“Solid Hotel with Comfortable Rooms”

Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
GreenLeadersGold level
Windsor, Canada
“Solid Hotel with Comfortable Rooms”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I stayed here as the Marriott (Pontiac CenterPoint) was full. Given the corporate rates, this hotel was only about $5 less per night than the Marriott, but it felt like much less of a hotel.

The lobby is rather pedestrian, the elevators are hot and slow, but the staff - front desk, restaurant - were all extremely friendly.

The room was a good size and I certainly felt comfortable within the hotel, despite "fresh paint" smell in the hallways that lacked air conditioning making a hot and muggy day outside untolerable in the hallways. The air in the room also struggled to keep up.

Included in your stay is a complimentary breakfast consisting of cereal, toast, coffee, juice, "eggs", bacon, pastries, yogourt, etc. Overall, the service was great, the food was good, except the eggs which tasted like they were made quite some time ago. However, as a bonus, this is not one of those "free breakfasts" with "tip not included' meaning it is not really free. Instead, this truly is a free breakfast. You simply hand them your slip and you can leave when you want.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I'd rather stay at the Marriott for just a few dollars more per night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

We stayed one night at this hotel and were really impressed by the cleanliness of the room and rest of the hotel. The breakfast consisted of hot as well as cold choices and the service provided by the restaurant staff was excellent. I am pleased to recommend this hotel for family stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

They jacked me for $250, claiming that our non-smoking room smelled like cigarettes when we did NOT SMOKE ANYTHING in our room!

If we wanted a room that we could smoke in, we would have gotten a smoking room!! DUH! They were available. This is just a SHADY way for them to rake in some extra money and take advantage of their access to my credit card information.

The front desk clerk had even told me that many rooms are former smoking rooms that were recently renovated, cleaned and converted to non-smoking rooms. There could still be residual odors that are later released. The room didn't smell like cigarettes to us but it's completely plausible that the smell could remain in the carpet and be released when a housekeeper vacuums the room. Completely unfair to charge customers for a cigarette odor in a room that was formerly a smoking room. Or it didn't even smell like cigs and they just want to take my money. That will backfire of course, when they loose business!

Room Tip: Get a smoking room or expect to get robbed.
Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank nicole60713
dattardi, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Hello, nicole60713 –

It is good to hear from you again.

First and foremost, we are very sorry that you feel that we “jacked” you for $250. I can assure you that we did not wrongfully or spitefully charge your credit card. As a hotel with thousands of guests each year, we take our guests’ financial transactions very seriously.

As you can imagine, there are two sides to every story, so here is our side…

First of all, to your point about if you wanted a smoking room then you would have just gotten a smoking room, that isn’t exactly true. In fact, as of earlier this year the entire state of Michigan went smoke-free, so there are no smoking hotel rooms in anywhere Michigan.

Secondly, all of our former smoking rooms were renovated when we converted to a 100% non-smoking hotel earlier this year, so it is highly unlikely that the smoke odor came from the room; Not to mention the fact that we have not gotten a single complaint about this since our conversion to non-smoking.

Also, as you will recall, you signed a statement saying that you understood that if we found evidence of smoking in the room we would charge $250.

Again, we are extremely regretful that you feel that you we wrongfully charged you $250, however there is a significant amount of evidence to the contrary. The bottom line is we must do what we have to do to comply with state laws and regulations and to best serve all of our guests, so if there is evidence of smoking in the room we are obligated to have it professionally cleaned and sanitized. And as you know, the expense for that service is the guest’s responsibility.

Regardless, we apologize that it has come to this and we hope you understand our position. Thank you very much for staying with us; we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Always,
Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills management
Aldie, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

Due to wedding planning, I had not slept well in weeks. I had to make a quick overnight trip to Rochester Hills for work and was thrilled to finally check in to the hotel after a long day of being on the road. The lady at the front desk was very sweet and when I got to my room, I was pleased to find it was modern, spacious, and had a huge king bed - nothing short of what I expected for a Crowne Plaza property. The bathroom was huge! A little bit outdated, due to the brass fittings and black granite/tile mix, but really no complaints - it was huge, good water pressure, and plenty counter space to spread out my overnight toiletries. When I finally went to bed...I slept straight for almost eight hours and it was quite possibly THE best sleep I'd had in a month at that point. The bed was comfy, the room temperature was awesome, I woke up without sweating, totally rested and felt fantastic. I missed the complimentary breakfast the next morning, but I loved being able to sleep in and relax before heading off to the office! It was also very close to our Michigan office and I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
IHGCare, IHGCare at Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Dear liladyti,

Thank you for review regarding your stay with the Crowne Plaza Hotel Auburn Hills. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We are always happy to hear when a guest has a wonderful experience at one of our hotels. We are very glad to know you were able to get a great night's sleep. Thank you again for your kind words. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Myrna Molina
Case Manager
IHGCare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed two nights and it was pretty good. Staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were nice ther than the bottle left from the last guest. The bathroom was big but not what the office shows on the website. The shower curtain wouldn't shut all the way since the bar it hung on was lose. O'malley's was very good. It is close to the palace which s nice. If in the area again would stay again

• Stayed April 2011
ehager, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Greetings!

Thank you very much for your detailed review on our hotel, the Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills. We take every review extremely serious because it is a wonderful way to improve our service to our guests.

We can assure you that the shower curtain situation has been looked into and solved.

We take great pride in our location to the Palace and the superb restaurant that we have in our lobby, O’Malley’s Tavern. We look forward to serving you again when you are in the area. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay more comfortable and enjoyable.

Thank you!
The Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills Team
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2011

The price is ok, includes a great breakfast buffet But that is where hte compliments end. Check in is at 4 , we arrive at 3, just to see and was not greeted very warmly at all. The girl at the front made it quite clear to us that because we booked through expedia there are no guarantees of any room request (We simply asked not to have a wheel chair room as we had that one before int he same hotel and found it very uncomfortable). She went on to say"I've worked in 5 hotels and the policy is the same". She was very snippy and treated us "expedia" customers like we were second class. We had lunch and came back at 4 only to be checked in and receive the most aweful view of the rooftop of the swimming pool,which included nothing but rocks and vents. Nice. Found out seocnd morning that breakfast coupons are for the buffet which ends at 9 on week days. We were told 7 -11 by front desk. My advice? Save some money and stay at the Hyatt, much classier rooms with fridge and microwave and separate sitting area and service always top notch. Very disappointing stay thanks to one disgruntled employee on a power trip.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Battle Creek, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

I was expecting to go to a concert and stay in a room where I was just a guest and it was just another day.I am soooo glad this was not the case.I checked in with a limited ammount of time to get ready for the show eat and make sure I knew where i was going and needed to be to get there.I was so relieved to know I was in great hands.
The front desk staff calmed me down and let me know things were very well under control.I ordered room service wich was prompt warm and exactly what I ordered.I then was worried about traveling to the concert ( since I was not from the area) Again the staff was there I asked the best way to get from the Hotel to The Palace ,I was informed the location was very close and that a cab could be gotten in a few moments notice,I arranged for a cab pick up and that was The show was amazing !
I returned and had just as good of a time being at the hotel .
Dont pass up any chance to explore the hotel.its very nicely laid out and very well kept.The staff will amaze you with charm and genuine personality as well as a profesional atittude .Your stay will be amazing and you will want to return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
ehager, Manager at Crowne Plaza Auburn Hills, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Hello!

First, thank you for such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are constantly trying to better our service and receiving reviews are the best ways of doing so! We take great pride in not only our wonderful team members but also our location to The Palace.

We are so glad to hear that you had a great time at the concert and look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Thanks again,