“Felt like home”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
New Hamburg, Canada
“Felt like home”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This place felt like home. I hate staying in hotels because i'm a bit of a germ phob.
It was so clean I actually could kick back and relax. Beds were comfy and the bathroom was nice and very clean. The staff was super nice and very friendly.
The breakfast was the best I have ever had at a hotel.
This was an all around great hotel!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
ON,Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stayed here on Jan 12,2013. The hostess that checked us in was friendly and welcoming. She was knowledgeable about the area and answered every question we asked, she was very helpful. Our room was clean and smelled fresh. The halls, the lobby the dining area and the pool area were also very clean. All staff we met acknowledges us and asked if we were enjoying our stay a pleasant change from a lot of hotels we have stayed at. The hot breakfast really was hot and fresh with more variety than I have seen in any other hotel. The pool was clean though it did show a little wear on the bottom. Our room was stocked with towels, shampoo, lotions, cups and conditioner. It was a pleasure to stay at this hotel and I would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor and we found it to be quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Beijing, China
Reviewed December 16, 2012

My family and I stayed there for five days total. The location is great since it is right across from the Outlet Mall and also only 10 mins drive from the Stadium. However, I would still prefer the one right next to them which is the Hampton Inn. They are both great but I stayed at Hampton Inn at the beginning of this year for a business trip and the room there is def. much more newer and nicer compare it with the Holiday Inn. However, Holiday Inn do offer better breakfast deal in the morning lol

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Chatham
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I love this chain of hotels!!
This hotel was great as well other than a few issues. The walls were super thin. We could hear the radio through the wall in the middle of the night. Also we woke up to snow the next morning and as we were loading our things into our car walking down the stairs outside was trecherous. No one had salted or shoveled. When I mentioned it to the front desk as we were leaving at 930am she told us that priorty was their other property and they would be dealing with it soon. Hopefully soon meant before someone fell and hurt themselves.
Breakfast staff was very nice, joking about how us Canadians LOVE our coffee. Very clean rooms and still smelled new in the hallways.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mama_2_a_b
Stratford
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I took my wife and daughter shopping at the mall and the location was fantastic. I went back to the room and watched college football all afternoon while my wife and daughter went shopping. The hotel got all the ESPN channels and I had my choice of SEVEN football games. The front desk personnel were VERY polite, room was great and the breakfast (free) saved me $25.00. This was our second time staying here and most certainly will not be the last!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our second stay at this Holiday Inn and it didn't disappoint. We stayed for 1 night for a girls shopping trip. Check in was a breeze both times we stayed and the staff was friendly and helpful. I emailed ahead enquiring about the shuttle service they offered and received a prompt reply. As we arrived later in the evening we didn't end up using it this time but what a great service. The shuttle runs until approx 10 pm and will take you to stores within the area. I forget the radius but it included all of the stores we wanted to go to (Kohl's, Meijers, Target etc). The rooms were clean and the beds comfy. I used the pool in the morning and it was delightful. As posted previously breakfast is free and better than you get at a lot of places. Great Lakes Crossing is within walking distance and the sales were great. It was a nice get away for my daughters and I. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank librarylor
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have stayed at this Holiday Inn before and had a great experience so I was expecting the same this time. I found the room I stayed in to be very nice however I am not sure if it was thoroughly cleaned after someone stayed in it or if a guest stayed a short period and it wasn't cleaned at all. There was a welcome letter for someone on the desk that was not myself (I stayed last minute) and then I found a retainer in its holder on the floor at the foot of the bed.

The breakfast area is a great set-up and there is a lot of choice however the apple I bit into was rotten.

I found the rate with the CAA discount (which is not much of a discount) to be expensive. I also realized that I was charged for a collect call I made after reading the hotel's handbook that said there would be no charge?

Overall I was a little disappointed because I have had such a great exerience at this hotel previously.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Julie I
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Julie I,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Auburn Hills.

Karen G.