“Pleasant One Night Stay”

Cobblestone Manor Luxury Historic Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Auburn Hills B&B and Inns
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Pleasant One Night Stay”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I decided to book this stay for one night as a birthday gift for my boyfriend. The landscaping and atmosphere as you pull up are beautiful. I was extremely happy I made the decision to stay here as soon as I parked. I feel it important to note that I was late checking in, but called to let the inn keepers know I was in traffic. I was greeted with nothing but kindness and appreciation that I informed them of my projected tardiness. Paul was awesome! When I checked in, he so graciously offered my an upgrade and showed me around the house. He was nothing but kind and I truly felt like a friend of the family within the first 10 minutes that I was there. I was put in the Meadowlark Suite. The room was beautiful and upgraded in all the right places, the bathroom was sleek and stylish yet still decorated to follow the theme of the room and home. The bed was awesome and OH SO comfortable! I decided to do the Dinner Special and loved Alfoccino's as much as the Manor. My partner was impressed as soon as we pulled up (it was a surprise to him) and loved all aspects of the stay, especially the breakfast in the morning and the hot tub! DELICIOUS! After breakfast, Paul showed us some photos of when the Inn was renovated and we were able to explore and experience some of the history within the walls. Great experience, awesome place to go with you Loved one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Blaire T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Clinton Township, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Paul and Heather REALLY know how to run a B & B! Everything was completely perfect! This place is great and I would definitely recommend staying here. Clean, pristine, quiet, beautifully decorated inside, and out. Can't say enough. It was a wonderful birthday present from my husband. We bought the package, which included a lovely dinner at Alfoccino restaurant. They also severed an incredibly delicious breakfast in the morning. I would surely stay there again sometime! Thanks again to our hosts Paul and Heather!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed May 28, 2012

While sitting at breakfast, with a couple celebrating their 20th anniversary and a couple who were married just the day before, it struck me that I was probably not the 'usual' visitor to the Cobblestone Manor as I was there as a business traveler. Not that I traveled that far on business, but I certainly was not there for a romantic night away with my sweetie. Which is also why I probably noticed things that other visitors might have been otherwise distracted from noticing.

For those readers that want a quick evaluation, I can give you it in three little words. Go. Stay. Enjoy. It really is wonderful house, the breakfast is delicious, and the rooms are very nicely furnished. You feel both included and left to on your own at the same time. Oh, and the whirlpool bathtubs ...heavenly. If you choose to read on, you will see that I have a few negative comments, as well as many positive ones - but over all I am happy that I finally booked a night. So, once again. Go. Stay. Enjoy.

Now for some (possibly excessive) details, my internet connection was down and I had a international video conference call that I could not miss. So, I went on Trip Advisor to find a hotel room in the area, and Cobblestone Manor was top of the list. I had driven past it on many occasions and had always wanted to stay, but never had taken the opportunity until now. When making my reservation, I inquired on the strength of the internet connection and I was told that it was a cable broadband internet connection - which I thought would be more than strong enough, since I only have a DSL connection at home. I received my check-in time, and also found out that I would receive a discount as I was booking the room within 24 hours of my visit. Yeah! Okay, there was a moment that I have to mention, I was rather harshly informed that I needed to be there exactly at my appointed check-in time as the owners would be out of town and that they had someone filling in for them. I understand, but the way the information was communicated was a bit abrasive and caused a off note that was very unexpected considering the high praise I had read on Trip Advisor.

So I arrive (on time ;) and was very impressed with both the parking arrangements and lush cottage garden feeling of the landscaping. It impressed me that it must be extremely difficult to modify what was once a family home into a business with ten guest rooms. You need a parking lot and, yet, you don't want it to detract from the landscaping or house. I was checked in, given my room key to the Morning Dove room, gave my preference for a breakfast time, and given the basic layout of the house. Since another guest arrived hot on my heels (they were early, they must have been given the same warning I received ;) it was through, but quick. I didn't learn about the architecture of the house until the following morning when talking to one of the other guests.

Checked that I was able to connect to the internet, I was able to take a relaxing bath before it was time to log-on for the conference call. While I was relaxing undistracted in the bath, I noticed several things. The bathroom is very well appointed, and especially like the crimson red tiles patterned in with the white on the floor. The matching towels and numerous little touches that you would not find in a hotel. The extra roll of toilet paper in an embroidered linen sleeve. The crocheted and beaded doilies draped over the water glasses. All lovely and romantic. The extremely frayed bath mat, poorly patched tile along the back edge of the tub and severally chipped and cracked shade on the sconce (right hand side when you are looking at the mirror) was frankly shocking to find in a room listed twenty dollars shy of $200 a night.

It's really about the details, the four poster bed is beautiful ...but what is with the dated TV/VCR/DVD set up? And the internet connection ...wavered between poor and medium for the entire call, so I wasn't surprised when one of the other guest told me that he wasn't able to log on at all in their room. I love the gas fireplace that ignites with the flip of a switch, and the working wooden louver window shade. I am even okay with the window unit air conditioner because it cools the room and is quiet...but, a large flat screen TV, video on demand, and a really good internet connection are pretty much standard in even the most basic hotels. Of course you don't get a delicious breakfast of french toast, sausage links and fruit. Or home baked cookies ...or such a lovely environment, no matter it's technological deficiencies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT have the whirlpool bathtub in the room. They are the smaller rooms in t...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Christine1013_MI
Oakland,MI
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Decided a the last minute to get away not far from home. Paul and Heather were wonderful by being accommodating but not intrusive. Such gracious hosts along with Joe Cocker the Spaniel! I stayed in the Presidential Room which was beyond my expectations in terms of amenities,warmth and comfort. The view of the gardens was beautiful from this room and the breakfasts' were outstanding. This was my first stay and I will definitely be back; this time with my husband! TDWMD

Room Tip: The Presidential Room has a great sitting area by the fireplace with an interesting variety of books...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Teresa W
New Baltimore, Michigan
Reviewed March 24, 2012

the attention to detail is impeccable. we were greeted by smiling faces and informative owners. our room had everything that we needed and more. the home is beautiful and very relaxing. the breakfast was FANTASTIC...... thank you Heather and Paul for helping us have a fabulous 10 yr wedding annivrsary.... we will be back

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Detroit
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting Cobblestone for 7 years. Each room is so beautiful and comfortable. The breakfast is unbelievable - piles of fresh fruit, delicious meats and french toasts or pancakes made in a new, fabulous way every time. Heather and Paul, the owners, make us feel so relaxed and welcome. We look forward to our times there. Perfect for a couple wanting to slip away for a night or a weekend. We tell all our friends that they won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Blanc MI
Reviewed January 20, 2012

This wasn't the best overall experience and it may have started because of using the $50.00 last minute special discount. Heather may be great with the other guest, but we did not feel the warm welcome described by others. In fact, I was scolded at breakfast for not returning the syrup container on its plate when passing the container to my husband. I still enjoyed the delicious breakfast of apple pancakes, generous portion of fruit, and diet coke that cost a dollar. (Juice, coffee, and tea are no additional fees.)

Our room (Morning Dove) was small, even the Meadowlark suite within the house seemed much smaller than it looks online. The room had beautiful furniture, was very clean, but the 19" television was disappointing in what is considered a "luxury" Inn. The bed is high off the ground, but included step stools on each side. I kept thinking they may slip on the hardwood floor when I stepped up to get in bed.
The bathroom shower was within the tub and very high to step into. I would not recommend it for those who get dizzy easy. Being 5" 1" both the bed and the bath took time to get in, especially since there were no hand rails in the bathroom. I have never had this be an issue before, but it is just a tight space where the shower is located.
The player piano sets a relaxing atmosphere; it just played for hours and hours, and could be heard loud because of my room location, which was directly at the top of the stairs to the right. I was happy when it finally was turned off for the night to have some quiet time.

The Meadowlark room has a larger flat screen television. Even though that is not a main feature of any room, it sure is nice to have a decent size one, especially with the video library available to the guest. The VHS feature on the website needs to be updated because they have DVD players.

Room Tip: Some rooms are located in the walk-out basement level. Four are upstairs. The Morning Dove is at the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple