“nasty customer service, dirty noisy hotel”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - Featherstone Rd.
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
markham, on
“nasty customer service, dirty noisy hotel”
Reviewed October 19, 2007

I was stayed in this cheap terrible hotel on oct 2007 for 2 nights with my family. We were 4 ppl in the trip and booked 2 rooms. I was the one who booked the rooms through their website because I stayed with their other property before and they will email me a promotional code every week! This hotel is so dirty the carpet is not clean and the air conditioning is not working, due to the long trip in the day and the weather is not that hot so we were too tired to ask to change rooms. But the wall is so thin you can hear everything in the lounge and the next room, it was so noisy in the morning 7-10am from the ppl warking in the lounge we couldn't sleep until we wanted to. Remember we had booked for 2 nights we don't need to wake up so earily to check out! We tried to fly some eggs in the morning but the fan in the kitchen is FAKE, not a REAL fan with suck all the smoke outside of the room, the room was full of smoke that we had to stop cooking and opened all the windons and door. The kitchen was useless because you can't use it without a fan and there had NO REAL FAN. Finally we checked out on the 3rd morning when we looked at the bill they didn't give us a $20off for the promotional code we booked for, they keep saying that we didn't had the code when we were booked the rooms. Well! I received their email every week and book right through from that email with the promotional code but they refuse to give us. $20off is not a big deal when you were going on a vacation, the problem was the attitude of their stuff was so bad, his name is Frederick! The way he was EXPLAINING to us was so rude! You will know he was saying we were cheap to begging $20off. When we tell him that we could show him about the booking comformation email with the $20off promotional code he said their hotel didn't had a computer?!? what a joke!! A hotel didn't had a computer?!? I think his just making excuse to not giving us the discount! We argued with him in the lobby for 15 mins, because we still had plans we need to leave that hotel. When I got home I wrote a letter to the hotel to complaint about this, the other joke is their hotel manager reply me a letter saying that I had 3 people in the room and didn't charged us for the extra persons, we saved far more than $20?!? come on, we were 4 ppl but we had 2 rooms, where was the extra person?!? I reply the letter to them saying we didn't had extra person but they didn't reply to me again! So, DON'T STAY THIS HOTEL. THE HOTEL IS DIRTY , THE STUFF ARE RUDE AND FULL OF NONSENSE!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — customer service
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank bbtam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Michigan
Reviewed April 13, 2007

I booked this for a one night stay to do a little shopping in the area. There were only two of us, and as we had booked through Priceline (paying a total of under $40 including taxes) we were given a "studio" room, their smallest. The first room we were given had ants in the bathroom. After killing them and watching more reappear from under the molding that separated the bathroom tile from the carpeted area, I called the desk to ask for a different room. We were moved to the second floor and were happy to see no ants. However, we did notice that the remote for the TV would not work.

We stopped at the desk and asked for a new battery for the remote and we were told that the problem was not the battery but that the remotes kept deprogramming themselves. The clerk wrote out instructions for us to reprogram the remote and said if we were unable to fix the problem she would be happy to come up and do it for us. We didn't need her help and took care of it ourselves.

Despite the couple of snags, I gave this hotel 3 stars because it was such an excellent value at the price we paid. Beware that this hotel provides T.P. and soap in the bathrooms but no shampoo, conditioner, or other amenities. There was a coffeemaker in the kitchen area with a packet of coffee but we chose to get our morning coffee from the breakfast area downstairs in the morning.

Breakfast was a very basic setup of cold waffles, pancakes, and bagels that you could warm up in the toaster. I think it could get ugly down there with only one 4-slice toaster for everyone to use, but it was not busy while we were there. There were also some apples, juice, and 2 coffee blends available. I missed my morning oatmeal, but again, for the price we paid...

• Liked — The Price! Having the kitchen would have been a big plus if we were staying longer but it didn't really come into play on this trip.
  • Disliked — I would not recommend this hotel for a group of more than 2 unless you book several rooms. Also not recommended if you don't feel comfortable sharing a bed with your travelmate. Oh, also not recommended if you can't pick up after yourself - there is no maid service on a daily basis.
  • Stayed April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank ElCheapster
London Ontario
Reviewed August 23, 2005

Stayed here on the weekend and there was one incident after another that left me dissatisfied. First of all, they could not provide us with room types as reserved. Told us to come back in a few hours. When we did so, they still didn't have a room of any description to give us. Finally, a room of a different type was found.

Then, went out to breakfast the next day and came back to find out we were locked out of our rooms. Had to wait in line at the front desk until we could get our cards reprogrammed. The last day, we received a call 5 minutes after checkout time telling us to vacate our room as we were scheduled to check out. I've infrequently been 5-15 minutes late leaving a room and have never received such a call - - it seemed especially rude since we had to wait hours to get into a room, but we couldn't be 5 minutes late leaving it.

Also, they described the rooms I reserved as a 2 room suite. By my counting there were two rooms - - one was a kitchen, living, dining, bedroom which were all pretty much wide open to each other and the other was the bathroom.

Finally, the rooms would have been nice if they have been clean. Walls and carpets seemed stained and grubby. Thankfully, the linens appeared to be fresh in at least one of our rooms.

Stay somewhere else in Auburn Hills. The Staybridge Suites and Hilton Suites are much nicer and worth the extra $20 or so it costs.

p.s. check the reviews for Extended Stay Americas in Auburn Hills carefully. I think some people have gotten the ones on Doris Rd. and Featherstone Rd. mixed up. The good review for the Featherstone property and the bad review for the Doris Rd. property are mixed up in my opinion.

• Stayed August 2005
3 Thank Lucretia3221
Nashville, TN
Reviewed August 11, 2004

Recently visited Detroit/Auburn Hills on vacation to tour Chrysler & Ford museums and operations, needed room for 5 nights. This property was a link on Southwest Airlines site; had previously not heard of this chain. Few web postings existed, but one said this was a newer facility that could be had with great rates. Believe it! Clean facility, great friendly staff, continental breakfast, kitchenette (with dishes & silverware) & microwave, recliner & workstation, coin laundry in vending areas, pool (open till 10 PM) and high-speed internet access - all at $54/night (rack rate at $89.00). No restaurant on premises, but plenty within 1-3 miles; Wal-Mart within 1 mile, should you have forgotten something. Chrysler Group HQ within 1/2 mile across the interstate; Pontiac Silverdome around the corner. Would HIGHLY recommend; will use again next visit to Auburn Hills.

• Stayed August 2004