“updated, but still old”

Holiday Inn Alexandria
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 16, 2013

unfortunately, all the new carpet and furniture couldn't mask the smell of a really old motel. they certainly tried to make the place nicer, but it just didn't work. there's a new style holiday inn sign, but don't be deceived. and because they have an attached restaurant, there's no breakfast included. we paid a little less the night before for a wonderful, brand new construction, motel - with breakfast included.

just can't recommend this place.

Room Tip: don't stay here...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear johnelrog,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests. We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The hotel has a lovely pool,pool table etc.It is ,however,rather tattered with a musty smell.We were there only one night so it was enough of a getaway and not too long in the odd (old)smelling hotel.This is a Holiday In that we had frequented often in the past.Fun memories for us there.
The restaurant and service was great as was the clerk at the front desk.

Room Tip: Poolside is fun!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Love Jen the manager. She is just so sweet and made sure our stay was perfect. Even with a poolside room it was quiet and we got a great nights sleep. There were many families there and the kids all there were able to do many activites like volleyball and swimming all in the same area. The food was in restautant was very good and the bartender was more than willing to accomodate us to watch the Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Series.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 19, 2013

The place isn't far above a Super 8 in appearance, though the price is certainly higher.
We stayed there for a weekend family wedding and it was fine. Nice to have a restaurant next door, since they don't offer breakfast at the hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful at the front desk. There were storms both nights and we seemed to be hearing lots of extra noise beyond the rain, hail, and thunder- like the windows didn't fit tightly enough or something.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Jenniffer R, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to right this review. I was happy to read that you enjoyed our friendly staff and on-sight restaurant, Rudy's Redeye Grill serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Being a full service hotel as opposed to a limited service always offers more amenities and it sounds like you enjoyed that. If you should return to our area, please let us know if you have any issues or if there is anything we can do to make your stay a great one!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Not long ago, my wife and I stayed at this motel while traveling. While it was not terrible, it was not terrible, it was no better than an average motel. I thought the price was a bit out of line. A couple of nights before we had stayed at a Crown Plaza in the Minneapolis area and that room was nicer, a little more spacious, and cost us $30 less than mediocre room in the uninteresting little city of Alexandria. I had a drink at the bar but the bartender didn't really know how to make an old fashioned -- it was close but not right. I was disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear SiteGuy,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor service from our bartender. We will look into this. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 4, 2013

As I said in my previous review “Good Pool and On Site Bar” my husband and I continue to stay at this hotel because the price is right, the staff is friendly, it’s convenient for my extended family and we enjoy the on site bar. Since the last time we stayed they have updated the carpet in the atrium but the food at Rudy’s Redeye Grill remains subpar. What has changed for the better is their pet policy. The hotel now offers a limited number of rooms for people traveling with their furry family members, and unlike most other hotels they do not charge a pet fee or require an additional deposit. Before making my reservation on-line (in order to get the best price) I called the hotel directly to verify that there was a dog friendly room available for our dates. Once the on-line reservation was made I had to call back again to make sure we were placed in one of the pet friendly rooms. It’s a bit of a hassle but well worth it. Of course, as anyone who has traveled with a pet knows, there is always a catch and here it is the room type and location. Currently the hotel only offers pet friendly rooms with 2 queen beds, no single kings. As a traveling couple my husband & I would have much preferred a room with a single king. Also, the pet friendly rooms are located in the far back corner of the hotel, far from the pool and bar. Finally, pets are not allowed in the recreation/pool area. This means that when you are spending time with family out at the pool, poor Fido is stuck in the room. Although there are drawbacks to the pet friendly rooms, all in all, I would much rather have my furry friend with me in a room with an unnecessary extra bed, in the far corner of the hotel, then have a single king right next to the pool with out him. I am very glad to see that the Holiday Inn in Alexandria is becoming more dog friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tinamariech
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

I am so glad you appreciate our pet policy. We love having the "furry friends" stay with us. Thank you for writing this review. In regards to the food quality in Rudy's Redeye Grill, we have just hired a new manager for the restaurant and many changes are on the horizon. So I do hope you return to find it to be improved.
We very much appreciate you taking the time to submit this review.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I travel a great deal, and run into all kinds of people and places
The Hoilday Inn in Alexandria is an older facility, but it's well maintained and has an outstanding staff to assist you.
I drove in late at night during a snowstorm, and was greeted warmly and quickly taken care of. The room was clean and the bed comfortable. If I had a complaint, it would be that the bathroom was very small.
The pool area needed straightening with towels and trash around. The sauna was a welcome space, but was old and not very clean looking.
Rudy's restaurant was a distinct pleasure with good food and libations.
All in all, it was a pleasant stay at a reasonable price.
BTW - it is located directly off the interstate, and there are plenty of fine and fast food restaurants surrounding as well as a Walmart and Office Max, for the business traveler, right across the interstate...

• Stayed: February 2013
jrugani, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. I am very please to hear you enjoyed your stay and our staff made you feel like the valued guest you are. We are always in the process of updating. So I hope you will see improvement in some of those areas noted upon a return visit. Thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Alexandria
Hampton Inn and Suites Alexandria
Days Inn Alexandria MN
Days Inn Alexandria MN
#10 of 13 in Alexandria
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Glenwood

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria? Share your experiences!