“Absolutely Great Place”

Sonesta ES Suites Auburn Hills
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My granddaughter and I spent 2 wonderful days at this hotel. I was very impressed with the 2 bedroom suite we shared. It was beautiful, very clean, and very cozy. I've never had such a great bed to sleep in at any other hotel. My granddaughter loved the fitness room. We were offered chicken and dumplings or tacos for our evening meal which was almost as good as my mom's; even though they said they didn't have someone making it homemade. The kitchen facility was a perfect size. The 2 full size bathrooms were not only beautiful, but convienient to each bedroom. I loved the friendliness of the staff! I will never stay anywhere else when in the area.

Room Tip: Just tell the staff what you're looking for and you'll be pleasantly surprized: quite, sunny...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 15, 2012

I am 1 month in to a 7-8 month stay at this hotel and I have been very happy with it.
The breakfast and dinner have more choices than most hotels. They provided me with a keyed storage closet at no charge, so I do not have to store my luggage in the room. The workout facility and laundry are open 24 hours and the washers/dryers are free to use.
The only things I can see that need improvement are the internet speed is slow,(150kbps max) and the televisions are the old tube type with no HDMI inputs.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2012

We spent Valentine's weekend at this property for the second consecutive year. Despite a wonderful experience last February, we were even more impressed this time around.

We had a 1 bedroom suite, which was perfect for our needs. The full-sized fridge was handy for keeping leftovers/groceries cold. The room itself was spotless, and the king bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was tasty, and offered a variety of hot and cold items. The eating area was also very spacious compared to many hotels that offer a similar service.

The location is superb. Right off I-75, this hotel is about 5 minutes from the Palace (ideal for concerts and sporting events), and 10 minutes from Great Lakes Crossing (superb shopping).

We can't wait for our next stay!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cleared4takeoff
ChristinaKozub-DOS, Director of Sales at Sonesta ES Suites Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2012

Thank you so much for deciding to stay with us again! We are thrilled to hear that you had a special and enjoyable Valentine's Day!
It is wonderful that you found the room spacious and that the fully-equipped kitchen came in handy. We take great strides in providing a sizeable breakfast spread with foods that will satisfy all, and are glad that you can attest to that.
We look forward to taking care of you every Valentine's Day!!

Christina Kozub

Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have never written a review before but I felt this was necessary. I travel for work and am a Gold Priority Club member and will be Platinum soon, and I recently stayed in one of their two bed suites and at first it appeared to be well maintained. However, when I stepped into the shower late that evening, I noticed a partially used shampoo bottle provided by the hotel. I finished my shower, and noticed the smoke alarm making a strange noise. I went to a phone to contact the front desk to tell them about the issues, but the phone was dead. It was not unplugged, just dead. So I went to the next phone, and had to hold in the cord for it to work. I reported all of the issues to the front desk, and with an apology, I was on my way. I arrived from work the next afternoon, and looked inside the shower...There was the same bottle of shampoo that was left there by the previous tenant. Since I didn't sleep on the queen bed due to the smoke alarm noise, I went into my room and my bed had not been made. Now I'm not whining about my bed, but obviously no one paid attention. The phones were repaired, so I called back down stairs. They were again apologetic, and offered me another room. I declined, as all my stuff was already there and why would I risk another questionable room? The lady behind the front desk assured me that all would be taken care of. Again, I went on my way. The third day I arrived and stopped at the front desk to ask about my room. She said that the housekeeping manager assured her that the bottle was gone. I went to my room and yes, the bottle was gone, but there was no coffee, no soap, and my bed was not made. Again I called down and they were apologetic. One person behind the counter told me that they had gotten similar complaints before but the management refused to act accordingly. Today, the smoke alarm still makes noise, but they finally got the other things resolved…Unless they left my shampoo bottle for someone else.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank ut1seabee
ChristinaKozub-DOS, Director of Sales at Sonesta ES Suites Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Thank you for staying at our Staybridge Suites, and for taking the time to provide this review.
We are extremely dismayed that you did not receive the level of service and perfect condition of room that we work so hard to provide. There is no excuse for the shampoo to have been left in your shower, and your bed to not have been made. These things were obviously overlooked by a member of our Housekeeping staff. We have addressed the issue with ALL of our housekeepers and have made it clear that these types of oversights will not be tolerated.
Regarding your smoke alarm, we apologize for that inconvenience. Our smoke detectors are hard-wired, but also have battery backups. The detectors will make a noise when the batteries have aged. The fact that it was not attended to promptly is unacceptable and rest assured we have demanded increased attentiveness to these types of issues.
We are most upset by one of our staff members stating that management refuses to act accordingly to complaints. We pride ourselves on customer satisfaction, and our management team has high standards of what type of hotel we want to be. We are completely dumbfounded that this was said to you.
Again, we are so sorry for the difficulties with your stay. Please know that this is definitely not our standard level of service! We have faith that if we are lucky enough to have you as a guest in the future, you will experience a completely satisfying stay.

Very sincerely,

Christina Kozub (Director of Sales) & Jesse Royster (Operations Manager)

Reviewed November 29, 2011

This hotel CHARGES $1.00 for cookies that are GIVEN to its guests! That should have been the 1st indication this hotel was on the decline. The breakfast area is TINY, TINY, TINY. It is nothing but one giant cluster mess when guests at this LARGE hotel gather! Not nearly enough tables/chairs for the amount of guests either! Food fare was below standards for the other Staybridges we have stayed in. Who wants slices of POUND CAKE for b'fast? Yuk. Giant link sausages and dried out eggs, boiled eggs, bagels, toast, waffles. IF you are lucky enough to get near the food that is. Our 2nd morning we opted for McDonald's! Our room was dark and too much furniture crammed into it. Small kitchenette but no bar or chairs/table! One desk & outdated desk chair. The entertainment center was positioned to where you had to turn sideways to get to the back of the bed. NONE of the 3 lamps in the suite matched; different sizes, colors, styles. There was a real nightstand with HUGE lamp on it and the other "nightstand" was a tiny end table that barely fit between the bed and the wall. The bathroom was DARK, DARK, DARK and small. This is not one of the better Staybridge Suites & we won't return. Also, the duvet was so wrinkled and dirty looking that I would not even sit on it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank luvsf
ChristinaKozub-DOS, Director of Sales at Sonesta ES Suites Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel! We are very sorry that we are so delayed in this response, but we did not receive a timely alert of your review.
We are very disappointed in your experience at the hotel. Regarding charging for cookies at the Front Desk, we do not do this in order to make a profit for the hotel, but rather to raise money for our charity - GIVE KIDS THE WORLD. This is a wonderful charity that sends terminally-ill children and their families to a 70-acre storybook theme park in Orlando, FL, to enjoy a stress-free experience to brighten their life.
Our breakfast area can definitely get congested at times on busy weekends, but I assure you we have the same amount of space as most Staybridge Suites. We are sorry that the food selection did not appeal to you, and we will look into extra offerings, but we do offer the same things as all Staybridges, as it is company policy.
In regards to our rooms, we feel terrible that you were unhappy with them. We are usually known for our spacious rooms, as our rooms are the same size and set-up as most other Staybridges. Our lamps are also ordered from the same place as all corporate Staybridges, and may not all be the same as they are "decorative" lamps, but they are sets.
It is unsettling that the duvet was "wrinkled and dirty", as the "dirtiness" issue is unacceptable to us. We wish that you would have alerted the Front Desk about it, so we could have addressed the situation and made you comfortable. Most of our Studio Suites, which you stayed in, have been updated and have new duvets that do not wrinkle, but unfortunately some room still have our older duvets that can wrinkle when left in the dryer too long.
Again, we are so sorry that you were not happy with your experience with us, but hope that we may have the opportunity to provide you with a more comfortable stay in the future.

Christina Kozub (Director of Sales) & Jesse Royster (Operations Manager)

Reviewed October 12, 2011

For 3 or more women this was the perfect place to stay. 2 bedrooms, one with 2 double beds one with a queen, and 2 bathrooms! Full kitchen, living area, very clean. Would stay again next time in area. The beds were all very comfortable, good nights sleep. DVD players included with tv in living area. The only downside is the morning breakfast was fairly limited in choices, compared to other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelinglady60
ChristinaKozub-DOS, Director of Sales at Sonesta ES Suites Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2011

Thank you so much for being our guest here at the Staybridge Suites - Auburn Hills, and for taking the time to share your experience! We are happy to hear that our 2-bedroom/2-bathroom suite accommodated you ladies nicely on your fun evening. We work hard to make sure that our property is clean and comfortable, and am glad that you felt that we have done a good job of that. In regards to breakfast, I am so sorry that you felt their were limited options. The Staybridge Suites brand prides themselves on a good assortment of offerings for our breakfast, but we will definitely look into why it would not have been this way on your visit. Hopefully, we are fortunate enough to serve you on your next visit to the area, and that our breakfast choices will be more pleasing to you the next morning. : -)

Reviewed October 10, 2011

Friendly staff. Studio suite had plenty of room for my wife and I. Comfortable bed. Appreciated that fan was in different corner of the room so that it did not blow directly at bed. Loose handle in shower, but no big deal. The water was extremely hot which felt great. But it would be a danger to unsuspecting children. Breakfast was good. Well lit parking. Close to Silver Dome which was the destination for our trip. Also across from Chysler HQ which was an interesting landmark. Hotel is 3 stories, but elevator made our room on the second floor easily accessible. I only saw one small place to eat that was within walking distance. We opted to drive the 5 or 6 miles where more choices existed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
ChristinaKozub-DOS, Director of Sales at Sonesta ES Suites Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2011

Thank you so much for choosing the Staybridge Suites - Auburn Hills while in town attending your event! We appreciate your business and your time in writing the review of the hotel. We are glad that you and your wife were content with everything in your room and with the hotel itself, and apologize for the loose shower handle. In regards to restaurants, there are two places within walking distance, but hope that the Front Desk was able to direct you to something more to your liking. About 2 miles away, on University Drive, there are many options to choose from, so you may find something in that area on your next visit. And we hope that on your next visit we are lucky enough to have you as our guest again!

Christina Kozub