“Has Some Charm but Disappoints”
Review of Bella's - CLOSED

Bella's
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Phoenix, Arizona
“Has Some Charm but Disappoints”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Restaurant has a nice layout with cozy/private booths that make conversation easy. Typical décor abounds -- most notably the hundreds of empty wine bottles stacked in open shelves that serve as room dividers. A bit overdone, however, in my opinion. The service is wonderful but the roving diva belting out the usual "Italian" song selections is over the top silly. But she and some of the clientele seemed to enjoy this. And that might take your attention away from the mediocre food.

While the salads are fresh and pretty good, the main attractions are not so much. How can a restaurant that specializes in pasta serve overcooked noodles??!! My capellini was basically mush. Others in my party noted the same over-doneness of their pastas which were also literally swimming in various sauces. Crab cakes were a frozen product consisting mostly of gooey bread filling. I realize this is a Midwestern eatery and if you can't offer a seafood dish that is made fresh, it should not be on the menu. Makes me wonder what else may have come from frozen beginnings.

This is not an inexpensive place to dine. I have been there twice for dinner. I expected much better quality for the money. I will probably not return for a third visit unless I stick to ordering salads. Although it has some charm, Bella's disappoints when it comes to the real reason for being there.

• Visited January 2014

Springfield, MO
“Wonderful Evening. Great food. Special service!!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We were happy to find such quaint dining in Alexandria, and were extremely pleased with our experience. We came here for my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary. Intimate seating. The food was delicious, the atmosphere cozy and the part that really made our night was the service! We had "Frankie," their Italian server, and she made the evening more memorable than we'd even anticipated - adding charm by serenading my parents in Italian. It was fantastic! If ever in the area, we will definitely be back!

• Visited August 2013
Minneapolis
“Food was not great”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The place is cute but too expensive for the quality of food. The flavor combinations were disappointing. There is no prices for pasta dishes without meat. For example, I considered the mushroom ravioli but there is only a chicken or shrimp price. Vegetarians don't want to pay full price when they don't get the most expensive ingredient. My companion liked the Diavolo with shrimp.

Visited October 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
“Just fair”
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Decided to try based on reviews. I will have to say very average. The sausage tasted like it was old and had been frozen. Flavor was not good. The lasagna was not to my liking nothing special. Overpriced for very average Italian food. I did not think it was very authentic tasting. If you have had really good Italian food before you will be disappointed here.

• Visited October 2013
Spearfish, South Dakota
“Italian restaurant”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The food was wonderful, the atmosphere was great, and the service was outstanding! A pleasant bonus - local crafters offered some items for sale and all of the profits went directly to them.

Visited September 2013