“Sad”
Review of Weston Station - CLOSED

Weston Station
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Your experience begins in a restored 1950 railroad dining car. Imagine fine dining as it was in days of old, or be seated in an open kitchen concept dining room as you watch our chefs prepare your dinner. Our chefs create unique and exceptional food you won't find anywhere else. Located in Alexandria, Minnesota, 3 miles east of downtown on County Rd 82. Reservations recommended.
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

I was hoping for so much more, food was ok, if you were a party under four. Took a LOnG! Time for drinks so we ordered 2 right away. Great atmosphere, service was lacking but only because she had a large party and small tables, not enough staff to support her even-though it was a call ahead party.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We visited again but the trill was gone .Food was good with the wife having the steak weston style and myself the ribs .Both were good but not great as before .The ribs were a dry rub and tasty but a little to much "dry" Should have included a vegetable selection with the cost of the entree .Mushrooms on the "Weston Style steak were just there . A little canned if you ask me .Considering it was Friday night and we were one of two couples there this might be an indicator,.But phone staff insisted we make a reservation ?? .Server was very nice and friendly and attentive but l feel sorry for her if the visitor rate dosn`t improve . Good luck in the future but need to address some things in order to survive

941Belinda_G_12, Owner at Weston Station, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit to Weston Station and for sharing your dining experience with us - we genuinely value our customers thoughts and experiences - it helps us to better the dining experience for current and future guests for years to come. We do ask that people make reservations just so that we can accommodate you better, even if we end up not being extremely busy. We appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I ate here on our anniversary weekend stay in Alexandria, mid-September 2013. We had 8 pm reservations on a Friday and when we arrived, we were promptly sat in the train car seating area. (It's basically a restaurant attached to an old railroad dining car. We chose to sit in the dining car area.)

We ordered our drinks, a Crown Coke and a dirty vodka martini, with Grey Goose. What came out was two low balls, the Crown was great, the martini wasn't dirty and shouldn't have been served in a low ball. Put it in a martini glass for the lady! They did bring it out finally in a martini glass but said they didn't have Grey Goose because they ran out, but the bartender swapped it for Belvedere (and still charged $2 more for premium). Not great, but we went on to ordering.

We were very hungry so we got the Carpaccio de Manzo as an appetizer. Delicious, for $15 it was worth it. They had Prime Rib on and my wife got the Queen cut. I ordered the Sirloin ala Weston (with garlic) with 4 grilled shrimp. My wife got a side salad, I ordered a side of French Onion Soup. I am normally a cream soup guy, but the only other option was tomato basil. So I went French Onion, and am glad I did. I thought it was good, but my wife is the French Onion Soup aficionado. She loves Granite City's FOS and she said Weston's was even better than theirs. So Good! Her salad was just a salad. When the steaks came out, they were BOTH perfectly cooked. We got a big side of horseradish and au jus, and it was sooo good. Total bill 97 (Carpaccio, Sirloin + Shrimp, Queen Prime Rib, 1 Crown, 1 Martini, 1 Tap Beer, 1 wine flight)

The three knocks I have on the place are: 1) Their tap water is undrinkable. Too irony, too bitter. It's supposed to be tasteless. Get a filtration system if your water source is that bad or just don't offer it. 2) During our steaks, my wife ordered a white wine trio flight. 3 different wines, 2 oz pours. When the guy brought out the flight, there was a problem. The culprit was our table cloth. It's a combo of paper and cloth and it gave the appearance that the table was wider. When he placed the flight on the what he thought was the table, it fell. He was very apologetic and quickly replaced the flight. He came back as we were finished and offered to buy us a dessert. Very classy. 3) Heard the table next to us make the claim that their bottle of wine must have been opened a few days ago. The waitress brought out a brand new bottle and re-poured for the table. Not sure of the etiquette for how long an open bottle of wine should be served, but they made up for it. Bonus beef: Between the two dining cars, there is an elevation difference. It's a gentle ramp, but it's probably 3 inch difference. I watched 3 patrons stumble on this ramp, and 2 servers! Put a sticker there, of if possible fix the difference. Someone is going to trip and fall I fear.

All in all, I would give it a 4.5 stars. Very good food, attentive servers, and good value for the money. A very nice place to celebrate a special occasion. Thank you!

2  Thank Rolemodel12

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience on your recent anniversary trip out to Weston Station to celebrate such a great occasion! Thank you for your honesty and thorough review, I apologize on behalf of my staff and myself about no martini glass and the wine flight falling to the floor. We take our customer feedback seriously and use it to help make for a better dining experience for current and future guests. We will definitely put your thoughts into consideration. I'm so glad you had a lovely experience and we hope to see you back again sometime soon, Happy Anniversary.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We eat here every year when we're at Miltona on vacation. It's delightful to eat in the train car.
My husband had the steak and it was perfectly prepared. I've enjoyed the walleye as well as the sweedish meatballs. They make their own blue cheese dressing which is a stand-out. The home made brownie is also delicious. The wait staff was very friendly and it has a personal, family owned feel. Nice to eat somewhere that isn't a big chain.

1  Thank Lilibet1121

Thank you so much for your kind review and visit to Weston Station during your recent vacation to Miltona. We appreciate our customer feedback as much as we value our customers, we appreciate you taking the time to leave your thoughts on your experience and we look forward to seeing you next year on your vacation to Miltona!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Weston Station was once a family favorite where we celebrated many occasions and always took out of town guests. Since new management has taken over a lot of the wonderful staff have quit or been fired. The great chef and friendly, compentent bartender have gone. The food has went downhill while prices have went up. On a recent visit the walleye was very fishy and not fresh at all. It was inedible. The quality and prepartion of a steak was very dissapointing as well. On our last and final visit, they could not even manage to honor our reservation and were not even apologetic in the least. We will not be back.

3  Thank Lunapollo
Belinda G, Owner at Weston Station, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

I'm very sorry that your last trip to visit our restaurant was not a pleasant one. I want to personally apologize for the mishandling of your reservation, it is always our number one goal and priority to provide our guests with the best service and experience possible, we mis recorded your reservation and for that I apologize. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continually improve the dining experience and atmosphere for future guests.

I would like to note that we are not under any new management, we have been the same owners for the past five years. We do however have new additions to our wait staff and kitchen help that are great team members to have in our wonderful dining atmosphere. Again we thank you for your review, we will continue to utilize feedback to ensure our guests have an amazing dining experience with us for years to come.