“Hotel OK but be careful with Expedia bookings”

Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South
Toronto
“Hotel OK but be careful with Expedia bookings”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked the hotel many months ago for the Winter Classic through Expedia. We had three rooms, two basic queens and one room with a pullout couch. The rate for all three rooms was about the same $100/night including taxes. So, you would likely want to hear about problems and the unexpected positives. Well the most significant NEGATIVE was with Expedia.

We tried to change the booking for one room well within the hotel's guidelines. The online options did not provide that specific option - it looked like you had to cancel and re-book. As you can imagine, I didn't want to end up losing the room, so I decided to call expedia. The call centre must be in some remote part of the planet or perhaps off the planet where their agents don't speak English. Seriously, I've dealt with call centres in India, the Philippines and elsewhere and none of them had this level of language incompetence. I had to call THREE TIMES OVER SEVERAL HOURS. I ended the first call because I had no idea what the agent at the other end was saying and I had absolutely NO CONFIDENCE that he knew what he was doing. When I called back 12 hours later, I was connected to a female agent who was better but that's in relative terms. During our conversation it sounded like I would have to cancel and rebook - the problem was that I would have to pay the NEW ROOM RATE which was more than THREE TIMES what I paid (no doubt pumped up for the Winter Classic). I could not just delete one night from the three. So, as I am discussing this with the agent, Their PHONE LINES WENT DEAD. I had no idea what the agent had done regarding our booking. Redials to Expedia failed. When I finally got through, I learned that the agent had done nothing with our booking, so all was OK BUT the third agent was less than friendly when I asked that he confirm that. This just underscores that Expedia gets what they pay for - pay poorly and get poor service. On a positive note, it was convenient to have pre-paid the hotel through Expedia.

When we arrived at the hotel, we checked out all three rooms all on the third floor serviced by one elevator. The end rooms have the couches and are well worth the extra $5 or $10 a night. Two of the three rooms were OK but the third had a dysfunctional heater (It was bitterly cold outside and forecasted to get worse). We checked out FOUR other rooms before we found one with a functional heater. The breakfast food was often done way before 9:30 so we only got BF once. The rooms are OK and the kitchenettes are a nice touch but there not well equipped with utensils. The hotel was only moderately clean, i.e. there were areas and parts of the room that were not well cleaned but overall it was OK.
The staff was the major POSITIVE. They were all very friendly and accomodating, especially the first attendant we met, "Sparkles" (interesting name).
Conclusion - an OK place to stay and for us fairly convenient.

Room Tip: Larger rooms are at the end of the halls, i.e. corner rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed December 25, 2013

The clocks in the room are all on the wrong time. Furnishings just don't fit right. switchplates are broken. There is an exercise room with 3 treadmills, all of which are broken.
the place is dingy.
You CAN make your own instant oatmeal in the tiny breakfast room.

If you are connected to the U of M Hospital it costs only $42 a night. It's hard to justify this place even at that price.

Room Tip: I doubt that there is one.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Arthur S

Travelers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Had booked the hotel for a week. Didn't even spend 1 night there. Checked in to our room. It was dirty and in needing of repairs. There was hair everywhere, cupboard doors falling off their hinges, electrical outlets coming out of the wall, and the shower curtain rod was about to fall out of wall. Didn't stay long enough to see if there were bugs.
Went down to the desk and got moved to another room, hoping it would be better. While cleaner and in better repair, it was still nasty. The shower rod in this bathroom was also about ready to fall out of the wall, and the refrigerator wasn't working. Went back to the desk and cancelled my whole stay. Based on this experience, I will probably just stay away from the Extended Stay America brand.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Other than it's location near the U of M campus, I really can't think of anything good to say about this hotel. The bed was so hard that your body doesn't even make a dent when you lay on it! It was like sleeping on a concrete floor. There was no tissue or extra toilet paper roll in the bathroom. The towels were thin and scratchy, and the whole place just felt dirty. There were several spots on the couch, and I couldn't help but wonder what they might be. I will say that it was a really good shower with excellent water pressure. Oh, and don't leave anything behind because they will NOT send it to you. You have to go pick it up, and they don't care if you live hundred of miles away, even if you offer to pay the postage or shipping charges. I have never heard of such a thing.

Room Tip: No such thing here!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Paid well over $200 a night for an extremely hard and uncomfortable bed, with paper thin covers and scratchy, ancient towels. To top it all, the rooms are not cleaned, the towels are not changed and the trash is not thrown out if you stay less than a week. If I had spent $40 a night, it would had been tolerable, but for $200+, it was the biggest ripoff of my life. Never again will I stay in this dump.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
The staff and I read your comments about your stay with us. I was disheartened to read that you were unsatisfied with our amenities and housekeeping policy. Please accept our apologies. In response to your feedback, Please know, our housekeeping service can be scheduled for a minimal fee for stays that are shorter than a week. As for our amenities, I will keep your feedback in mind as we continue to make updates in these areas.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, at DTA@extendedstay.com, should you wish to discuss this further. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here for a week! If i had not been traveling with my 94 yr old mother, I would have left immediately. The rooms are filthy dirty, bugs crawling all over the place, I took a couple down to the reception and nothing was done about it. Hair all over the place, a filthy tub, black on the bottom. Absolutely disgusting, I chose to pay the 3 extra bucks to have the room refreshed, and every night I had to go down to the reception to get either towels, toilet paper Kleenex etc! That's what I was supposedly paying extra for. The only star in this hotel is Gladys, always smiling and doing the best she could regardless of the deficiencies around her. I hope she is recognized, she know every single one of the guests and makes them feel at home, regardless of how deficient and disgusting this place is. I hope she gets recognition and a better job someplace else!

Room Tip: This is not where u want to be alone, or with a family! I checked out the red roof, bigger, cleaner...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel was perfect for my weekend getaway or "staycation" as I like to call it. The full kitchen allowed me to stock up with groceries so that I could stay in for the weekend to relax and get some writing done as well. I appreciated the friendly staff and the management team here was awesome. The bed and pillows were amazing and not to mention it was very cost effective. The fitness room was also a plus! I look forward to booking my next staycation at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Tamaria - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are glad we could accommodate all of your needs. I am also pleased to read that that you enjoyed the in-room kitchen as well as the service our staff provided.