“You (Don't) Get What You Pay For!”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“You (Don't) Get What You Pay For!”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I am no stranger to Extended Stay America. During my course of nationwide travels, I have stayed in well over a dozen for stays ranging from a night to a month at a time. I feel I am qualified to make an accurate review for this particular property both as a guest of many similar hotels and as somebody with extensive management experience (though not of hotels).

The check-in was fairly easy and typical. I was given a room key and proceeded to the room. It was nice to find the batteries missing from the remote control, horrible stains on the carpet, and some things just plain missing... like one of the drawers in the kitchenette. This property was apparently built around 1997 and anyone would expect a 15 year old building to have wear. But it seems like the repair is nonexistent around there. I take that back. On my way to my room, I saw a sign posted to the door indicating that there was going to be work performed on the water heater the following day but that the repairs would be done in the late afternoon and there should be no service impact. The front desk never told me, but since there was not supposed to be an impact, I didn't think anything of it. I was starting a new job the following morning and got some sleep. When I woke up, I turned the hot water knob on the shower and all I could hear were pipes banging and air puffing out. I guess the work scheduled for that afternoon came a little earlier, and conveniently on a busy workday morning. Whoever gave authorization to disable that unit at that time should be reprimanded, unless it was a serious safety issue. The hotel staff had absolutely NO communication with the guests about what had happened and when service would be restored. Later on in the day when I returned from work, I noticed a strong odor in the building and went to my room to find no water whatsoever, cold or hot. And of course, there went the ability for anybody to flush their toilet. And it was comforting knowing that while this work was going on in a mechanical room with electrical mains and gas lines being altered, the fire sprinkler system was likely completely disabled due to the failure of the water supply.

After a long day at work, I returned back to the hotel to turn on the TV and unwind. But the only thing I could watch was a scrolling message that said something about the satellite losing link... on every single channel.

Without any TV, I turned to my computer to browse the web. I couldn't do that either because their wireless system is horribly dysfunctional. For days on end, nobody in the hotel is able to connect to the wireless network due to some type of IP address conflict with their routers. The hotel knows about the issue but fails to do anything to resolve it. For days on end... in an efficiency hotel where business travelers often stay... who need internet for their jobs and were promised internet among the features.

The water was restored late that night and the TV was restored eventually too, even though it continues to have issues. The internet is an ongoing issue and lately it has been disabled more than enabled. Hotel management seems to think that since it is a "free" service that it really doesn't matter.

As I said before, communication is a huge issue too. I tried to contact the manager via e-mail but received no response. I had two small dogs (10 lbs each) staying with my parents nearby and thought I would let them stay with me for a few nights. My reservation was broken up into two, so the gentleman charged me $50 for the first two nights and told me I would be charged the remaining $100 ($150 total pet fee) when the new reservation took over, which I had expected and budgeted for. When I returned to the hotel several nights later, I found that my room key was not working. I went to the desk and found that they had locked me out of my room and demanded that I pay the remaining fees, which I was under the impression of them already have been paid. I was accused of having them without notifying the desk and "sneaking" them in, but I had the receipt that showed that I had paid the fee and eventually they were able to find it. Unfortunately, when they confronted me and demanded I pay the remaining balance before they let me back into the room, I only had my personal debit card on me and just having started a new job, they just about sucked up what I had left.

And the building is really starting to show its age too. There are many tripping hazards with the sidewalks in the parking lot as there has been significant earth settling. The interior finishes are definitely showing their age, everything from the carpet to the walls to the ceilings to the mattresses, this place is past its prime. Ironically, many of these were built around the same time and it's like this one has experienced some sort of "wear warp", appearing twice as old as any sister building.

And it has been my experience in two rooms that you need to hold the handle down in order to flush the toilet. The toilets are also insanely loud and may wake you up at night.

Overall, unless you're like me and stuck here against your will, I would not pay more than $20 a night to stay here. Their advertised rate assumes you are getting water, cable, internet, a safe environment, etc. Deduct what you think is appropriate. By my calculation, they end up owing me.

Room Tip: Don't expect running water, cable, or internet.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Peter S
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - Briarwood Mall, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America Detroit - Ann Arbor. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Traverse City
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Ugh. Had to find a last minute hotel in Ann Arbor and this one was one of few available (and high $ at that). I've been to I think 3 extended stay hotels prior to this. Two were nice enough, and one not so much. This was the worst of the lot. Very dirty, sticky floors, hairs, etc. Won't describe the bed. Sort of that "bargain rate city motel" feel for a much higher rate. Maybe I had a bad room looking at some of the reviews, but the whole vibe of the place was not clean. Front desk staff were pleasant enough though.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JKandAJ

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Recently stayed here for 2 nights and wasn't satisfied with the stay at all. While it is a basic hotel and we weren't expecting luxury, the least we asked for was a clean room. The bathtub had hair in it and the sheets were very low quality. During the night we could hear the people above walking around and whenever they used the shower or toilet.

I will give them credit, the staff was polite and there was ample parking.

Would definitely not stay again and we only used it as a place to sleep and get ready, and they couldn't even satisfy that.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank piecesofadream
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I routinely visit Detroit on Business. Although my place of work is in Dearborn, I prefer to stay in Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is a peaceful, clean city with a lot of attractions. Extended Stay on Briarwood Circle is a stone's throw from Briarwood Mall. The hotel has a homely feeling with friendly staff. By now they all recognise me and make me feel special. I love the rooms with all the essentials, at a very reasonable price. They have ample parking space and pet friendly (although i dont own one!) The location of the hotel is convenient from the point of Shopping, Groceries, Hotels, Down town and offcourse the famed U of M stadium.
I would recomment this Hotel to all those who value time and money. Whether you travel on short term orlong termExt Stayisthe place to stay.

BTW,you are right of the I94.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank praveensmita
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed here for almost two weeks before moving to other city..It's located very near to the briarwood mall. Though the room is bit outdated with not so many TV channels, but it was spacious & clean. Kitchen works okey ( kitchenette provided), one time charge for internet and free parking. Very helpful young lady in the front desk. Overall, it was a decent experience.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank pollarstar
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 30, 2011

At least 1/8 inch dust on headboard and bedside lamp. Walls are paper thin, so don't expect to get a good nights sleep.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 17, 2010

The room was not very clean. The bed was ripped, with stains on the covers. The tables were dirty.

• Stayed November 2010