Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd.
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Reviewed August 11, 2008

I had come online here to check out reviews and was upset thinking I was going to stay in another disgusting hotel. I was happy to find that it was a very nice and clean hotel. My room was very nice and the front desk people were very helpful. I did have a problem with the hair blower overheating and shutting down. But, I called the front desk and the person apologized and said it would be taken care of. When I returned to the hotel that evening, it had already been replaced. I talked to an employee about my fears of staying there and he said the hotel is now under new management and they are trying their best to take care of any problems that might come up. I enjoyed my 5 day stay at the hotel and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed July 24, 2008

The property was very dirty. Staff very unprofessional. DO NOT welcome children. Several items in the rooms did not work. Poor management. Checking in took a long time. Rooms not ready at check in. They did not want to pay a "houskeeper overtime" to make rooms presentable.

• Stayed: July 2008
Reviewed July 19, 2008

I am a 20-something guy who stayed at this place for more than two weeks because it was one of the few places in Auburn Hills recommended by my employer.
The good thing about this place - located very close to where I work at Auburn Hills, walking distance to a Tim Hortons (if you like Tim Hortons for food), located close to the Interstate exit.

Bad thing about this place - dirty bed linen (Both the blankets provided to me had disgusting looking stains and cigarette holes in them), Hot water in the bathroon shower and the sink did not work properly (I had to boil water on the stove top to get hot water for shaving; I complained to the front desk but they never fixed the problem; instead they told me that "there was a trick to it" and that I should turn the tap only by the right amount and not all the way up), the pots and pans in the kitchen were dirty and almost unusable (only two utensils were provided and both had burnt grease sticking on their cooking surfaces; (needless to say that you cannot even cook eggs in them; that is why I was thankful for the nearby Tim Hortons), housekeeping is erratic at best (I was told that they would clean my room every wednesday but they skipped the first wednesday and cleaned my room only the next wednesday ( and I guess that was because I specifically asked for it that morning).
Laundry - washer and dryer - are shared by everyone of the floor. And they work pretty well. You will need quarters to operate them.
Enough parkinng around the building.
Fitness facility is practically a joke here. There are three machines there - one treadmill, one stairclimber, and one elliptical. I like to keep myself fit and I am a very good runner. I used this facility a couple of times but otherwise, I used a professional gym in Troy, MI (I managed to get a temporary guest pass).
The complimentary breakfast at this hotel is minimal at best. Apples, Waffles, Bagels, awful coffee (I suggest that you brew your own coffee in your room).
If your work involves accessing the internet, please be informed that this place would charge you $4.99 per 24 hours to access the web. This charge was waived for me because of some special arrangement of the hotel with my employer.
Overall, it is a cheap place (it is hard to beat their prices). You get what you pay for. If I were spending money out of my own pocket, I would have never stayed here. I would much rather pay a few dollars more and stay at a nicer and more comfortable place.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank PolarBear23456
Reviewed December 5, 2007

This place is low on service. Don't be lured by the promise of breakfast which consist of off-brand freezer waffles and bagels, off-brand jelly and old dinky oranges and apples.

After being at the hotel for 7 days I still had not completed my business in Michigan and had to extend my stay at this dreadful hotel. My workload did not allow for me to take time to check out of one hotel and into another. This hotel only does housekeeping every 7 days. They said that since I didn't have one continuous stay I was not "technically" entitled to have my room cleaned. but they did it anyway and left it pretty much they way they found it. I asked if they could come back and finish cleaning and they told me they didn't do thorough cleanings until a person checked out of a room. They said they could move me to a different room which was also unacceptable to me as I had to go to three separate rooms when I checked in to find one that didn't smell, have lamps and was not dirty. Also, at check in, with keys to more than one room, I took clean chairs from one unit and exchanged them from the unit that was the best choice. Ditto for the ironing board (dirty covers and unsteady), the shower curtain (filthy and dirty in the unit I took), coach cushions (filthy and dirty), etc.

Also, I had a slow drain which they did not fix so my bathroom sink was dirty the whole time. Another problem is the cheap sheets that didn't fit the beds.

when it snowed, they didn't clean the sidewalks and the parking lot was icy.

I absolutely hated this hotel.

Stayed: December 2007
2  Thank MichiganBusinesslady
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I was stayed in this cheap terrible hotel on oct 2007 for 2 nights with my family. We were 4 ppl in the trip and booked 2 rooms. I was the one who booked the rooms through their website because I stayed with their other property before and they will email me a promotional code every week! This hotel is so dirty the carpet is not clean and the air conditioning is not working, due to the long trip in the day and the weather is not that hot so we were too tired to ask to change rooms. But the wall is so thin you can hear everything in the lounge and the next room, it was so noisy in the morning 7-10am from the ppl warking in the lounge we couldn't sleep until we wanted to. Remember we had booked for 2 nights we don't need to wake up so earily to check out! We tried to fly some eggs in the morning but the fan in the kitchen is FAKE, not a REAL fan with suck all the smoke outside of the room, the room was full of smoke that we had to stop cooking and opened all the windons and door. The kitchen was useless because you can't use it without a fan and there had NO REAL FAN. Finally we checked out on the 3rd morning when we looked at the bill they didn't give us a $20off for the promotional code we booked for, they keep saying that we didn't had the code when we were booked the rooms. Well! I received their email every week and book right through from that email with the promotional code but they refuse to give us. $20off is not a big deal when you were going on a vacation, the problem was the attitude of their stuff was so bad, his name is Frederick! The way he was EXPLAINING to us was so rude! You will know he was saying we were cheap to begging $20off. When we tell him that we could show him about the booking comformation email with the $20off promotional code he said their hotel didn't had a computer?!? what a joke!! A hotel didn't had a computer?!? I think his just making excuse to not giving us the discount! We argued with him in the lobby for 15 mins, because we still had plans we need to leave that hotel. When I got home I wrote a letter to the hotel to complaint about this, the other joke is their hotel manager reply me a letter saying that I had 3 people in the room and didn't charged us for the extra persons, we saved far more than $20?!? come on, we were 4 ppl but we had 2 rooms, where was the extra person?!? I reply the letter to them saying we didn't had extra person but they didn't reply to me again! So, DON'T STAY THIS HOTEL. THE HOTEL IS DIRTY , THE STUFF ARE RUDE AND FULL OF NONSENSE!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank bbtam
Reviewed April 13, 2007

I booked this for a one night stay to do a little shopping in the area. There were only two of us, and as we had booked through Priceline (paying a total of under $40 including taxes) we were given a "studio" room, their smallest. The first room we were given had ants in the bathroom. After killing them and watching more reappear from under the molding that separated the bathroom tile from the carpeted area, I called the desk to ask for a different room. We were moved to the second floor and were happy to see no ants. However, we did notice that the remote for the TV would not work.

We stopped at the desk and asked for a new battery for the remote and we were told that the problem was not the battery but that the remotes kept deprogramming themselves. The clerk wrote out instructions for us to reprogram the remote and said if we were unable to fix the problem she would be happy to come up and do it for us. We didn't need her help and took care of it ourselves.

Despite the couple of snags, I gave this hotel 3 stars because it was such an excellent value at the price we paid. Beware that this hotel provides T.P. and soap in the bathrooms but no shampoo, conditioner, or other amenities. There was a coffeemaker in the kitchen area with a packet of coffee but we chose to get our morning coffee from the breakfast area downstairs in the morning.

Breakfast was a very basic setup of cold waffles, pancakes, and bagels that you could warm up in the toaster. I think it could get ugly down there with only one 4-slice toaster for everyone to use, but it was not busy while we were there. There were also some apples, juice, and 2 coffee blends available. I missed my morning oatmeal, but again, for the price we paid...

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank ElCheapster
Reviewed August 23, 2005

Stayed here on the weekend and there was one incident after another that left me dissatisfied. First of all, they could not provide us with room types as reserved. Told us to come back in a few hours. When we did so, they still didn't have a room of any description to give us. Finally, a room of a different type was found.

Then, went out to breakfast the next day and came back to find out we were locked out of our rooms. Had to wait in line at the front desk until we could get our cards reprogrammed. The last day, we received a call 5 minutes after checkout time telling us to vacate our room as we were scheduled to check out. I've infrequently been 5-15 minutes late leaving a room and have never received such a call - - it seemed especially rude since we had to wait hours to get into a room, but we couldn't be 5 minutes late leaving it.

Also, they described the rooms I reserved as a 2 room suite. By my counting there were two rooms - - one was a kitchen, living, dining, bedroom which were all pretty much wide open to each other and the other was the bathroom.

Finally, the rooms would have been nice if they have been clean. Walls and carpets seemed stained and grubby. Thankfully, the linens appeared to be fresh in at least one of our rooms.

Stay somewhere else in Auburn Hills. The Staybridge Suites and Hilton Suites are much nicer and worth the extra $20 or so it costs.

p.s. check the reviews for Extended Stay Americas in Auburn Hills carefully. I think some people have gotten the ones on Doris Rd. and Featherstone Rd. mixed up. The good review for the Featherstone property and the bad review for the Doris Rd. property are mixed up in my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2005