“Always an excellent evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Afton House Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Afton House Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Afton House Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 6 Restaurants in Afton
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Country Rd. 18
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Always an excellent evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Although its pricey, you have that special occasion where it's ok to spend the $$. Afton house always delivers excellent food (from steaks to seafood, etc.). We loved the table side preparations and the table side Caesar salad presentations. Excellent wine list and and very elegant dining room. Service is very professional and it's true fine dining.

Chanhassen, Minnesota
“Really excellent dinner in an out of the way location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

Bought a Groupon for a three course dinner at Afton House Inn. Read the Yelp reviews after buying the Groupon, or I wouldn't have bought it. After eating dinner at the Afton House last night, I'm glad I didn't read the reviews first, and I am very happy that I went.

To be honest, the Groupon was no deal. It was $70 for two three-course meals, and that had to be ordered off a special menu with limited choices. The same dinners could be had from the regular menu for the same price. So, no savings.

Having said that, the meal was excellent. My wife's caprese salad was fresh and as inventive as a caprese salad can be - served on skewers with grape tomatoes and mozerella balls accompanied by really peppery greens (the greens were peppery, not that pepper was added). My caesar was excellent - sadly, no anchovies, but almost no one does those any more. Lettuce was very fresh and crisp, parmesan was freshly grated, and the dressing was excellent. There's almost nothing that makes a caesar great, but it's really easy to screw one up - and this one was really good.

We both ordered the short ribs with mashed potatoes, horseradish, and green beens. The horseradish was the real deal - no crappy creamed horseradish here - and was a small dollop on top of the ribs so my wife could scrape it off and put it aside as she doesn't like it. The ribs were very tender and incredibly flavorful. There were two very large boneless ribs, so we each brought one of ours home. The green beans were perfectly cooked; crisp tender with an amazing sauce. To me, the star of the dinner was the mashed potatoes (I'm always a sucker for the side dishes, anyway). I have always fancied myself a cook, and, in particular, the maker of some of the best mashed potatoes this side of heaven itself. With a tear forming in my eye, I told my wife, "these are as good as mine." The tear streamed when she quickly and wholeheartedly agreed.

The apple dumpling dessert was equally good. By this time, neither of us was a bit hungry, but the dumpling was so flaky and perfectly caramelly (if that's a word), that it was impossible not to eat it all.

Afton House has a credible wine list with some fantastic wines on it. It isn't long, but it does run the gamut of almost every varietal and region of the world. There are some very expensive wines. There are also plenty of very good wines from less expensive producers - for instance, the Bridlewood Pinot Noir from the Santa Ynez Valley in California is a good pinot noir at a very attractive price on their by-the-glass and by-the-bottle menu.

Needless to say, both my wife and I were very happy with our experience last night. We shall certainly return and will occasionally bring friends with us.

• Visited January 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Avoid the Groupon special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife & I invited another couple to join us for dinner, we had 2 Groupon tickets that expire on Jan 30th with 2 salads, 2 entree's and 2 deserts for $70. We had dinner here about 16 months ago and really enjoyed the meal & service that evening. Turns out if using Groupon there is a seperate & limited menu to use with a choice of short ribs,chicken or salmon as the entree. Our party ordered 2 short ribs & 2 chickens, the chicken was good but the short ribs were disappointing. I had them on our previous visit but these seemed like another cut was substituted, it was more like a roast that was dried out. The salad was fine but again the desert some chose was the pumpkin creme brule and disappointing. It was like dried out pumpkin pie filling covered in whipping cream. The service was very slow & inconsistent

We may go back but never with a Groupon discount

• Visited January 2013
Hugo, Minnesota
“Good food and interesting experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

The food was good and we enjoyed the experience. The meal ordering process caused some issues as a misunderstanding of the entrée order resulted in a double charge for one entree after two attempts by us to correct. It was rectified

Visited December 2012
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Very nice evening.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had dinner for our wedding anniversay. We had the Steak Diane, prepared at our table. It was very good. The reastaurant has lovely atmosphere, they had a good wine selection, and the service was excellent. It was a very nice evening. We will go there again.

• Visited August 2012