Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor
Hampton.com
$149
$127
Sheraton.com
Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites(Ann Arbor)(Great Value!)
$119
$75
$189
$167
  • Restaurant
Bell Tower Hotel(Ann Arbor)
$208
$202
Orbitz.com
All reviewswhole foodshonor systemwashers and dryersan extended stayfree laundry facilitiesone bedroom suitefront deskfree coffeeparking lotbig housebriarwood mallcomfortable bedbusiness travelerhot watercleaning staffconvenient locationfitness center
Reviewed November 15, 2010

For $65.00/night, my expectations were pretty low. I was very, very pleasantly surprised with my stay at Candlewood. Check -in was effortless. Staff was very friendly- even asking which floor I would prefer to have my room.

The room itself was very, very clean and nicely appointed. The refrigerator was a great amenity, and was immaculately clean. The bed had feather pillows and clean, contemporary linens. I was on the third floor, and it was nice to be able to open the window for fresh air. The wireless internet , armchair recliner, and contemporary desk/office set up was very nice.

Overall, I felt very at home and was happily surprised. It's definitely a perfect place to stay for short trips/overnights. Close to freeway, shopping and downtown Ann Arbor. Very comfortable, and for a single traveler, I felt very safe.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I travel a lot, and this was easily the worst hotel stay I've had in many years. It wasn't just one thing, it was several things that added up:
1) Although the entire hotel is supposedly non-smoking, my room (in fact the entire hotel wing) smelled like an ashtray. The cigarette smoke permeated everything -- the bedspreads, the curtains, the carpeting. I opened the window to try to air out the room, but to no avail. Made the entire room feel filthy.
2) The curtains are attached to the curtain rods with sharp pins. I found out the hard way when opening the curtains in the morning. Very dangerous.
3) There are no ice machines in the hotel. There are refrigerators in each room with ice makers, but there was no ice in the ice makers, either.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank aqualoaf
Reviewed July 19, 2010

I just spent 2 weeks at the Candlewood Ann Arbor. I've always been kind of leery about trying Candlewood Suites because they are usually so inexpensive but I decided to finally beak down and try one. Wow....I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. ...! I've stayed in pretty much every other extended stay brand hotel and this one easily ranked up there as one of my favorites, especially for the price.

My room was a 2 twin bed suite. I'd never seen twin (aka single) beds in a hotel before so automatically assumed twin meant double...ooops...so it was quite a shock to see these 2 tiny beds in my room. I could have gotten a different room but it would have been $10 a night more so my wife and I pulled a Lucy and Ricky Ricardo and slept in separate beds. The beds were really small, almost like a child's bed and I barely fit, in fact my feet hung off the end and it's not like I'm a giant I'm 6'1. Beyond the size of the bed I didn't care for the mattress either. Others here have raved about the mattresses but they just weren't my cup of tea, too springy for my taste.

The beds we really the only negative though. MY room was very clean, the housekeepers really do an excellent job here and I'm picky when it comes to room cleanliness. My blanket had some spaghetti sauce stains but other then that everything else was quite clean, especially for an extended stay. From my experience extended stay type hotels usually are not as clean as normal hotels since the rooms get cleaned more often. You only get housekeeping once a week in extended stays.

The furnishings in the room were a little old and worn but everything worked well. My room had a dvd player, fridge, microwave, dishwasher, (2) burner cooktop, kitchen utensils and wired high speed Internet. The Internet worked quite well for my entire stay and at a little over 1mbps the speeds were acceptable, in fact they were better then I expected for the price of the hotel.

The hotel has a lot of nice amenities like FREE laundry, just keep in mind the laundry room gets super busy so you might need to get up very early to do it. Also they have a decent fitness center and a pantry with soda's and snacks that is based on the honor system which was convenient.

The hotel was busy and the parking lot was pretty much full every day I was there but I really never heard a peep from anyone, my stay was quiet and uneventful.

I loved the location and there is a Whole Foods just across the street which was a big plus..!

All in all I really enjoyed my stay and the price was unbeatable. From now on I'll be staying in Candlewoods any time I run across them in my travels.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 16, 2010

this was everything I'd expect from a Candlewood. room was nice and clean and comfortable. Hotel was very quiet.
Work out room appeared that everything was operational.
Front desk staff nice and friendly at check in and check out.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2010

My non-smoking room reeked of cigarette smoke the entire time I was there; when I got home I had to wash all of my clothing, even the items I hadn't worn, to get rid of the stench!

If it hadn't been for the stink, I would have liked the place. Comfortable bed, good location (on 2 bus routes, near a Panera and Whole Foods), the kitchenette even had a dishwasher. The walls are thin (could hear the neighbor's tv), but it would have been all right if not for the smoke.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo