“Comfortable Beds, Clean Room”

Americas Best Value Inn Albert Lea
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Albert Lea
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

If the front desk clerk hadn't been so unpleasant, this would have been an excellent stay. An initial phone call to check availability was trite and cold. She seemed put off that I requested a renovated room. Upon arriving, she was no less inviting. The newly remodeled rooms come in two dbl beds only, but this was alright for us. The renovations are half hearted (new paint, new vanity, new carpet and bedding) but still very comfortable. Unfilled holes in in the bathroom from the old vanity could be filled to make this much more impressive. The bed was superb. Very comfortable if u prefer a softer cushion. The remote didn't work, but the maintenance fella showed up with a new one promptly with a call to the front desk. Stay for the restaurant alone!! Great food and great staff. Nightly specials. We will stay again given the cleanliness and connected dining.

• Stayed: March 2013
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn Albert Lea

Reviewed November 23, 2012

If you do not want to spend a lot of money, and you want a clean, comfortable room, America's Best Value Inn is the place to go in Albert Lea. I visit Albert Lea frequently, and I have stayed in most hotels in the city, but America's Best Value Inn is my #1 choice. Wi Fi is free. Food in the restaurant is tasty. If you have any special requests about your room, be sure to ask - the staff is very friendly and really tries to keep the guests happy in any reasonable way. One thing I wish they would change, however, is the high fee to have a dog in the room, but at least they do allow pets. I will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this motel on November 11, 2012, the room was very nice with a king size bed, refrigerator, microwave, one cup coffee maker, etc. The bed was very comfortable as was mostly everything else in the room.

These things were not okay in Room 118:
1) The internet service was very slow.
2) The wash cloths were very thin, I call them wimpy.
3) With the thermostat set at maximum (86 degrees), the room did not get any warmer than 69 degrees throughout the night. When I woke up cold in the middle of the night, I was not about to change rooms or expect the heating unit to be fixed without keeping me up for too long.
4) The lamp next to the bed did not work, so it was dark in that corner.
5) In the bathroom there was a timer to turn on the heat lamp while showering. There was no heat lamp, it was replaced with a ordinary spot light that did not put out any heat in a cold room.

As I said before, this was a nice place, but management needs to pay more attention to the details of room maintenance. The bed had one blanket and a nice heavy bed covering, which I used to stay warm while sleeping. Another plus is, when I checked in, they gave me a coupon for $5 off breakfast at their restaurant, which I used the next morning, the food was good.

I would stay there again, but I would check out the room before settling in.

Room Tip: Check out the room and make sure the important things work when you arrive. This is true of any plac...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Hotel was very functional..Room was ok and quiet. Big Island Restaurant was nice and very reasonably priced. Dorthy the Hostess was wonderful and Laura at the front desk was very professional and competent. Overall staff was friendly and helpful. Easy on-off access to I-35. Many family restaurants located nearby. A decent spot to spend the night.

Room Tip: An inside room would be quietest.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Dale T
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I wasn't quite sure what to expect for less than $70 at a motel chain that I'd never stayed at before, but I was pleasantly surprised by my night at the Americas Best Value Inn. We only stayed here between 11 PM and 8 AM the next morning (just needed a place to crash for the night on a long drive) but it served our needs very adequately and saved us some cash compared with others in the area.

Our room was spacious and clean, with a king bed, work desk area, and a cute little table and chairs that would have been nice for breakfast or something. The bed itself was very comfortable, though perhaps a bit lacking in pillows - only three for the two of us. The bathroom was either old or retro, with cool funky green tile in the shower, but everything seemed to work just fine and it looked very clean as well. All in all, we were able to sleep well here and get back on the road rested and rejuvenated.

The property looked really nice for a budget hotel, though we didn't have the time to check much of it out. Our room was near the pool area, so we looked at it - seemed clean and nice but we didn't try it. Also there is an inner courtyard with plants and benches. That would make a decent place to relax or do work if you were on a business trip perhaps.

The only (minor) downside was that the walls seemed a bit thin, noise-wise. As I was drifting off to sleep, I heard voices fairly clearly from our next-door neighbors' room. They weren't rowdy or anything so it didn't affect my sleep, but I can imagine that if they were it could have been an annoyance. From our experience, it wasn't an issue.

This motel was a great value for the money, and perfectly suited our need for a comfy bed for one night of a long drive. If you need a place to stay in Albert Lea, I wouldn't bother spending more at one of the other chains in town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cyclone05
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I do not expect America's Best Value motels to be much. Not so this trip. My room was on the ground floor, non-smoking, with a refrigerator and microwave as requested. The carpet, bedding, and furniture all appeared nearly new. The bathroom had recently been redone. The hallways were clean and re-carpeted recently. There is a restaurant/bar attached to the motel, although I did not use it. The motel has a nice little interior courtyard type area and a nice looking pool area. Several restaurants and fast food places are near-by as well as gas stations. The motel is located on Main street and easily accessible to I-35 and I-90. Traveling singly, I felt very safe, although the chain latch was broken on my door. This motel was well worth the extra $10 compared to the other "budget" motels my friends stayed in. I'm guessing this is an old Holiday Inn, it certainly is a big step up from other America's Best Values I have seen.

Of note: Motel is pet friendly, plenty of grass to exercise dog.

Very minor concern: desk is not regularly attended. Had to stand around waiting to get my room key replaced, however attendant was very friendly and provided help promptly when he came.

Room Tip: Ask for new part of motel. A room toward the back is also recommended as the motel is right on main...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My fiancee and I spent two nights at your Albert Lea, Minnesota location and it was absolutely enjoyable! Staff were very friendly, professional, informative and patient. Our room was very clean, comfortable and well maintained. The pool was very clean (both around the pool and the water), plenty of towels and the water temp was perfect. The courtyard was immaculate and well Having the Big Island Bar and Grill restaurant adjacent to the hotel is a major plus. I am so satisfied with the ABVI in Albert Lea, Minnesota I just had to tell you. Please inform the staff at this location from 3 pm Saturday June 30th until Monday July 2nd 2012 that we were impressed and appreciative of their efforts. This location is awesome! Anyone who complains or whines about this hotel is never satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for one of their newer rooms. Rooms on the north side were very quiet, and close to the ice maki...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Austin
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#4 of 7 in Austin

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Albert Lea? Share your experiences!