“Vintage, quaint, relaxing”

Ranked #1 of 2 Afton B&B and Inns
Maple Grove, Minnesota
“Vintage, quaint, relaxing”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Room was very nice, comfy bed and pillows
Wonderful location
Never have to go outside to enjoy yourself because of coffee shop, wine bar, hair salon, massage
Loved four course meal with wine
Didn't like that we had to make our own waffles at breakfast

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Mounds View, Minnesota
Reviewed January 4, 2011

This is my third stay with the Afton Inn. I love the layout and how I don't actually feel like Im in someone's 'home.' The place is always clean, the service always friendly! I love that the "catfish saloon" is attched and if you like fine dining that is available as well.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I was surprised to find outdated appliances and a cheap stall shower in my suite. For the price, I had expected much, much more from this property.
There was thick ice on the sidewalk leading in to the building and I nearly slipped carrying my baggage in; this was after climbing over a large snow drift just to get to the icy sidewalk.
When I turned on the clean hot tub (and I know they clean them because I saw a housekeeper squatting inside one in the other room) the jets spit out approx. 1/4 cup of sand and black mystery chunks that I had to comingle with.
The walls are paper thin. During my stay, there were only two rooms occupied in our wing, which was peacefully quiet, except that the two occupied rooms were on top of each other and I could hear their television until midnight and I'm sure they heard mine at 5am. I had an enjoyable dinner in the fine dining restaurant, served hospitably by Stacey.
In all, a quaint place, which has its niche I'm sure. I would visit again, but I wouldn't choose one of the most expensive suites- I would get one of the cheaper ones and know what I was in for.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 3, 2011

The bed was very uncomfortable. Things were falling a part in the room. Breakfast was lacking. Everything tasted bland and the waffle machine couldn't make a decent waffle. Tried to order room service at 9:45, the book stated that room service was till 10. When we asked to order room service the answer we received was "Sorry, they closed the kitchen because they were dead."

• Stayed December 2010

Travelers are raving about these Afton hotels

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Nice and quiet place for Christmas for two. Enjoyed jacuzzi and fireplace.

Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed December 14, 2010

The pans clanged until 10:30 or 11 p.m. We were able to deal with that but it started up again at 4 a.m. with no letting up. We got up and left at five a.m. When we called to report the issue we were told the manager would call on Monday. We haven't heard from the manager yet. There weren't that many people there so why did we get the room with our own private kitchen noises?

Elk River, Minnesota
Reviewed December 13, 2010

This was an overall poor experience. The room we were given - 33 was apparently above the kitchen. We could hear pots banging until between 10:30 and 11:00. Once that was over we thought we would have a favorable experience. At 4:00 in the morning both my wife and I were awoken by loud banging. At first I thought it was pipes. As it turns out we believe it was the kitchen getting ready for brunch - those noisy pans again. We both showered, packed our bags, went down to the front desk where I used the phone on the counter to call the operator. Someone came out of the kitchen area. We explained the problem, handed him the key and left. Not much relaxation here. Called Sunday and explained what happened to the person who answered the phone. She said there was nothing she could do but would I like a manager to call. Left my cell phone, 4:00 in the afternoon on Monday and no call. I'm VERY disappointed! Rooms, location, cleanliness were great - but if you can't get any sleep!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afton
Water Street Inn
Royal Inn - Hudson
#3 of 8 in Hudson
Comfort Suites Hudson
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing

Been to Afton House Inn? Share your experiences!