“Nice place to stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Albert Lea
oklahoma
“Nice place to stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

Our GPS had trouble finding this location. I don't know why since it's very easy to get to right off of I-35. The hotel was clean and a good, quiet place to spend the night. We had traveled alot of miles that day and was pretty road weary. We were a little concerned that all the truck stops around the hotel would make it unpleasant but we never heard a truck after we got in our room. The breakfast was very basic, like most of the hotels that offer free breakfast. I will compliment the staff on the fact that there was an attendant keeping the breakfast area clean at all times.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank acdcOklahoma
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
We are so sorry that the GPS system could not find our hotel for you. We are noticing that even after being open for a year there are still many systems and websites that are unable to find us. We will continue to work with them so others do not run into the same problems. Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback, we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Alexandria, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a great stay the bed was so comfortable, the room was very clean and the motel must be new, since you can still smell the new smell in the stairs. Our GPS had problems finding the motel to, so the best thing to do is set it for the Loves travel stop, since the motel is just next door. We were happy it was far enough from the freeway that you hear no traffic noise and that is a big plus for me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mkm49
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express. We have now been open for about one year and really hope to keep the property looking and feeling new for many years to come. Thank you for taking the time from your day to give your feedback.
Libertyville, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The Holiday Inn Express (Albert Lea I-35) is a nice place to stay if you want to avoid a more grueling Chicago or Milwaukee to Rapid City trip in one day. Albert Lea is a good start that allows one to get to Rapid City on day 2, with reasonable stops in Mitchell South Dakota for the World's only Corn Palace and the Badlands loop/Wall drug, without feeling overly burnt out from driving.

This hotel offers a reasonable breakfast (included) and a small but nice pool and exercise room. Our room was clean and the staff particularly friendly - especially the woman who hustled to keep the breakfast items fresh.

While not right off of I 90, the hotel is a very short distance from the I 35 exit towards Des Moines. I would not hesitate to make this hotel your go to place on your way to the wild west.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mws58
General_Manager4712, Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for recommending our hotel to others. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay and that the staff was able to accommodate. If in our area again we hope that you will stay again.
chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

The HIE was fresh and new, it is so new our gps had trouble finding it. Everything was up to HIE standards. The breakfast room staff was exceptional in keeping the hot foods fresh. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Best of all, the bed was comfortable. The HIE is a great choice for a tired traveler.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cltutell
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites. The team in breakfast has been working really hard to ensure that the breakfast bar is continuously stocked and that food stays hot. We are hoping that soon we will be loaded in all GPS systems, this does seem to be one of the biggest downfalls to finding us. We hope that if in our area again you will be our guest, safe travels.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

So, while this hotel is newish, the lack of care and rude staff overtake any positive attributes. When we got up to our room, the first thing we noticed was the unvacuumed carpet complete with Miller 64 beer bottle cap. There were crumbs between the beds. Made me wonder what else had been neglected. Although we reserved a double queen bed room for our family of 4, there were only towels for 3. Went down to front desk to retrieve towels and requested 4 sets for our next night along with a carpet vacuuming. The receptionist assured me she had it notated, so fine. Of course, we came back to our room to find no vacuuming and only 3 sets of towels. I went back down to the desk, and the same girl who told me she had it handled avoided eye contact while her co-worker fetched the towels and a bar of soap since the maid threw out both bars and only left one. When i remarked that it was strange that the larger suites only get 3 sets of towels, the receptionist gave me an attitude. Really? Wouldn't it be easier to put extra towels in the room like every other hotel i go to instead of having a guest schlep to the front desk to receive necessities? The hallways were also unvacuumed. To top things off, there was a strong sulfur odor emanating from the faucets. I used bottled water to brush my teeth , because, i don't know, stinky water turns my stomach. Who runs this place? I don't care if the place opened yesterday! I won't be back!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
I am so sorry for all the inconveniences you encountered during your stay, this is completely unacceptable. Please know all your comments and feedback will be taken to heart and improved on. In regards to the unfriendliness of the front desk staff I have spoken with each team member, they will all be going through a retraining, although not typical behavior of our team I do not want another guest to encounter the same. Your remarks about having additional towels in the suites is very valid and something that we will most definitely be looking into, I think that you are correct, especially on weekends to have additional towels in the room. I understand that you do not plan on staying again but I hope you would reconsider. I would love the opportunity along with our team to give you the experience you should have had the first time.
Arlington Heights, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We stopped here on our way home from a long road trip, and we were pleased they had a room for us. The room was clean and comfortable, and the breakfast was pretty good. BUT: there was only one lamp in the whole room, between the beds. There was no lamp on the desk, nor any overhead lights. Also, the water in the bathroom had a strong sulfa odor, which the Front Desk said they were trying to fix. There were no restaurants around, but we ordered pizza from a local place (Jake's), and it was actually very good. My other complaint was that the only ice/vending area in the entire 3-story hotel was on the ground floor.
Despite the little complaints we had, it was a fine place for just an overnight stopover.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your feedback regarding your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites. We have been working on putting in a filtration system to get rid of the sulfur smell in the water. We know that although it is not harmful it is overwhelming at times and definitely unpleasant. We hope that you will consider staying with us again in the future.
Leon, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Although they were motorcycle friendly and the gal running the kitchen was a real sweetheart at breakfast time, we were not impressed w/ this hotel at all. The elevator is very small; pop machines didn't work, remote control to the tv didn't work (was offered batteries to fix it but that didn't fix it), no place to hang towels so you have to lay them on the toilet tank and the water had a terrible smell to it. There's two very large truck stops near by but unless you want to eat truck stop fast food, there are no restaurants w/in walking distance. I find it discouraging that they get away w/ the rates that we were charged.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
General_Manager4712, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I am so sorry that you ran into several issues while staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites. I will be looking into each one of the issues you had brought up; you should be able to get a drink from the vending and use the tv without difficulty. I know that we are not in the heart of Albert Lea where restaurants are close by but there are many delivery options for your convenience. I want to thank you for all your feedback, we take all comments as a learning experience and try to improve.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albert Lea
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Albert Lea
Americas Best Value Inn Albert Lea
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Austin
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Northwood

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Albert Lea - I-35? Share your experiences!