“Pretty good near U of M”

Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor
Ranked #22 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Lansing, MI
“Pretty good near U of M”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Candlewood Suites is an older brand in the Holiday Inn line. This hotel was fine. It was not new and luxurious, but it was a clean, safe, place to stay. Candlewood Suites have stoves, fridges and microwaves. All of these were operational and would easily accommodate an extended stay. There are comments about not housekeeping and this is true and also a reason why these suites are more reasonable for extended stays than a standard hotel. I really don't like anyone in my room after I've settled in a few days, so I'm A-OK with that. There are a lot of restaurants and shops very near to the hotel and also very near to downtown Ann Arrbor. I was there on restaurant so the downtown area was packed with visitors even during the week. Also not far from the hospital or the arboretum. I make use of the candlewood cupboard to get "on your honor" late night snacks and drinks. The work out area is clean, and if I were there for longer I'd not hesitate to use the clean laundry facilities. I was allowed an early check in which I very much appreciated!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Troy, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I got in fairly late and liked their system of a lock box: enter digits of your last name in order to access your key card which allows you access to the hotel and your room.
Very nice kitchenette with microwave, fridge, etc. Nice, large bathroom. Comfy bed.
Only thing I disliked was that the lighting in the parking lot wasn't great. As a young woman travelling alone, the parking lot wasn't particularly inviting.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jessica P
northern Michigan
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We spent one night there and it was our first time at this chain. It operates more like an extended stay with kitchenettes in each room so we had a studio. The bathroom was particularly nicely appointed as was the rest of the room. We were happy to see the TV was HD which is unusual in typical chain hotels. The bed, however, was pretty uncomfortable so we tossed and turned all night. There was also a lot of noise above us so I called the front desk at 10:15 pm and they took care of it. Instead of the usual boring breakfast, they offer items to purchase so we skipped it and happily went across the street to Whole Foods and had delicious scones and coffee.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank trevian8
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear trevian8,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. I understand that having a good night sleep is important and it sounds like we fell below your expectations. I am sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the bed. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Dayton OH
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed in a one bedroom suite for five weeks to help our daughter and son-in-law take care of their newborn son. We were very comfortable and found the staff very accommodating. The rooms had just been updated (we were there when all the new flat screen TVs, one each in the living room and bedroom, were installed) and the look belied the low cost (we paid under $80 per night due to our long stay). I am very sensitive to noise and loved the fact that the suite is a real suite, with the bed in a separate room with a door, and excellent soundproofing. In most hotels I can't stand the noise of the heater/AC unit rumbling as it goes on and off; here the unit is in the living room, is fairly quiet anyway, and there is a duct to the bedroom such that very little noise can be heard from the unit. Furthermore, there are great room-darkening window treatments so its easy to sleep late.
The exercise room is small (two treadmills, two bikes, free weights, and a single multi-purpose cable-based weight station. Adjacent to this are the free washers and dryers - a great help during a long stay.
The location is great; it is adjacent to a small strip mall with nice casual restaurants and across the street from a Whole Foods Market.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2012

So this is a review for those of you who must travel to ann arbor to visit the university and don't have a car. I stayed at four different suite-hotels in the area. Candlewood is the best by far. It is attractive, clean and very convenient. Easy to catch a bus (#7) that takes you straight downtown. Much better than the alternatives

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was our third stay here, and most likely the last. They did upgrade the facillities - new TVs (OK, now update the channels in the book), new kitchen stove and sink (very modern - need instrucrions), new furnishings. That's it. Now, get a staff that (a) knows how things work, and (b) actually cares enough to respond. Front desk staff rarely there (busy elsewhere?) and we had to call. Numerous problems - toilet kept running (was doing so when we arrived - I fixed that). Sink leaked out of cabinet onto floor - never fixed. Phone message system - didn't work, we could not retrieve 3 calls until 48 hours later. Weekend staff guy didn't know the system, kept telling us how to delete calls despite the fact that I said I wanted to LISTEN to them, not delete them. Then told us how to reset phone. That also did not work. Then told us to wait until Monday (same deal with sink leak). No one responsible to fix ANYTHING on the weekend? Ann Arbor is a hard place to find a decent, reasonably priced hotel in the fall (we always try non-football weekends). We'll keep looking...

Room Tip: Avoid room 129 as it has the loudest refrigerator in the world.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Before I begin this review I urge you to read any of my other reviews to assure you I am not someone that complains about the littlest things. With that said...

My wife and I stayed the weekend at this hotel for parents' weekend at the University of Michigan. On football weekends in Ann Arbor rooms are at a premium and one should expect to pay the price, which we did. With a quick search the standard nightly weekend price for our room is $99, and about $85 if paid in advance. To give you an idea of football weekend inflation, I paid $455 for 2 nights at this hotel. I don't mind paying this price for a quality room; however, this fell under the "anything but quality" category.

As you approach the entrance, the first thing noticeable is the location of the outdoor ashtrays. State law forbids smoking within 25 feet of a doorway. These ashtrays were less than 10 feet on either side of the entrance, thus putting smokers literally on the doorstep to the hotel. Check-in was acceptable, albeit slow. Our room was clean and appropriately furnished, but with an undersized queen bed. To my knowledge, king beds are not an option at this hotel. Three very small pillows were provided, not much larger than a throw pillow for a couch. When I requested more at the front desk I was given what I asked for, so they ARE available if you ask.

We were not expecting to return to the room on day one after our first night's stay to discover that there is no room cleaning for "short-term" customers. No clean sheets, no bed made, no clean towels, no coffee refill, absolutely nothing. On the back of the key card envelope is a brief explanation of this policy, but we were not informed verbally. If you want cleans towels you need to take the old ones to the front desk to exchange them. Forget about your room being cleaned.

Keep in mind this room cost $455 for TWO nights. A basic continental breakfast, which is standard in most hotels today for much less money, is not provded.

Noise is another issue. The walls and doors are very thin, allowing you to hear every door slam (ours would rattle every time another door in the hall slammed shut), your neighbor's tv and plenty of conversations in the general vicinity of your room.

To sum this review up, I will not stay at another Candlewood Suites, and I would recommend looking elsewhere to anyone considering staying here.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank topfan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear topfan,

Thanks for your review and staying with us. I am sorry to hear you were not happy with our hotel.We are an extended stay hotel, and we do only offer housekeeping weekly.However if you need it daily, that can be arranged for a nominal fee.

While we do not offer a free breakfast we do have the Candlewood cupboard where you can purchase something to cook up in your kitchenette.

I understand that this concept might not work so well for some. However most of our guests are long term and it works out quite well for others.

Irish V.