Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Excellent Staff”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed here one night on February 21, 2013. They have a program with the University of Michigan Hospital where they provide significantly reduced rates where family members of patients have a rate of $29.99 a night. They are within 5 miles of the hospital and the rooms are more than adequate. They were clean and provided a full kitchen for those who would stay for any extended period. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The room did not have a hairdryer but when we asked we promptly received a new one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority. I am glad to hear that you found our staff helpful. We strive to provide a home away from home atmosphere for all our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed February 25, 2013

first room was dirty! urine stains on the toilet seat, dirt at the entrance, once I opened the door, needed dusting, dirty kitchen, hair on the fitted sheets....
second room was a little better. still needed dusting, stains on wall and carpet, dirty recliner..
staff was polite for the most part. i called to ask about their breakfast and the lady who answered the phone was kind of rude and short with her answers. Decided to go to a nearby store to buy my own breakfast instead. It had snowed during my stay and they did not bother to shovel the entrance.
They have wi-fi available, but on the card that is left on the table to the room it never states what wireless network connection to choose, i still had to call tech support to assist! I did make a comment to him about the informatio on their cards.
Last, I was never informed about what was available at their facility.....laundry, fitness equipment, etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank strajed
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, February 28, 2013

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed January 26, 2013

So friendly .... each time I went down and had questions, (and I had many) she took the time to answer each. Very nice lady and very funny. Showed me a few rooms too when I asked about upgrading. Once I had a question she suggested I get the answer from the Hotel Manager Erica. She also was great and took the time I needed to make sure I got a detailed answer. The daytime staff are great too! Like the little kitchen, and the convenient location. I would stay here again. ... and you can use the LA Fitness too just for staying here.

Room Tip: Choose a room that you can look out and see the mall!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Karl911S
RDO_Sarah_L, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for your kind words about your staff in Ann Arbor. I am so happy to hear you had a great stay with us and received such great service. We strive to provide exceptional guest experiences so it's always rewarding to receive feedback like yours. Thank you again for staying with us.
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I enjoyed my experience at Extended Stay by Briarwood Mall. The builiding was clean and quiet and the staff was extemely helpful and pleasant. The staff did an excellent job with accomendating me durining my stay. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends and relatives.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank A B
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you very much for your recent review. I was thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and the staff took great care of you. We appreciate your business and look forward to having you back soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I've recently moved back to Ann Arbor, and I haven't found the home I've wanted yet. I've been staying at the Extended Stay America - Ann Arbor for the past few months and I'm happy to call this home. The friendly staff really make a difference and the mini kitchen is great for cooking!

Room Tip: If you stay on the first floor, I like to be on the inside of the hotel facing the back parking lot...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Catherine Z
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are happy to have you as our guest. It's wonderful to hear you are feeling at home with us. We want all of our guests to feel like our hotel is a home away from home. Sounds like our fully equipped kitchen is working out too! Thank you again for your business.
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here while my husband had surgery and follow up care. However, I had to switch hotels because of the lack of cleanliness and unsanitary conditions.

There was crusted food in the microwave. The bedding (besides the sheets) was dirty and oily, with a disgusting odor. The bathtub slimey...

When I saw a cockroach by the garbage piled up in the stairway, it was time to go. The stairways overflow with garbage on the weekends, when no one is there to take it out. After seeing open garbage as well as smelling the stench in there for 2 weekends in a row, I notified the staff, who told me no one takes the garbage out on weekends and that there were not enough cans. After seeing the cockroaches, I wondered if the garbage strewn about was going to attract rats and left afraid I was going to contaminate my husband post-surgery if I picked up some type of bacteria from the unsanitary conditions.

It's trivial that the front desk staff are friendly-they can't do anything about the problems here. I'd rather have unfriendly staff, but a clean room and hotel. I transferred to a hotel down the street, for just $10 more a night, but the new place was clean and the rooms were much nicer. I cannot believe how cleanliness is disregarded here and am suspicious of any positive reviews. Beware.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Emma5454
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology. Please understand that we maintain strict quality control standards, which demand that every room is inspected prior to making it available to our guests. Clearly there was a failure in our system during your stay. In response to your comments, I’ve personally met with all of our staff and used your review to demonstrate in which specific areas we can improve. The situation you experienced with the trash containers in the stairwells was unacceptable and I can assure you not the norm. I completely understand your misgivings considering your husband's surgery. I am truly sorry you had this experience at our hotel. It was unfortunate and completely insupportable. Again I appreciate you sharing it with us as it only helps us improve. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any further questions or concerns.
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending the last two years on assignment in Ann Arbor. My "home" during this time was the Extended Stay at Briarwood Mall. The staff at this facility went out of their way to make me feel comfortable. The staff that cleaned my room (Teresa) did a great job every week and if I had any maintenance concerns Denis would take care of them promptly. The Front Desk staff was always friendly and helpful. I would like to specifically call out Sarah Humphreys for her attention to detail and caring attitude. This goes for Miss Judy, our overnight desk person, as well. When they weren't working, I could always rely on Anthony to get me what I needed. I have stayed in many place in my business travels-none as friendly and warm as this! Thank You!

Room Tip: Pick a first floor room away from the highway. Very quiet and you get morning sun!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your glowing review. It was very rewarding to read your comments about our staff. We work very hard to maintain a home away from home for our guests so I appreciate you sharing your feedback. I am so happy to hear you were taken care of and felt comfortable during your stay. We really appreciate your business; thank you for staying with us.