Super 8 Alexandria MN
Best Western Alexandria Inn(Alexandria)(Great Value!)
$110
$169
Travelocity
$104
TripAdvisor
All reviewsroom was cleanstay there againconvenient locationthe breakfast areain townother guestsfree breakfastdebmotelbedsreclinermnsurgerypopcorntargetperkinsfreeway
Reviewed August 8, 2010

A few days before staying at this motel I read a very negative review on this site that had me quite concerned. While I was at the motel I had a very positive experience, yet I can fully understand why a person who was assigned the wrong room might want to leave immediately as the reviewer in question did. Here's why: this motel has a section of rooms on the ground floor that are designated as smoking rooms. As one might expect, a smoking room reeks of smoke. Some of that smell permeates the hallways, particularly the ground floor hallway, and it is very likely that the smoking smell would affect non-smoking rooms that are adjacent to the smoking section on the ground floor.

I was lucky. The two non-smoking rooms that we were assigned were on the second floor, where there are only non-smoking rooms. Our rooms were immaculately clean, quiet, and well maintained. The air quality in the rooms was just fine. The beds were the most comfortable budget motel beds I have slept in for a long time and even surpassed the comfort of many luxury hotels in which I have stayed. Everything about my stay was as good as one could possibly hope for at a Super 8.

I would highly recommend this motel if a person were to stay in the half of the second floor closest to the frontage road in front of the hotel. That way you will be far from the smokers. If they were to close the ground floor smoking section and decontaminate it, something far overdue, I would recommend the entire property. It is well-run by a friendly, efficient staff.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank redlands
Reviewed August 6, 2010

We walked into our room at the hotel, took one look (and smell) and left. We had already pre-paid for the room and were not getting our money back but it was that bad. The whole hotel is like stepping back into the 1970's and while it says non-smoking, it reeks of cigarette smoke, must and mold. We were too afraid to even touch anything but the light switch. Do not stay here, even if it is for just a few hours of sleep like we had planned on. The AmericInn is right by it and 1,000 times nicer, stay there.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Liked the fact that with two teens, I could get two rooms for the price of one at a higher end hotel. This was fine, 'cause we were out late and just needed to crash. Room was very clean. I was pleasantly surprised how quiet the hotel was! Staff was nice. I liked how they welcomed dogs, and even had a walking trail out back for doo-doo business. Only complaint - there was a fairly strong hint of cigarette smoke odor in the hallways. Not in our non-smoking room, though.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Doneyroney
Reviewed June 30, 2009

This was the second Super 8 that we stayed at on our cross country trip. very friendly staff and very clean motel. They had ample parking. i would recommend this motel

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank MICHTRAVELER25
Reviewed June 27, 2009

We were traveling across the state to a wedding in ND and needed to stop for the night. We had stayed at this hotel before about 5 years prior so we thought we would try it again. (We had liked it before.)

I had previously made reservations and prepaid for my room on the internet. I left a note that said we would be arriving after 8pm. We got a later start that anticipated and arrived at 11pm. We got the very last room. We have had trouble in the past with hotels in MN double booking. It seems like they fill up very quickly on the weekend. Book early. Confirm often! We had a king room with a recliner/fridge/micro/coffee pot. The bed was a little springy. Even though Super 8 is updating their look with new signs the decore is still dated (mauve and flowers have been out for a while). The bathroom was nice. The showerhead and curved shower curtain was a plus.

The desk staff were helpful and friendly. Overall, compared to the prices of other hotels, Super 8 is still a good value for a quick night stay. A little worn ...but clean and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple