“Don't stay here if long term tenants!”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Auburn Hills
Corydon, Indiana
“Don't stay here if long term tenants!”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here from March to August and we had nothing but problems with our room and services. Our room was nice and clean but we consistently had problems with the front desk staff. We were continually told one thing by one staff member then told a different policy by another. This meant we had to jump through hoop after hoop to get a straight answer about something. Also the wireless internet is horrible which made it extremely difficult to keep in contact with our family and friends back home in Indiana. If you're staying here for just a week or so this place is great, but anything longer than that we would recommend looking elsewhere for lodging.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Elise S
Manager_11525, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am sorry to hear that our internet service and front desk staff did not meet your expectations. In response to your feedback, I am working on upgrading our internet service and making sure all front desk agents are properly trained on all policies and procedures. Our team is committed to satisfying our guests, so we are very thankful for your feedback. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed April 14, 2013

In general the room was clean and spacious, the bed was comfy, but the blankets quite thin.
The refrigerator was starting at least once an hour, which was extremely loud, so you woke up out of your sleep.
My room was not so near to a wireless repeater. The internet access was unstable and speed didn’t really exist.
The dishes and forks weren't cleaned properly. For a kitchen, there should be some basics, like salt/pepper/oil to cook or detergent to wash the dishes.
Energy efficiency??? The shower had only one control. Waste of water and costs!!!! There should be one for temperature and one for the amount of water.
I asked the staff for an additional blanket; since I didn't want to have the heating creates additional noise during the night. There answer was: I should buy one in a local store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We appreciate the kind comments about the cleanliness and spaciousness of the rooms as well as your remarks on how comfy the beds are. However, I am sorry to hear that your blankets were thin. We do have extra blankets that can be given to guests at their request. I am sorry that this was not communicated to you properly. As well, I am also sorry to hear that the fridge was loud, dishes were not clean, and the wireless internet was not working properly. I do sincerely apologize for these issues and take them very seriously. To ensure that a situation like yours does not happen again, my team will provide clarification on the amenities we have during the check in process and provide better customer service in regards to guests requests. Also I will speak with upper management regarding the wireless internet service.

Thank you very much for providing us with your feedback. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at auh@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Reviewed March 23, 2013

When I first walked into my room it was very cold. The heat was turned off completely. It took hours to get the room comfortable to sleep in. The bathroom was in need of some repairs. There was broken tile and the shower heat was leaking at the base. The shower surround was in need of a recaulking too. In my opinion the hotel could use some TLC all over. Carpet was bleached in a few spots and the walls were beat up. The room I stayed in you could actually see an extension cord under the carpet. Not the worst place I have stayed in but not the best for what I payed.

• Stayed March 2013
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to publish a review of your stay with us. I want to apologize for the issues you experienced. I am so sorry to hear it was cold in your room upon arrival. That is definitely not our practice as we want our guests to be comfortable especially in the colder months in Michigan. I was disappointed to hear of the bathroom issues with the shower head, tile, etc. As a result of your review, I am working with our maintenance staff to ensure these deficiences are handled immediately. Thank you again for staying with us. I do hope you will give us another try on your next visit to Auburn Hills.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed staying at this hotel it was very clean and nice, and staff was friendly. The only problems I had was my extra blanket they gave me had hair all over it, but the staff quickly apologized and gave me another one, and the shower head was broken in the shower instead of spraying it poured out. Other than those two minor problems I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel

• Stayed March 2013
RDO_Sarah_L, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay. It's always satisfying to read positive feedback from our valued guests, like you. Although some companies run extravagant advertising campaigns for their hotels, we believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. Our company motto is ""Excellence Every Day, Every Way,"" and my promise to you is that we will continue to operate according to this practice; after all, that's how Extended Stay Hotels(sm) got to be the largest extended stay lodging brand in North America.
Again, thank you very much for the positive review and feedback that you provided. I do apologize regarding the blanket and shower head. I am glad my hotel staff provided you with another blanket upon your request and handled the situation in a timely and professional matter. The shower head has been fixed due to your feedback in the matter.
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Overall the hotel was outdated. The stay wasn't too bad, but the customer service is what made the experience so bad. When I checked in, it was almost an inconvenience. The person at the front desk just took there time as slowly as possible. In the morning I went to use the blow dryer and it was broken. I checked the outlet and it was fine, it was definitely the blow dryer itself. I called the front desk and they pretty much told me they didn't have any alternatives for me...no spares or any other options. I demanded that they find one for me or let me in another room. Finally after a 1/2 hour and already late for work, they gave me a different room to go in just to blow dry my hair. What an awful customer service experience. That should have been the first option! Especially after I stated I needed something right away so I could get to work. Well that didn't happen...I was definitely late for work thanks to the lack of customer service. I'll never stay there again just because of that.

Room Tip: Stay at the Marriot
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, February 13, 2013

Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Warm and cozy - clean rooms with Wireless access. Full fridge and 2 burner stove. Dishes, pots/pans and eating utensiles are provided. Very nice laundry room with a TV, tables to fold clothes and multple washing machines and dryers. Nice bathroom, HOT water showers! Near by Restaurants, Whole Foods, YMCA, walking and running trails. Upper scale shops - Talbots, Coach, Clarks, Coldwater Creek, etc. Close to outlet mall, Oakland Mall, and Someset Mall! Just a stones throw away from Meadowbrook (music/arts), The Palace (music events, home of the Pistons and other events), and DTE (outdoor theater). I guess you can tell my love is music, sports, eating and working out. Everything I love was here. I am working on a project in a nearby town for the next 6 months. It has become my home away from home! Give it a try..you will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: I always ask for the second floor because that is where the laundry room is located.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, February 4, 2013

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed December 16, 2012

This is by far one of the cheapest places to stay in Auburn Hills for an extended stay. Don't expect to receive better service and quality than what you're paying for, however. Even though the reservation touted wireless access in every room, it wasn't until I was in my third room on the second floor that I consistently got signal in my room, even at times of slow traffic. The first room had no signal, and the second room got signal only right at the door. It's a good thing for me they were doing a (much needed) "deep cleaning" and were willing to move me around, I spent a week fighting them with almost no willingness to help except to give me the tech support number, which can do nothing to fix the fact that the wireless access points don't have enough range to reach the end of the building.

Aside from poor wireless, the fact that I had at least 3 or 4 mornings over the course of a 2 month stay with *no hot water* is hardly acceptable. It wasn't just a broken pipe or anything like that, the occurrences happened randomly over the second month of my stay.

The toilet lids don't stay up. The plastic piece that went over the light fixture in the bathroom came crashing off until it couldn't be put back on. One of the burners didn't work (I caught the maintenance guy in the hall and he fixed it almost immediately). The bed in the first room I was in was wobbly, the last room I stayed in, the bed was fine. The cleaning service was inconsistent and I had to go down to the front desk to reschedule it frequently, because it wasn't scheduled automatically (should have been weekly). Kitchen utensils were pretty spare, not a full set in all rooms.

The front desk service was a mixed bag. Some were friendly but not particularly competent. Some were professional and competent. Some were not friendly or competent. The people who have been there long enough to know how to get things done are alright but it seems that they train new employees to refer to the "manager" who is almost never available, and to tell guests that they're unable to do or change anything (I did overhear this sort of training).

Hallways aren't particularly clean. Room size is fine, TVs are poor quality and don't have Fox Sports Detroit which carries local sporting events. The elevator had a damaged sensor for a month before it got fixed (at least I think it did, I started taking the stairs). Laundry is $4 a load.

The better (king sized) rooms seem to be in decent shape as long as you get wireless signal, staying for a week, possibly two might not be too unenjoyable. For those looking at a month or longer stay, I might recommend you either stop by beforehand for a look or look at some of the places on Opdyke that might be a little bit nicer.

Room Tip: Wireless reception is better closer to the center of the buildings.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Auburn Hills - University Drive, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
I wanted to take the time to personally respond to your review. You mentioned several unfortunate situations and occurences that I want to make sure I address. I apologize that you were inconvenienced during our deep cleaning project. I can only imagine how unsettling that would be and I am sorry for that. Unfortunately in order to get into every room and do the proper cleaning, repairs necessary we needed the rooms to be unoccupied. We are aware of the issues with our wireless service. As a company, we are in the process of upgrading our hotels to ensure this is no longer an issue. As for the maintenance issues you experienced such as no hot water, toilet seats that would stay up, broken light fixtures, etc there is no reason those should have occured. I have spoken with management and staff to ensure these issues are immediately addressed and will not be repeated. Our television channel lineup is also something we are addressing as a compnay. As far as our guest service, I am disappointed to hear every single staff member didn't go above and beyond. We strive to provide exceptional guest service and we failed here. I am truly sorry for that. I appreciate you bringing all of your concerns to our attention. We appreciate your business. I do hope you will give Extended Stay Hotels another try on your next trip.