“Anniversary”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Very good and big portions for Italian. Located in historic downtown. the restaurant is charming. We sat in the outdoor patio in the back.

1  Thank Gary W

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We have eaten both lunch and dinner at Bella's; I think it is the nicest restaurant in the Alexandria area and really hope it can stay in business. Resort towns aren't usually known for fine dining, but Bella's is trying very hard to fill that niche and doing a pretty good job. Many reviewers have mentioned the service, and it can be slow, especially that initial service -- drink orders, appetizers, etc. We waited a while to place our drink orders and for the server to bring our glasses of wine, but it was a generous pour and a nice pinor noir and chianti. I ordered the only veal item on the menu and server said she just had one left, then came back about 10 minutes later and said it was gone. (This was 7:30 on a Saturday night). Ordered a chicken marsala instead which was just OK. My spouse had a shrimp and sausage pasta that he thought was very good. Portions were generous. The server did not suggest appetizers, salads or any other extras and waited too long to offer a second glass of wine. These all can and should be offered, both for the satisfaction of the guest and the bottom line of the restaurant! I would not hesitate to recommend Bella's to our friends and guests. The atmosphere is very nice, quiet, and a far cry from the chain restaurants that tend to plague smaller towns. Leather booths, nice glassware and china, well-presented dishes. I hope Bella's will keep working on their service, add some other dishes and specials to the menu (WAY too much chicken) and expand the wine list a little bit. There is a small eating area outside which is nice for lunch. Our dinner with no appetizers, two entrees, three glasses of wine was about $60 before tip.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We had a good meal when we ate at Bella's (recommended by our hosts). The food was slow in coming, but the waiter was attentive, so the pace just seemed relaxed.

1  Thank DisplacedColoradan
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have been here twice, once with my wife and once with my daughter, for lunch over the past month or so. Both times we were pleased with the quality and taste of the food. Others have suggested that service is slow. My perspective is that Bella's had done a fine job making sure their patrons can enjoy conversation and companionship without interference. The physical design of the space gives many of the tables a feel of privacy that is rare in most restaurants. The service is paced so that it is easy to linger over the menu, over one's meal and after the meal without feeling rushed. If you are looking for a quick bite to eat, you will likely be frustrated. If you are looking to have a lovely time with someone and not be rushed by someone else's schedule for you, this is a place to have lunch. I am looking forward to an opportunity to eat dinner here some day.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

Bellas on Broadway is a ritzy Italian restaurant but I feel the food is mediocre for Italian. It is very expensive also and the portions are small. They have a small wait staff since they don't seem very busy so service is poor. Limited hours so call ahead to see if they're open.