“decent & clean for a quick over-night stay”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Mount Morris Twp., Michigan, USA
“decent & clean for a quick over-night stay”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband & I went to a marriage retreat in February of 2013. Our room was a suite & was quite clean & very nice, actually. The only problem I had was the conference room was very small for the size of group that was at the retreat. We felt crowded into the room & that made it a bit uncomfortable. Breakfast was okay, since it was continental & provided what a person would typically get in a typical hotel. I always bring my own food, since I am Gluten-Intolerant & the continental breakfasts usually offer things that are not what I typically eat at home (I eat mostly Organic foods & of course, Gluten-Free foods).... I do wish these places would use "real" dishes & coffee cups, etc., since the chemicals in styrofoam leach into the food & drink... Very few of the hotels or Inns use the real thing, sadly. ......Also, I suppose that since it is a Holiday Inn "Express", that's why the entry way is quite small. there's really no place to sit & read a book in comfort, because of all the people going in & out & also the workers are right there..... Our room had a nice sofa & table & chairs, so it would be fine for that.... just no other place in the building for privacy.... I think I am a bit spoiled by Essenhaus Inn & Conference Center in Middlebury Indiana and the B&B's we tend to stay at ;-)

If you're looking for a quick stop, this is a good choice. Clean. Offers Breakfast. Nice staff.... Certainly NOT a place that encourages romance for a Marriage Retreat. (But that was the choice of whoever set the retreat up). It does have a lot of shopping & several restaurants right there, since it is right next to the Great Lakes Crossing Mall & other shopping areas.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DebRu05
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear DebRu05,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is great to read from our guests on how we are doing. I sincerely apologize that your stay with us was not up to your standards and would appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
michigan
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here twice now using our free anniversary night from the Priority Club Visa card. The toilet is interesting - the first time I've ever have a bidet type In a Hiexpress. The room and beds are comfortable, and the breakfast is good - I love the cinnamon rolls! At first we received a bill for our stay, but the manager sorted it out and was very nice. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, especially if you want a shopping getaway to Great Lakes Crossing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Knoxville, TN USA
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel in a convenient area. Room was comfortable and clean. Staff was friendly and helpful. And this is the first HI Express I've seen with a bidet on the toilet! (an add-on type, but cool nonetheless).

• Stayed March 2013
Lansing, MI
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here one night when we ran into a bad snow storm on our way from Troy back to our home in Lansing. I just picked it off a google search from my phone and didn't disappoint. I used to travel a lot for a previous job and stayed in many budget hotels and this is by far the nicest I have stayed in. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The bathroom was nice and had very nice toiletries for a Holiday Inn. The check in person was great and even gave us toothbrushes and tooth paste because he knew we had nothing with us. The breakfast was good as far as budget hotel breakfasts go. Our only complaint was that as we left they did not salt the walk and my husband slipped and hurt his back. I read about this just a few minutes ago in another review, sounds like it is a consistent problem there and Holiday Inn should get that rectified or they will end up with a law suit. The walk to the parking lot behind the hotel is steep and can be very dangerous when slippery

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and it gets better each time. The staff are always very friendly and helpful - thanks Michelle and Amy the manager is fantastic! From the time you arrive, the lobby is clean, there is always hot coffee and fresh baked cookies to enjoy as well the guest rooms are very clean. The gym (recently renovated) and pool area are also well maintained. The breakfast is awesome - what a great bonus! We travel from Toronto, Canada and this hotel is our 1st choice to stay at. We love it!! If you are looking for a hotel in this area be sure to stay here.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an upgraded room - it's well worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, ON
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Originally was booked to stay at this hotel only one night, as the next I would be moving on to stay with a frriend. I was travelling by bus, which left me in downtown Pontiac, not the safest place to be. Called the hotel and Matt assured me that the bus stop was within 5 miles from the hotel and the shuttle could come and get me. He even brought me coffee as it was brutally cold!! Everything from the moment of arrival to the moment I checked out (two days later) was amazing. The hotel is in the best location for outlet shopping. The staff was amazing, the room was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in. I ended up suffering acrisis and had to stay an extra night. The staff went above and beyond to help me, and to accomodate my needs. The shuttle service was great. The friendliness of the staff was much appreciated. The overall experience was fantastic. I would recommend this hotel to EVERYONE. And plan to stay again if I am ever in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you are traveling in the Auburn Hills area, this is the place to stay. Clean, quite rooms and a staff which is at the top. There is a Hampton Inn across the parking lot which just opened. Normally I would take a brand new Hampton in as the place to stay but somehow the staff at this Holdiay Inn continues to make it the place to stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business