“Average......run of the mill” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Phoenix, Arizona
“Average......run of the mill”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We only stayed one night in a whirlpool suite. The stay we okay, nothing to write home about. The room seemed clean but the sheets seemed a bit old and worn and the mattress wasn't comfortable, I woke up with a sore back. I also heard a lot of high pitched whistling coming from the pipes or somewhere, it was pretty annoying. We were disappointed to not have a balcony
The breakfast was typical although a little better than some places we've stayed. They could add a few tables. While we were eating another couple had their food in their hands but nowhere to sit, we invited them to join us - which they did.
Our stay was okay, we'd probably stay here agin -- just hope they get new linens and mattresses.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from noisy pipes, also try to get a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Made reservations months ahead card got charged immediately, then to reverse charge cost a fee. Upon arrival 2 of our rooms were not downstairs as we had reserved them to be. Beds uncomfortable, breakfast offered was not possible due to being over crowded. Air conditioners did not keep rooms cool. No pool. Non smoking room smelled if smoke bothering my asthma.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank greghutch
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We regret to hear about your disappointment in the room you received and for the other issues that occured during your stay. We attempt to fulfill each of our guest’s requests to the best of our ability. Prior to your next stay, we welcome you to contact us at Corporate Customer Care, so we may discuss your accommodations in detail.

Travelers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Nice location, rooms were big, great breakfast, friendly staff, huge pool and hot tub. (Water could have been a bit warmer) Morning manager was very friendly....knocked off money from our room when informed of a problem. Great one night stay. Currently being updated.

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past, and would have rated it as a 4-star.
This time I would consider it a 3-star. The room was in a major need up an upgrade.
Older bedding and décor compared to other Country Inn;s. One of the bed sheets had
blood on it. The room either smelled like smoke or vary musty. The air conditioning in the
room was extremely loud and hard to sleep at night. The breakfast area was nice and
had lots of options for eating..

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had no problems. Staff was friendly. Room was clean and well stocked. Breakfast area was large and the usual food although one day we even had omelets. Pool water was chilly but the grandson didn't mind. Certainly would stay again.

NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with the pops while on a business trip. He took care of the lodging for our trip and when I found out it was to be here I popped on to tripadvisor and was dreading the stay! People made it sound terrible and worn down? Quite frankly I've never stayed anywhere that is categorized as an "inn" as opposed to a hotel. I'm very particular about lodging wherever I go and honestly thought I would be aghast. However, it was really quite fine.
The outside certainly does look much better than the inside. The "lobby" area is quaint. My father, who has been here before, noted that there were improvements from the last time, such as new flooring in the lobby area.
We checked in around 9pm or so and there was just 1 staff that we saw and she seemed to be having a hard time with a customer on the phone. I could tell she was trying to be patient, and she was friendly enough with us.
Our room was on the second floor and towards the back and therefore quiet. There was a convenient entrance from the back parking lot (using key card).
Yes the room was no Ritz Carlton, but my review and rating is based on the price and value for such price.
Unlike other reviewers our room was clean. I noticed some stains on the curtain, but strangely enough I wasn't bothered (maybe I expected worse from reading reviews). Really hated the decor (flowers on bedding and plaid and such), but that's subjective.
I was surprised to see a flat screen tv, and of fairly decent size). To me that bumps it up 1/2 star. It instantly modernizes a room in my opinion.
Lots of outlets which makes the room practical. Table and 2 chairs. 1 armchair.
The bathroom was clean and lots
of counter space. Plenty of towels and the water pressure made me happy. :) that bumps it up another 1/2 star because I've been to 5* hotels with lousy water pressure which can ruin one's long awaited shower after a long trip.
The pillows are tiny for some reason. They look like they belong on a child's bed. And crazy soft. If you like firm pillows, I've no clue if front office will provide.
Breakfast was solid and the lady who was in charge of it, although a bit grim faced and perhaps could smile and say good morning(?) was super attentive, and was checking that everything was clean and stocked up. I saw her come and go looking around and taking care of the area multiple times in the 15 minutes I was in there. Coffee, oatmeal, fruit, pastries, yogurt, waffles(u make your own), cereal etc etc were available.
Overall I was satisfied and I hope people give the place a chance!

• Stayed July 2013
tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites in other locations and have always fount them to be at least 4 star. This establishment was DIRTY! We drove in late and had a king one bedroom suite and it was filthy. The sofa was tattered and had what I HOPE was food stains all over it. The bathroom was not clean. We would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. I told the young man at the desk about the state of the room and he nonchalantly said" we will be having new furniture soon"---No comment on housekeeping problems.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Judy,

Sorry about your experience at this hotel. The hotel is currently under new ownership and management. We are currently renovating and will be receiving new furniture at the end of the summer just as the front desk staff mentioned. With the new load of furniture will be new blankets, pillows and in room accessories. Unfortunately, renovation is a slow process but it is nearing its completion.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
Holiday Inn Alexandria
#10 of 12 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Sauk Centre

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria? Share your experiences!