing the bathroom doors in the rooms that have need of replacement. We hope to have this completed soon. We also just completed upgrades to our elevators and the wall paper has been replaced in the elevator lobby where the outside call buttons were replaced with new ones.

I was happy to read that you enjoyed our outdoor Deck Bar and Grill and you found the staff of the resort to be friendly! We hope to welcome you back to Arrowwood Resort in the near future!
Minneapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Our sleep room was big and it appears they have been updated in the last year or so. Although it appeared dirty and not well attended to. The restaurant was NOT good... the chili had no tast; the hamburger we had had no real taste to it; the service was poor and generally to me the place was not very clean. There is one working elevator and there is this sense they are running out of money to maintain the facility the way they should. I remember the days when Carlson Company ran this facility and then you were talking about quality and awesome food. It is a place to go but it has alot of work that still needs to happen in the facility.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closer to the main desk--you can walk a "mile" if you are at the end of the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank HLICguy
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I sincerely apologize that you didn't feel that the Chili and Hamburger you had didn't have any taste to it! We normally receive very positive comments about our food quality in the Lake Cafe. We share these comments with our staff, so the Chef can take action to correct any issues. I also apologize for only having one working elevator during your stay with us. We just finished upgrading our elevators for reliability and safety so on your next visit, I can assure you, everything will be in working order. Thank you again for your comments!

Travelers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

I just returned from a 3 day stay for a conference at Arrowwood. Being from Minnesota, I have heard about it all my life ( my parents went here for their honeymoon) but have never been. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. As I said I was there for a training conference so a lot of people. I knew there was at least 2 other conferences going on at the same time......you never would have guessed. The staff was very pleasant and if there was ever a problem, it was tended to immediately. The room was spacious with a gorgeous view of the lake. I sat out on the deck each night and it was so peaceful. The bed was extremely comfy with plenty of perfectly sized pillows! I wish i would have asked where they are from.

We were able to use the fire pit and other amenities without issue. I was very impressed. I did not get a chance to go to the waterpark and the pool deck wasn't open yet so I can't say much about those...pool deck did look nice and they were doing some maintenance on it. I would love to return to Arrowwood with my family for a little weekend getaway. I am on the board of our association and will be recommending we return to Arrowwood.

I was told the wine tour at the local Winery was awesome..

Room Tip: Make sure you get a lake view!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TheWorldAwaits936
We appreciate the great comments about Arrowwood! Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! We look forward to having you back to Arrowwood as a family and look forward to you group returning again next year. Thank you again!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

I stayed at the Arrowwood Resort for a conference that lasted 3 days. The room was large and nice with a refrigerator and microwave, seemed like new carpet, draperies, bedding, etc. I scheduled a spa treatment for the next day and when I arrived for the appointment (5 minutes early as directed) the door was locked with a sign on it that everyone was busy and to call their number for assistance. I saw no one was at the front desk through the door window. I waited 10 minutes at the door and still no one came to the front desk area. I walked down the hall and back again, thinking that there should be someone there, as they knew I had an appointment. Still no one. By this time it was 15 minutes after my appointment time. I called the number on the door and left a message about the door being locked and the question of "what happened to my appointment?" I waited across the hall at the indoor pool for an answer. At ten minutes before 5 I was called and the spa staff said they didn't know the door had locked and the person who was scheduled to give me my treatment was busy with a 50 minute massage and still had about 20-30 minutes left! She did apologize but said they were getting behind as the afternoon progressed. I was so disappointed and let her know that I had counted on this appointment. She suggested I come in after 20 minutes but the conference I was at had dinner at that time and I would end up missing the meal. I was asked if I wanted a discount coupon for another visit. I explained that I was only here for the conference and this was the time I reserved and missing dinner was not an option nor was scheduling for the next day.
It was very poor planning on the part of the spa staff to be that far behind . If you're thinking of scheduling any spa treatment, think again....because you may not get what you expect. Very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
arrowwoodgm, General Manager at Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, April 27, 2012
I want to thank you for reviewing Arrowwood Resort on TripAdvisor. I am very happy to know you enjoyed your room and food at the Resort. I sincerely apologize for the service at the spa! Our spa staff normally do an incredable job and the negative experience you had with your appointment is not commonplace. I have taken the appropriate action with the spa to ensure it won't happen again. Thank you again for your review! We look forward to serving you again in the future!
Clear Lake
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed at Arrowwood for only one night. It was spendy as are most waterparks but it was kindof disappointing. Our room appeared very clean and it was a good size. It was myself, my husband and our two small children. Our biggest complaints or concerns are these: To get to the waterpark from our room (pushing a stroller) we had to walk from one end of the hotel to the other to access the one set of very slow elevators and then back again to access the waterpark itself. Always took us 10-15 min to get to and from from our room. Also, the waterpark itself felt very dark and dingy and even dirty. My children are very little and we sat in the water that was only 4" deep, while sitting there we could see the mold/mildew on the side walls of the pool. Looks like the whole park could use a good scrubbing and painting to refresh the look. As I said earlier, our room appeared clean, when it was time for bed and we pulled back the bedding we found not one, but two bloody kleenez stuck in the sheets. ICK!!!! Our kids had fun and overall we had a decent stay but for that money we will definatly try somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments about Arrowwood Resort and for expressing your concerns. In regards to the slow elevators, we are currently renovating our elevators to better serve the needs of our guests. I apologize that one of the elevators was out of service during your stay, we have tried to stay pro-active in assisting our guests during this renovation time period. We have also contracted with a pool company to do some renovating of the Big Splash Indoor Waterpark. I can't possibly imagine how the dirty tissues ended up in your bed. That is simply inexcusable and I appreciate you letting us know so we could take corrective action and make it right! We look forward to your next visit!
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2012

We recently stayed at Arrowwood Resort when we were in town for a volleyball tournament. In fact, we had a number of rooms--the whole team and their families stayed. Despite being totally full, the front desk and check in was very efficient. Our rooms were ready, and they worked hard to get our group as close together as possible. Even though this is an older hotel, it has been kept up well and looked as if the rooms had be updated recently. The waterpark area was a plus for the kids. (If I had young children I would try to go when it wasn't as busy. It was a bit small & chaotic for the number of people that were there that evening.) We booked the spring break package that came with pizzas/pop. However, the pizzas could not be taken into the waterpark. Not a huge deal, but I thought this was odd being that the pizzas were from the hotel anyway (not an outside source)? Overall we had a nice time with the group and during our stay at Arrowwood.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room facing the lake... Also, specify if you want to be close to the waterpark or...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the wonderful comments about traveling to Arrowwood with your volleyball group! We appreciate the feedback! We look forward to hosting your team again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
Holiday Inn Alexandria
#10 of 12 in Alexandria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Arrowwood Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!