“Expired Yogurt and Overpriced Dinner and Cramped Room”
Review of Afton House Inn

Afton House Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Afton B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I was looking for something romantic to do for our anniversary and being that we have stayed in B&Bs before, I looked forward to having a nice dinner on-site and having a romantic get-a-away in a jacuzzi room with a view from our balcony.

The room was cramped, full of flies, and the jacuzzi for two was more like a spa tub for one unless you are less than 100 pounds each. The bedspread was beautiful but the blanket underneath was your run of the mill hotel style with cigarette burns and all. The sheets were at best high quality Target brand. The TV was terrible (not that at any other B&B I would even bother with the TV) and the remote didn't work past On/Off and Channel. I could easily hear the goings on in the room next to us. The "river view" from our balcony was more parking lot than river and with a good pair of binoculars or a squint you might catch a bit better glimpse.

The Wheel Room is COMPLETELY overpriced and the service was absolutely terrible. My poor cut of filet mignon was overdone and not even an apology from the snotty and poorly trained waitress. The scallops and walleye were both very fishy and the stuffed mushrooms, while large, were nearly tasteless. For a $92 dinner for two, I expected more than an Applebee's atmosphere, quality and service.

The breakfast the next morning was on par with an upscale Super8, offering a buffet style of overcooked scrambled eggs, potatoes, and a variety of meats included obvious leftover chicken and BBQ ribs. Instead of seating us in the nice room off the lobby or the Wheel Room, they placed us in the dirty bar area and we ate amongst the dead flies and wasps lining the windowsill. The yogurt was dated August 2nd and we were there on September 2nd! They forgot to give us a comp card and the bill would have been nearly $19 for the two of us!

I would NEVER recommend that anyone who has previous B&B experience stay here. If you're looking for an overpriced and awful experience with bad service and food, this place is definitely for you.

You're better off dropping $500 anywhere else than at the Afton House Inn.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank garciasn

Reviewed January 28, 2007

My husband and I decided we needed a weekend getaway this winter, so when looking the Afton House Inn caught our eye. We decided to go ahead and book a room with the inn. I have to tell you how much we enjoyed our stay. We got the massage package (which was wonderfully indulgent), for that afternoon we arrived. After we had dinner downstairs in the wheel room for the best lobster I've ever had!! We then spoiled ourselves more with the hot tub and fireplace in our room. The entire place was comfortable and inviting. Everyone we encountered was really helpful and friendly. We will definately return and will be suggesting the inn to everyone we know.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank smash10
Reviewed January 13, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Afton House Inn for our anniversary.

The inn is nice. We stayed in the newer addition in the back which is much more private than the rest of the rooms. The rooms that are not in the back are right off the main hallway along with the coffee shop and flower shop. It seemed like if we had stayed in one of these rooms, there may have been a lot of foot traffic right outside the door.

The breakfast was absolutely terrible! There is a nice restaurant on the grounds which we ate dinner at; both the food and our server were superb. The chef does go above and beyond with dinner. I don't believe that the chef has a hand in preparing breakfast at all. We were seated in the bar for breakfast, not the nice restaurant. The lady working at the front desk brought our breakfast out to us on a very filthy cart. Our breakfast consisted of a small pre-portioned cup of yogurt (no spoon), a dish of fruit, a cold cinnamon bun that tasted like it had been in the freezer too long, a small glass of juice and coffee. After dropping off our breakfast, the lady left and we were the only ones in the bar until we were finished eating. She never came back to check on us. The second day we went down to eat our fruit, and then went next door to the coffee shop for lattes and scones.

The Afton House Inn is a nice place to stay, but if you are looking for the bed and breakfast experience, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank katiedeet
A TripAdvisor Member
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed March 8, 2006

I have to admit, I was very worried about staying at the Afton House Inn after reading the previous reviews. But, since my husband and I were going to a wine dinner there, we decided that we'd give it a try anyway. We booked a room in the Annex (the new part of the Inn that was added on in 2003). The room was large with a double jacuzzi, fireplace and modern ammenities. It was a nice room. The room alone probably wouldn't have made the stay as much as the whole experience of the wine dinner, service, AND the room.

I have to give kudos to the new Executive Chef that joined the Afton House in July. He is FANTASTIC! Also, the owner's two sons, Dave and Dan, are really wonderful. They went out of their way to ensure we had a fabulous stay. They are in line to take over the Inn and certainly are poised to keep it going in a positive direction.

All in all, we had a great time. I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 14, 2006

My fiancé and I had a wonderful time at the Afton House Inn. We had a room with a fireplace and a two-person jacuzzi in it. The room had a wonderful canopy bed. The room had its own back balcony, which had a view of the river. The inn was not right on the river, but it was very close. The dinner was incredible. Very well done.

The setting for the inn is really great. Small town, which is good for relaxing. We went on a dinner boat cruise which was well done, although for the time of the year we went on it the weather was a little chilly. The restaurant/bar attached to the inn was good.

We both would love to go back.

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank Limasbravo
Reviewed May 6, 2005

My wife and I stay at many B&B's so we feel we should be able to give a fair review. We decided to stay overnight since we partook of the special Wine tasting Dinner (which was excellent due to their new chef). We were given a "deal" - a room up to $225 for $125. The newer more expensive rooms were all booked (one week ahead) but were given a $169 room for that price. Room 24 was in the old section. It appears they added about 8 feet to the back of the hotel so that they could add the small whirlpool tub. This room has a door which can open to the ajoining room to make a family suite. Usually there are two solid core doors to make this more sound proof. We could hear ALL of the normal conversation in the ajoining room. The TV remote did not work for the volume. Desk clerk said that is the way they are. It's hard to call this a bed and BREAKFAST. I have had more variety at expanded continental breakfasts. The buffet is not my idea of the type of breakfast to go with a B&B. I like to savor the individual attention of the host/hostess, not have to run down the waitress to get coffee. The fireplace did not put out much heat. the tub only had two jets and the air mix was not functional. This place is way overpriced for what they offer.

• Stayed: April 2005
Reviewed March 22, 2005

My girlfriend and I just wanted to get out of the house for a night, so I booked room 31 on their website for the next night. Everything was accepted. The manager called us about an hour later and told us that room 31 wasn't available but room 30 was the same room. Well on these cold March nights in Minnesota a fireplace and jacuzzi sounds great. So we said that would be fine. When we arrived we found that there was no fireplace in room 30, and the room was priced ($169) the same. Afton house probably would be decent in the summer with some of the activities they offer, but they should lower prices in the winter. Catfish Saloon is no deal, but one of our favorite NASCAR bars (SCHMIG'S) is right up the street, and Jimmy's Pizza has good pizza and great wings. Won't be going back

• Stayed: March 2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afton
Holiday Inn Express Hudson-I-94
Fairfield Inn Hudson
#7 of 8 in Hudson
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Stillwater
Comfort Suites Hudson

Been to Afton House Inn? Share your experiences!