“Not first choice of hotels in Detroit Metro area to stay in”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd.
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Muskegon, Michigan
“Not first choice of hotels in Detroit Metro area to stay in”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a night over this past weekend for a business trip in the Detroit metro area, and our first impression of the place, when we arrived to an unlit exterior of a hotel at the dark of night when the other 2 hotels near it were lit tells the story of our short stay there. The front desk clerk took forever to show up to the desk when we arrived and phoned in the little phone by the desk to check in. After politely asking for a room on a location above the 1st floor, we were abruptly brushed back and told that the hotel is sold out; our room was next to the tiny gym instead. Our room was pretty cozy for a couple, with only one little ottoman chair for us to sit in the living area by the bed, and a smaller kitchen area than the one we had at another Extended Stay America hotel in a different Michigan town. The bed was also harder than that other ESA hotel, so much so that my wife had troubles sleeping for most of the night leading to the morning of our departure. Lastly, the hot water in the shower comes up short in that department, which is strange considering the hot water in the nearby vanity sink and in the kitchen sink runs just fine. It's not too comfortable showering in lukewarm water to start off our morning.

Overall, the hotel is located in a good area, has nice exterior architecture and lobby, but ultimately, the insides of it failed to impressed us. We will not likely to return to this particular ESA hotel for a stay in the Metro Detroit area in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank chocopenguin
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am very sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs upon arrival in a professional manner. In response, I am reviewing our customer service standards with the entire team and how we handle overnight check-in's to ensure this does not happen again. As for the bedding, I am pleased to announce we will be receiving all new mattresses in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cambridge, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Should have realized the moment we checked in and the lady that checked us in said if our bed sheets are dirty bring them down and they will give us clean ones!! When we arrived to our room there was a huge beattle hanging on our curtains and there was 2 other bugs dead on the windo ledge!!.. The hotel was very smelly cause people were cooking and had there doors pryed open so that the smell would not stay in their hotel room so the hallways smelled like fish! Breakfast was only apple oranges and oatmeal bar. No juice or water. Would not ever stay here again!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GRA1414
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I was disheartened to read that you encountered housekeeping issues. I apologize that our housekeeping policy was not reviewed with you during check-in. I've discussed your comments with the team to insure a more complete room inspection is performed to ensure cleanliness is to our standards.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I was here for about 2 months, working at a nearby hospital, which coincidently offers discounts for this place. Overall, the staff was friendly and helpful. Internet was slow and expensive to upgrade (about $50 IIRC), but is a must if you want to stream good quality video and skyping. There is no gym, but the extended stay nearby has one for about an extra dollar a day.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, October 11, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your accommodations were satisfactory. I am sorry about the inconvenience you had with the internet and promise to look into your concerns.

Jaco, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I stay at Extended Stay Auburn Hills for a business trip to Detroit, around a week in September 2013.

When I travel on business, I really don't care about the hotels in which I stay, so I usually pick the cheapest I can find across the various hotel sites. For this trip, I paid around $45 per night, which is very cheap.

Of course, you don't get much more than your room, which is spacious and nice, albeit somewhat old. I hate fixed shower heads, but they are so common in the US, I won't hold that against this hotel.

There's no room service unless you stay longer than a week, in which case you get one room cleaning per week. There are no facilities to mention; there's a gym with three cardio machines, there are vending machines (but no restaurant). There's included breakfast if you count packaged donuts or backs of instant oatmeal as breakfast. You get a kitchenette and a full fridge so you can save by buying your own breakfast and make in your room. To get fresh towels, you have to bring your dirty ones to the reception and exchange. There's a pool, but it was closed while I was there.

Overall, however, if you're loking for dirt cheap and are willing to sacrifice on ammenities, this is an OK place to stay if you can find cheap nights.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. At Extended Stay America we try to create a "Home away from Home" atmosphere. I certainly hope we were able to accomplish this during your time spent with us. I was happy to hear you found the rooms spacious and was able to utilize the kitchen facilities.

Thanks you again for your review. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any of our other locations, in the future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed for just over three months and this hotel is the best value in an area with several others, which is no doubt why they are almost alwas booked solid, make your reservations early!!!....

Ps. Only compliant is the very limited laundry facilities...

Room Tip: Apparently there can be a big difference in room quality based on location, i'd always try for t...
1 Thank RayBloom
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Ray - I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I'm so pleased to hear that your three month stay was so enjoyable! The staff and I truly loved having you visit and we hope you will repeat your experience with us in the future.
Middletown, Delaware
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I would like to take the time to express just how disappointed I am with Extended Stay America. Recently I went on a business trip and stayed at the Auburn Hills- Featherstone Road Location from September 6, 2013 until September 18, 2013. From the second I walked into my room, I realized this was not going to be a comfortable stay. As I open the door, the first thing to welcome me was the smell of Guinea Pig. In case you are unaware of what that smells like, it is a very musty smell of feces and wood. Thinking the smell would air itself out; I started to get settled in for my stay. As I began to unpack my clothes in the drawers, the first thing I noticed was that there was a greasy handprint on the front of the dresser, giving away that the room wasn’t cleaned properly. Not only this, but I found the trash from the last resident in the top drawer. I was immediately uncomfortable in the room feeling as if it had not been cleaned before I came, and it made it even worse our room was to only be cleaned on the following Friday, seeing as it was a Friday afternoon (meaning no one had cleaned before we arrived). Later that night when returning to the hotel, we entered the room to find that only 2 of our lights worked out of the 5 we had, and the main light was very dim-giving us the feel of walking into a dungeon. To make it feel more like home, I rearranged the chair and couch in our room, to reveal that there was what looked to be a hole on the side of the couch the size of a bullet hole, and there was dried up stains on the floor. As if this weren’t enough, as I lay down to settle in and watch some TV, I realize the remote doesn’t work. Hoping it was just the batteries I made my first trip down to the front desk (which I’ll go into more detail later), to find out it wasn’t. I finally gave up, and went to sleep with a long day in the morning. Waking up at 6am, I was hoping to start off on a good foot, but was once again let down. As I go to get in the shower, I first see that the bottom of the shower was almost black with grime. I put down the shower mat to cover it and turned on the water. While turning the water on, water came out both the shower head, and the faucet and there was no way to fix it, making it impossible to have a good shower due to the fact there was very little pressure coming out of the shower head. As I go to rinse my hair, I look up to see that there was still hair on the shower head from the last guest…again. After coming back from work, I went to the kitchen to make myself dinner. Trying to use the microwave, I noticed our microwave plate didn’t rotate as it should have, making it harder to warm up anything without paying special attention. Throughout the week, I used all the dishes, and wanted to clean them. Come to find out, our dishwasher didn’t work either- go figure. With being on a large business trip, our company had rented 6 or 7 rooms for us all. Being friends as well as co-workers, we all went to visit each other when we got off early. One night I visited the room directly above us to realize that their room was much better than ours was. When walking into their room (while still not all that great) you felt more welcomed with redone carpets, cabinets, fresh paint, and working lights. Another night, down the hall we visited another room that was also redone completely. As mentioned before, though the room was not impressive in the least, the two other rooms were drastically improved from my room. This really made me unimpressed with my room, causing me to go inquire about getting a new room. This is where I get really annoyed.
I went to visit the front desk (not for the first time) to be quite irritated with how the system works. When you arrive, no matter what time it is, there is no one at the front desk. Instead, you are so graciously welcomed by a sign telling me to use the phone on the wall next to the desk to dial 0. It then goes on to say that you must remain on the phone to wait for them to pick up to get helped. This is absolutely ridiculous. You’re standing there in the lobby, on the phone next to the desk, hearing the phone ringing telling you it’s a call from the lobby to have them pick up saying “front desk”…which is where you are standing. The first night, when I went to get batteries this is how the situation went. I arrived at the front desk and was told to use the phone. I dial 0 and try to be patient as the phone rings at least 7 times before someone finally picks up saying “front desk”. My response was me saying that I was at the front desk, and needed batteries. At this point one would assume the front desk person would come to the desk, but instead he remained on the phone in the closed room and asked what kind I needed. I told him AA and that is when Michael finally came out of his back room. Trying to make conversation, I joked and said “I’ll trade ya!” and he responded very robotically saying “I’m just going to throw these away, anything else?” Responding no, he didn’t even say have a good night, and went back to his room, closing the door behind him. This wasn’t my first run in with Michael. The night that I went down with my roommate to discuss getting a new room, I once again dealt with the same system. Call, wait 7 rings, and finally get him to come out of his closed door room. This time the sign said “sorry, sold out.” When Michael finally came out, I asked what the sign meant. He responded with a very blunt “We’re sold out of rooms. Why?” I then went on to tell him that was the reason I was at the desk. With being sold out, I instead got a piece of paper where I was told to write down my complaints. While my roommate was creating the list of 10 complaints we had at the time, we explained to him what was going on. After explaining, Michael told us “Don’t use my name, but what you should do is call corporate and tell them your complaints. If there is that much wrong with the room, you should talk to them about lowering the rate for your room.” We handed him the list and he told us there was nothing he could do but to put our name and number down and that he would leave it on the GM’s desk and he would read it Monday morning (it was Saturday night). Monday comes around, and we receive no call. Tuesday comes around, still no call. Not once during the whole two weeks did we receive a call about our complaints to even receive an apology. Once again, it would be lovely if this were our only experience with Michael. A few nights later, my friends in the room above us wanted new towels. They went down to the front desk, and this time the office door was open. Thinking Michael would hear them, they didn’t bother to use the phone. They stood there for almost 10 minutes making noises, tapping on the desk counter, anything to get his attention and he didn’t walk out. Finally I told him that he wouldn’t get helped unless he used the phone which he finally did. He called just long enough to hear it ring in the office, and thinking that was enough hung up. He waited another 3 minutes before Michael finally wandered out of the office explaining that “next time, if you want to get helped you need to remain on the line until I pick up and ask what you need, or else I don’t know if anyone is there” …even though the office door was open and he could easily hear us talking, and tapping, and heard the phone saying “call from lobby”. They proceeded to ask about new towels and were told to go get their old ones to be replaced. They went back to the room, got the towels, and got new ones. I didn’t think there was any problem; until the next morning. In the elevator that morning, my friend and I were going down to the first floor, and we held the door open for Michael and his cart of trash. While in the elevator we were confronted by Michael where he said “You know what would save us all a lot of time and frustration? If you guys all came and got your necessary stuff done before 11 when I get here.” He then went on to tell us how we were lucky he happened to have extra towels for us, but he wouldn’t in the future and that he didn’t have toilet paper to offer… which was an issue we ran into an hour before. We all woke up around 5:30 to get ready for work, and my roommate and another team member needed toilet paper. They both went down to the front desk to get some, and Michael said “I don’t have any.” They went on to inquire about what would happen if they had to use the bathroom, and they were told they would have to wait until 7 o’clock because he didn’t have any and that his job was to basically stock the snacks, and empty the trash. But I digress back to the elevator situation. As he told us that we needed to get all of our stuff done before 11 because he was here to wipe down desks, and empty the trash, we told him that we were doing a store opening and were working 12 hour days, and then went out to dinner as a group. Seeing as there were 15 of us, dinner took a few hours meaning we didn’t get home until around 10 each night, and at that point we would all have to go running down to the desk to do everything, and that was inconvenient. He responded with “well, maybe you should all come back before you go out to dinner to get stuff done”. This makes no sense; to drive 15 minutes back to the hotel to get things done, to pack up again and go back out to dinner. When I ran into the dishwasher problem, I called the front desk and asked if I could come down to the front desk to get more plates because the dishwasher didn’t work. This woman was definitely a lot nicer and informed me I could come down to get some and that she would put the issue on the maintenance list. When I got down to the front desk I was offered new plates, and a bottle of Dawn. While it was nice to offer multiple solutions, the last thing I want to have to do (especially if this was a vacation, and not business) was have to clean my own dishes by hand. It was a little off-putting to hear “well here is some soap if you want it in case you just want to wash them yourself”.
Also on a side note, when housekeeping did come to clean our room the one time they did during our stay, they did a very poor job. There was still our hair in the shower, meaning they didn’t clean well; the countertop to the sink was still dirty, and our sheets weren’t changed, they just made the bed with the same linens; also disappointing. Plus, in others rooms, they experienced problems with trash being under the couch they noticed while moving the couch around, there were no cups in another’s room, and the list goes on.
Overall, I was very disappointed with the entire stay, and frankly quite disgusted. This is very unfortunate seeing as I have a need for another hotel room in the next 2 weeks in East Rutherford, New Jersey and there is an Extended Stay very close to the venue. The experience I had last time however was enough to make me want to stay further away just to have a better stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask specifically for an updated room
1 Thank Beth D
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was disheartened to read your comments concerning your stay. I personally had spoken to your team leader on several occasions during the groups visit. He was extremely satisfied and had nothing but good things to say. Unfortunately you did not share the same experience. Please accept our apologies. I have discussed your comments with the team, and we are committed to correct your concerns. Housekeeping is provided a check list to make sure every room has functional equipment including TV remotes and light bulbs. I will certainly address with the team your concerns about the overall cleanliness. Extended Stay properties do not offer housekeeping service on a daily basis. We will however always make the attempt to provide fresh towels and linen when needed. We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at DAB@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. It would be our pleasure to have you stay with us again in the future to show you our positive strides taken to enhance your experience with us.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on July 20, 2013. What we got for the price was good. Our main complaint was excess hair in the bathroom and poor drainage in the tub. We reserved three rooms and everyone mentioned the hair in their bathroom. Some of the towels and wash clothes should be put out of commission as they have stains on them. Overall the rooms and hotel itself are clean so I wouldn't not discourage anyone from giving it a try, it's just not up to my standards. Should I ever go back to Detroit, I may try an Extended Stay America at another location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd., responded to this review, July 26, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I truly appreciate your comments regarding the housekeeping concerns. I have reviewed our linen processing procedures with our team team to make sure all of our lines are fresh for our guests. Thank you again for your review. It would be our pleasure for you to repeat your experience with us in the future.