“Worth the detour from Detroit Lakes”

Carlos Creek Winery
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Alexandria
More attraction details
Owner description: The Official Wine of Minnesota FUN! Enjoy sampling & drinking our award winning wines surrounded by our vineyards & orchards. Bring your family and friends and enjoy the many exceptional activities and events we offer.We're open 361 days of the year. Complimentary self-guided tours through our wine cave are offered during our open hours. Owner's Production Tours are offered Saturdays at 1:00 and 3:00 for $5. Wine sampling is $9 for 5-6 samples of wine and includes a souvenir Carlos Creek wine glass. We offer live music from 2:00-6:00 every Saturday, plus Fridays & Sundays during the Summer. The second weekend after Labor Day we host our Grape Stomp and Fall Festival where over 800 people will stomp grapes.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We arrived here Just in time for the winery tour ( unplanned but well worth it) I have been to a couple other MN winery tours but the best part of this was being able to go into the cellar and see the wine ageing in oak.. I thought it was very interesting that most of the barrels come from California but are made from Minnesota white Oak. we then had the tasting that was free as we had our Winery passports with us..we have gotten the hot dish red before and liked it so we went more for summer sipping wine..got two bottles of White Marquette ( Wonderful!) , a bottle of Peach Street and one of harvest white both light and very drinkable.
The only drawback is that it is somewhat hard to get to coming from the north ( not on 94) a lot of county roads and many turns at least according to Map Quest.

1  Thank MinnScooter
riverbound, Owner at Carlos Creek Winery, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour! Our barrel cave is a favorite with our tour guests, and also a favorite spot for wedding photos. We've even used it as a tornado shelter once - a happy spot to wait out a storm! Our Peach Street has been extremely popular this year since it won the Chairman's Award - Best in Class at the Riverside, CA International Wine Competition.

And thanks for letting us know about the difficulty you experienced navigating from the North. The most direct route from the North does take you on a number of County roads - thankfully they are all paved - and we think it's a most scenic drive! Please stop again when you are in Alexandria.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The wine tasting room is open to both a café area where live music was playing and a small fun gift shop. There were families with children, older couple, young couples and groups of friends all having a great time here. It's a popular venue for weddings due to the beautiful grounds. The wines were awesome - I had no idea that I'd love these locally crafted wines made from fruit grown right at the winery.

Thank you for the great review! One of the things I love best about our winery is the multi generational attendees. It's so fun to see couples in their 70s dancing to our live music and next to them are a couple of toddlers bopping around to the same beat. There are not too many places where all ages can have a good time together and we are happy to be one of them. Stop by again when you are in the area.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

If you are in the Alexandria area, it would be foolish to leave without a visit to Carlos a Creek Winery. Lovely interiors that feel like a welcoming place to taste wine, enjoy a glass and maybe a bottle. We truly enjoyed those we tried and appreciated the knowledgable staff and ambiance. The grounds were lovely and it was a great stop on our trip.

riverbound, Owner at Carlos Creek Winery, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Thank you so much! Keeping our grounds looking nice has been a challenge this year with the long winter and the wet spring so we appreciate your positive feedback more than you can know. Cheers!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

3 of my high school friends got together for a few days. I planned an 'outing' but didn't tell them where we were going. They were pleasantly surprised when we stopped at Carlos Creek! They had never been there before but thoroughly enjoyed it! Francine ( I hope I spelled that correct) proceeded to explain the wine tasting event. She was GREAT! She added to the fun as she helped my friends purchase a gift for me without me knowing. The wine selection was very good. Yes, we all walked a way with a wine purchase.

Thank you so much for the great review! I agree that Francie is terrific - I am continually reminded of how fortunate we are to have such a great team working in our tasting room. They enjoy their work, our customers and each other. I'm glad you found some favorites to take home with you as well. I hope you're able to make a return visit.

Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was our second trip to Carlos Creek. The first week of June, Dawn & I travel to Woodland Resort for a week of fishing and when the weather doesn't cooperate, we take in the other attractions in or near Alexandria. Last year was our first visit to Carlos Creek. After the pleasant and educational experience there, it has become a permanent stop on our itinerary! The grounds are well kept and the store and wine bar are exceptionally clean and well stocked! The staff have been kind and courteous while explaining the various wine selections. For a $7.00 wine tasting fee, you are able to select 5 wines for sampling and get to keep the glass you use as a souvenir. My wife's favorite wines were the Carlos Creek Specialty wines: Apple/Blueberry - White Marquette - Hot Dish Red & You Betcha Blush. We have yet to take the tour but will be doing so in the future. When in the Alexandria area, do not miss this great local winery. It is well worth the trip.

1  Thank Stephen K
riverbound, Owner at Carlos Creek Winery, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Thank you Stephen for the wonderful review! I'm so glad Carlos Creek is part of your annual visit to the Alexandria lake area. We look forward to your next visit and hope you are able to take in a tour.