Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South
Reviewed March 21, 2014

When reading some reviews I almost did not reserve a room. But I must say I am glad I did the room was clean. It was like a little apartment dishwasher included. This will be perfect when my husband gets a transplant and I will be staying some where for 2 weeks. I have been looking for clean cheap kitchenette type rooms. I found it.

Room Tip: Fitness room on first floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Our room was clean and neat. The halls smelled fresh and clean and the lobby was well maintained. We only stayed one night, but it was good! The clerk at the front desk seemed a little apathetic, but that's the only thing negative I have to say. (she was on her phone when we arrived and then looked at me and said, "Did you need something?"). We switched to this Extended Stay from the other one on Briarwood which was truly disgusting! If you have to stay at an Extended Stay, make sure it's this one and not the other! There's a REALLY big difference.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I am truly stunned by how little the hotel manager cares, and how little the corporate office cares.

I stayed here for 2 months and they billed me incorrectly for one of the months. I brought this up multiple times to front desk and was always told it would be fixed. When it wasn't fixed by checkout, I made the mistake of trusting that it would be corrected after checkout, but it wasn't.
Called hotel a week after checking out to get this fixed, and instead they promptly re-sent the incorrect bill to me. At this point, I gave up on the hotel manager, and called corporate customer service. First call to corporate, they insisted that they will get the hotel manager to fix it. I trusted that surely he would fix it once corporate office called him, but he did not. Second call to corporate, they were surprised to find that the hotel manager hadn't called me to resolve it, but said that their records indicate that a credit to my credit card is in progress, and they would confirm this and call me back. 2 weeks later, no credit, no call back. I am so angry because I cannot get reimbursed for my stay until I have the correct bill, and I should not have to make 5 calls to fix this. Ridiculous! Will make every effort to avoid giving this company any more business during future travels.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dan h
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked the hotel many months ago for the Winter Classic through Expedia. We had three rooms, two basic queens and one room with a pullout couch. The rate for all three rooms was about the same $100/night including taxes. So, you would likely want to hear about problems and the unexpected positives. Well the most significant NEGATIVE was with Expedia.

We tried to change the booking for one room well within the hotel's guidelines. The online options did not provide that specific option - it looked like you had to cancel and re-book. As you can imagine, I didn't want to end up losing the room, so I decided to call expedia. The call centre must be in some remote part of the planet or perhaps off the planet where their agents don't speak English. Seriously, I've dealt with call centres in India, the Philippines and elsewhere and none of them had this level of language incompetence. I had to call THREE TIMES OVER SEVERAL HOURS. I ended the first call because I had no idea what the agent at the other end was saying and I had absolutely NO CONFIDENCE that he knew what he was doing. When I called back 12 hours later, I was connected to a female agent who was better but that's in relative terms. During our conversation it sounded like I would have to cancel and rebook - the problem was that I would have to pay the NEW ROOM RATE which was more than THREE TIMES what I paid (no doubt pumped up for the Winter Classic). I could not just delete one night from the three. So, as I am discussing this with the agent, Their PHONE LINES WENT DEAD. I had no idea what the agent had done regarding our booking. Redials to Expedia failed. When I finally got through, I learned that the agent had done nothing with our booking, so all was OK BUT the third agent was less than friendly when I asked that he confirm that. This just underscores that Expedia gets what they pay for - pay poorly and get poor service. On a positive note, it was convenient to have pre-paid the hotel through Expedia.

When we arrived at the hotel, we checked out all three rooms all on the third floor serviced by one elevator. The end rooms have the couches and are well worth the extra $5 or $10 a night. Two of the three rooms were OK but the third had a dysfunctional heater (It was bitterly cold outside and forecasted to get worse). We checked out FOUR other rooms before we found one with a functional heater. The breakfast food was often done way before 9:30 so we only got BF once. The rooms are OK and the kitchenettes are a nice touch but there not well equipped with utensils. The hotel was only moderately clean, i.e. there were areas and parts of the room that were not well cleaned but overall it was OK.
The staff was the major POSITIVE. They were all very friendly and accomodating, especially the first attendant we met, "Sparkles" (interesting name).
Conclusion - an OK place to stay and for us fairly convenient.

Room Tip: Larger rooms are at the end of the halls, i.e. corner rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The clocks in the room are all on the wrong time. Furnishings just don't fit right. switchplates are broken. There is an exercise room with 3 treadmills, all of which are broken.
the place is dingy.
You CAN make your own instant oatmeal in the tiny breakfast room.

If you are connected to the U of M Hospital it costs only $42 a night. It's hard to justify this place even at that price.

Room Tip: I doubt that there is one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Arthur S
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Had booked the hotel for a week. Didn't even spend 1 night there. Checked in to our room. It was dirty and in needing of repairs. There was hair everywhere, cupboard doors falling off their hinges, electrical outlets coming out of the wall, and the shower curtain rod was about to fall out of wall. Didn't stay long enough to see if there were bugs.
Went down to the desk and got moved to another room, hoping it would be better. While cleaner and in better repair, it was still nasty. The shower rod in this bathroom was also about ready to fall out of the wall, and the refrigerator wasn't working. Went back to the desk and cancelled my whole stay. Based on this experience, I will probably just stay away from the Extended Stay America brand.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Other than it's location near the U of M campus, I really can't think of anything good to say about this hotel. The bed was so hard that your body doesn't even make a dent when you lay on it! It was like sleeping on a concrete floor. There was no tissue or extra toilet paper roll in the bathroom. The towels were thin and scratchy, and the whole place just felt dirty. There were several spots on the couch, and I couldn't help but wonder what they might be. I will say that it was a really good shower with excellent water pressure. Oh, and don't leave anything behind because they will NOT send it to you. You have to go pick it up, and they don't care if you live hundred of miles away, even if you offer to pay the postage or shipping charges. I have never heard of such a thing.

Room Tip: No such thing here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family