“Pleasant stay”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We had no problems. Staff was friendly. Room was clean and well stocked. Breakfast area was large and the usual food although one day we even had omelets. Pool water was chilly but the grandson didn't mind. Certainly would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with the pops while on a business trip. He took care of the lodging for our trip and when I found out it was to be here I popped on to tripadvisor and was dreading the stay! People made it sound terrible and worn down? Quite frankly I've never stayed anywhere that is categorized as an "inn" as opposed to a hotel. I'm very particular about lodging wherever I go and honestly thought I would be aghast. However, it was really quite fine.
The outside certainly does look much better than the inside. The "lobby" area is quaint. My father, who has been here before, noted that there were improvements from the last time, such as new flooring in the lobby area.
We checked in around 9pm or so and there was just 1 staff that we saw and she seemed to be having a hard time with a customer on the phone. I could tell she was trying to be patient, and she was friendly enough with us.
Our room was on the second floor and towards the back and therefore quiet. There was a convenient entrance from the back parking lot (using key card).
Yes the room was no Ritz Carlton, but my review and rating is based on the price and value for such price.
Unlike other reviewers our room was clean. I noticed some stains on the curtain, but strangely enough I wasn't bothered (maybe I expected worse from reading reviews). Really hated the decor (flowers on bedding and plaid and such), but that's subjective.
I was surprised to see a flat screen tv, and of fairly decent size). To me that bumps it up 1/2 star. It instantly modernizes a room in my opinion.
Lots of outlets which makes the room practical. Table and 2 chairs. 1 armchair.
The bathroom was clean and lots
of counter space. Plenty of towels and the water pressure made me happy. :) that bumps it up another 1/2 star because I've been to 5* hotels with lousy water pressure which can ruin one's long awaited shower after a long trip.
The pillows are tiny for some reason. They look like they belong on a child's bed. And crazy soft. If you like firm pillows, I've no clue if front office will provide.
Breakfast was solid and the lady who was in charge of it, although a bit grim faced and perhaps could smile and say good morning(?) was super attentive, and was checking that everything was clean and stocked up. I saw her come and go looking around and taking care of the area multiple times in the 15 minutes I was in there. Coffee, oatmeal, fruit, pastries, yogurt, waffles(u make your own), cereal etc etc were available.
Overall I was satisfied and I hope people give the place a chance!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have stayed at Country Inn and Suites in other locations and have always fount them to be at least 4 star. This establishment was DIRTY! We drove in late and had a king one bedroom suite and it was filthy. The sofa was tattered and had what I HOPE was food stains all over it. The bathroom was not clean. We would NEVER recommend this hotel to anyone. I told the young man at the desk about the state of the room and he nonchalantly said" we will be having new furniture soon"---No comment on housekeeping problems.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
countryale, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Judy,

Sorry about your experience at this hotel. The hotel is currently under new ownership and management. We are currently renovating and will be receiving new furniture at the end of the summer just as the front desk staff mentioned. With the new load of furniture will be new blankets, pillows and in room accessories. Unfortunately, renovation is a slow process but it is nearing its completion.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Good: The people. The service is outstanding.

The Bad: Not alot. Bed were just Ok. Everything else was great.

Not alot to say. Great place to stay, great staff, bed are good but not great. I'm planning on staying there again the next time I go to Alex.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BiggestJohn
Reviewed May 20, 2013

The good- breakfast. Saturdaymorning- Scrambled eggs, sausages, waffles, bagels, toast, yogurts, cereals, muffins, coffees, juices. Looked like a hotel room had been added to dining area for extra seating so not crowded. Monday morning instead of scrambled eggs, there was biscuits and sausage gravy (not refilled the 40 minutes I was there reading).
Price- we do the loyalty program and got a suite for a combination of around $50 and 5,000 points.
Room size- living room with sofa, chair, desk, two wooden chairs, TV in armoire. Bar sink, mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker area with counter space, mirror and outlets so I could style hair while hubby in bathroom. Bathroom adequate size with the curved shower rod so shower feels roomier. Old style shower head with Awesome water pressure. Door closing off separate bedroom with king bed so someone could sleep in while another is in living room with Tv on.
Front desk- we stayed both Friday, May 17 and Sunday, May 19th and both nights we were asked if we had a reservation (we did) and as soon as we gave our name, the woman grabbed our paperwork and keys which were waiting. Polite, efficient, no complaints.
Areas where they could improve- bedding. Personally I hate the polyester bedspreads, much prefer duvets and covers that are changed with each visit. I don't mind feather pillows, but four small pillows on a large king bed, not enough, could use a few more or mx of firm and soft.
Furniture in living room. Plaid sofa and chair are quite worn, wingback chair pretty much unbearable to sit in. Bathroom floor was not immaculately clean, although the ret of the bath and room appeared clean.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Booked a one night stay as a stopover on the way to Minneapolis and wish I had driven the extra 140 miles!
The front desk staff were pleasant on check in but that was as good as it got.
The bathroom floor had not been cleaned as it was stained and the bins had rubbish from the previous occupant still in them, The sofa was frayed and falling apart.
The noise from the truck stop next door went on all thru the night with monster trucks coming and going (not the hotels fault, but worth mentioning)
The only other plus point was the bed was reasonably comfortable, but certainly would not recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you want a good room try a different hotel !!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bugs100
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Well I will start out with the good.
The Breakfast was stocked and fresh, and counters were clean. The woman working the breakfast had it under control and cared about doing a good job.
The pool was good, clean area.
Now for the bad.
Towels in the pool were really frayed, worn out.
Carpet in the lobby had not been vacuumed in a long time.
In our room, the shower curtain had large rips in it.
The sofa bed couch had many crumbs under the cushions, and bedding was such a mess that we could not tell if it had fresh linen.
The sofa bed frame was bent or just so broken at the top that our heads were sinking into this thing.
The fabric on the sofa bed was torn, and stained.
Large groups of loud people in and out of the hallways all night, received prak phone calls from other other hotel guests at 3:30am! from the content of what they said, I'm certain they had been drinking.
We were not able to sleep at all!
One Employee after another smoking cigarettes at the front door, the smell was awful.
Many strange, threatening, had written notes from "The Owners" throughout the hotel.
At check out I told the woman at the desk about all of these things, and she said to me "Sorry, will you be paying with the credit card you have on file?" After she checked me out, she went out by the front door to smoke.
The "Owners" should fix there broken Motel.

Room Tip: Don't ever stay there......EVER!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bryce77
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Bryce77,

We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel and lack of professionalism displayed by the desk agent during your stay.. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact Corporate Customer Care.

~Deanna

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Alexandria
Best Western Alexandria Inn
Best Western Alexandria Inn
#2 of 12 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Parkers Prairie

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Alexandria? Share your experiences!