“Quaint”

Depot Express
Ranked #44 of 73 Restaurants in Alexandria
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I had seen The Depot Express on a previous trip and was not in town long enough to eat, so when the opportunity presented itself, I decided that was the place. It was once an actual Train Depot. We were there for lunch. The food choices were varied and the price was acceptable. The fish was really good and the sandwich choices just right. The service was very good and the staff friendly.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The depot was okay, Alcoholic beverages with our meal were very watered down. I had a margarita and it was very blaw, we asked for a bottle of a local wine from Carlos creek winery and didn't have that available.. Waitress was ok, wished they were more trendy with depot theme. Meal was good. Some had shrimp special and more than enough food. Prices were average to a bit high.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

The Depot has a variety of foods, with specials every night. Their popovers, warm out of the oven with honey butter are exquisite! And the Chicken Wild Rice lettuce salad is delicious! In the summer you can sit on the covered patio and look out over the lake.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Absolutely fantastic location... wasted on an absolutely unremarkable place.

Overall Alexandria itself leaves a lot to be desired if you're a foody. Even for Alexandria, however, this place ranks pretty low.

When we first walked in we should have walked out after waiting 5 minutes in the entry before we even saw an employee. At least the person we did see was welcoming and seated us immediately. That's about the beginning and the end of what I would call service at The Depot.

The waitress was just about as inattentive as I've ever experienced. I've had better service on islands... you know? Where they work on "island time". It was so bad that when we finally received our bill at the end we waited for 15 minutes to pay with credit card and the waitress never came back. We ended up just leaving cash on the table with a 10% tip, which in hindsight I honestly regret. The food was subpar, but the service was absolutely garbage. Try harder or sell the location to someone who will.

1  Thank SlickSnail
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I stopped here for lunch on a weekday and found it very nice. The waitress was pleasant and didn't make me wait. I had the BLT and a bowl of the cheese chowder or some such soup. I thought both were very tasty. The portion was more than sufficient. The place seemed clean and the clientele were mostly just older people. I would go back again.