“Nice campground, but overpriced for what you get”

Myre-Big Island State Park
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Albert Lea
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stopped here for one night in our fifth wheel when driving home from Mt. Rushmore. The spots are big, with plenty of distance from your neighbors. The campground looked clean and well tended. Unfortunately it stormed all night the night we were there, so we were not able to enjoy the park or walk around. Mosquitoes were horrible when we did go out at all. It is easy to get to off of I-35, so that was a plus. My biggest complaint is the cost. It was $26 dollars for the site, which was electric only. That was not bad, but they charged $7 fee to book online, then charged a five dollar fee for a parking pass (did not know about the parking fee until we arrived). So a total of $38 for an electric only spot? If you are just passing through the area for one night you might as well pay a little extra elsewhere for full hook-ups.

4  Thank Kimberly U
There are newer reviews for Myre-Big Island State Park

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We camped in the Big Island campground at this park. We loved all the trees! And since we experienced thunder storms with high winds during our stay, we appreciated the shelter from the wind that all the trees provided. The campsite was very nice, with a 16x16 tent pad, which fit our tent nicely. There are two things that keep me from giving this park a higher rating. 1) The restrooms in the Big Island campground are very old and need some updating, 2) We are unable to bring in firewood...I understand that. However, the firewood that i purchased at the park was not good! I have camped for 50 years and have built hundreds of bonfires in my years...so I know how to do it. But for the life of me, I could not get their wood to burn. I had plenty of kindling that generated a nice sustained flame and heat that would have started most any wood...and I even cheated by using one of the firestarters they sell at the park office and could not get the wood to ignite enough to start a nice fire. The wood was directly from their storage shed the fist night and was kept dry during the rains for the second night. I should have returned it for another bundle, but was bound and determined to get a fire built.

Firewood-1 Me-0

3  Thank KentBert
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We camped on the big island and it was a beautiful campgrounds. We had a fairly private site with a lot of trees. The hiking trails were very easy and they were nice by the lake. I would rate it 5 stars if they updated the showers. They were fine, but very old and very small. That certainly wouldn't keep me from coming back.

2  Thank pmlilac
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I had gotten a book earlier in the year called "Take a hike Twin Cities" and this park was one of the featured hikes. My hike started in the Big island area of the park around that and along the lake into the main area. The hike was about 8 miles long and I got lost for awhile out there. It's pretty easy to get turned around without a compass of some sort. I saw some deer and a lot of different types of birds. I came on a Friday and I literally encountered no one on the trails. When I came in August the wild flowers had started to really bloom so the fields were quite stunning and beautiful. I got bit by a weird little black spider on the arm here and totally had a red bump on my arm for about the next 4 weeks. It was a nice hike on a warm day and totally worth coming back for hiking. Also as far as I saw the campgrounds looked really nice.

Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on big island side of park. Tree coverage was extensive. We drove around the myre park side. Those camps are more open, prairie like. Overall we had a nice trip here but it was overly simple in what they had to do and we won't go back. Trails were very, very plain. Just hiking in prairies with some overlooks to lakes. Park was well kept. Good for people that like privacy and low key camps.

1  Thank Schw0375