Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I truly enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The customer service was great! I enjoyed the room and amenities. The hotel is very accommodating and family friendly. I truly loved the wireless internet and the parking. I would recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
RDO_Sarah_L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate your feedback as it helps us to continue to provide great service to our guests. I'm thrilled to hear the room and our amenities worked out so well for you, especially our wireless and complimentary parking. Thank you again for sharing and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

we have been staying here for more than a year

The room is spacious and has all the necessary amenities for a long haul.The crockery and cutlery is an added bonus.
The hotel is strategically located, near to malls, bus stop eating joints, library etc
Must mention the new Patio that has been upgraded has become a favorite place to sit and relax.with brand new chairs and tables
the area is quite welcoming and had some wonderful dinners with friends.

The staff is courteous and my thanks to Ashley, Tracy and Alisha in the Front desk. Also Steve has been prompt and fixed maintenance issue
He surely acknowledges every guest and is valuable to the company.
But my sincere compliment to Jason, who has handled issues with tact and has been instrumental in having us not move out to an apartment
Ensuring that as a long stay we have been valued and to make certain that we have had a comfortable stay.

As the name suggests its ideal for longer period of stay even better to stay here than an apartment since there is absolute convenience
one payment takes care of all (electricity,telephone,wifi,heat,security) and the facility of the kitchen enables you not to miss home cooking.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay at our Deluxe in Ann Arbor. Your feedback was wonderful and I appreciate you taking the time to post it. We are committed to providing excellent guest service and it appears our staff did just that. I'm happy to hear you enjoy the upgrades to the patio area. It does make a nice area to spend some time. Thank you again for your continued business. We appreciate having you with us.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is best i got and in good price. Best this is that kitchen that include everything microwave, jumbo refrigerator, dish washer etc and i like size of room that is perfect fit for a family of 2-4. Hotel staff is very helpfull and cooperative.

Room Tip: south side rooms have moresun shine, and good for winter
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Thank you for your review. I'm happy our hotel layout worked out so well for you and your family. We appreciate you choosing our hotel and we do hope to have you back if you are ever in the Ann Arbor area again.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I have the experience of leaving at ESD (AA) for more than a year now. Its a fun place to stay, where the rooms are neatly done and the hotel houses a caring staff. Even the managers and senior managers are easily approachable and any concerns or issues that I have had was promptly dealt with to my satisfaction. Its always good to have people around you (especially at hotels) who take the time to listen to you and and then do things as per your satisfaction and I had my best experience while staying here, where the staff even went out of the way to help me and I was amazed at the care they took.

So whenever I come back next time to Ann Arbor, I will be staying at Extended Stay Deluxe.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful things about your experience. Our hotel is totally committed to the satisfaction of every guest who walks through our doors, which is why it is so rewarding to get feedback like yours; it tells us that we are delivering on that commitment. I am thrilled you enjoyed your time with us in Ann Arbor and I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip. Thank you again so much for your business and your review.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

For a living i stay in alot of hotels. This one could be good with a little tlc but for now it has alot of little problems. The kitchen has a pot and 1 pan that the handels are about to fall off, the dishes i had to re wash, The stove burners are bent and do not lay flat with the stove tob.
The recliner in the room is broke it will not sit in the up position, The room cleaning was making the bed, they did not vacum or take out the trash. Most Extended stay hotels have a grill to use on the patio so i asked about it and the clerk said it was locked in the patio storage building and guest were not aloud to use it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Sarah L, Owner at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

Thank you for your posting. I appreciate you sharing your experience. I want to apologize for the issues you experienced with your room. I completely understand how that would be frustrating and unacceptable. I have met with the hotel staff to discuss the issues with the dishes, pots/pans, stove burners and recliner and am confident these issues were addressed. I am so sorry that happened to you. I want to lastly apologize for the confusion with the grill. That should not have been the case, please accept my apologies. Again your feedback helps us do a better job of taking care of our guests and providing a great guest experience. So again, thank you. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me with further questions or concerns.

Reviewed June 6, 2012

I do a lot of out-of-state contract work, and have lived in long term hotels in several states. In a nutshell, the Extended Stay Deluxe in Ann Arbor provides very good value, and has a friendly, helpful staff. More detailed discussion is below.

The single best aspect of this property is the staff and management. Without exception, the front desk, housekeeping, and building maintenance people are friendly and helpful, and the management is both flexible and responsive to guest concerns.

I’ve got a corner room on the 3rd floor, which is quiet and has windows on two sides. It feels like a small apartment, unlike some long term hotels, in which you basically get everything in one large space.

The kitchen includes a full size refrigerator, microwave, large size sink, dishwasher, dish drying rack, four burner stove & oven, and four complete sets of dishes. This compares very favorably with other long term hotels, most of which provide much less.

There is a coin operated laundry on the 1st floor of the hotel, and Mr. Stadium, an excellent 24 hour laundromat with all sizes of machines, plus pressing, dry cleaning, and tailoring service, is just a few minutes away.

While it’s a bit expensive if you’re only staying for one or two nights, the long term rates are very reasonable, and are lower than the other comparable long term hotels in the Ann Arbor area. Then again, if you’re only in town for a couple of days, is it even worth buying groceries and cooking for yourself?

It’s in a convenient location, with easy freeway access, and a wide range of shopping within five minutes of the hotel. A major shopping mall is a minute or two away, and within one freeway exit there are large discount stores, department stores, groceries, numerous banks, and even a Whole Foods.

The free wireless Internet works well, and on the rare occasion when you might need something, the 800 tech support line staff are knowledgeable and responsive. There is a faster Internet option available for $30 per month, but the improvement is only marginal.

Okay, if it’s so great, what’s the downside? Well, not much, really, but there are two areas that could stand improvement.

The carpet in my room is very old, and has a lot of cigarette burns in it. But there’s absolutely no odor from smoke. I’m a former smoker (quit 17 years ago), and these days I’m very sensitive to cigarette smoke, even outdoors. Michigan outlawed smoking in hotels a couple of years ago, and I have to say that they did an outstanding job of getting rid of the smell.

The other area that I’d like to see improved is the cable TV selection. In particular, there are a lot of common sports channels that aren’t available.

While there are several versions of ESPN, ESPN-U, which carries a lot of college games, isn’t here. Other notable sports channels that are missing include Fox Sports Detroit, which carries Red Wings and Tigers games, NBC Sports (former Versus), which has NHL playoff games, and the Big Ten Network.

Room Tip: Staying 31 days or longer qualifies for Michigan's tax free status.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thank you so much for your great feedback regarding your stay at our Extended Stay Deluxe – Ann Arbor. I’m so glad to hear our product worked out so well for you and it’s very rewarding to hear the staff took such great care of you. Thank you for your kind words on our location, amenities and WIFI. That is great to hear! Thank you also for your feedback on our channel lineup. That is definitely something we are looking into. Thank you again for your stay. We appreciate your business.

Reviewed March 20, 2012

As a UM b-school graduate and football season ticket holder I get back to Ann Arbor a good deal. Let me be clear, I live in Starwood hotels as I travel for a living. Despite that in Ann Arbor, I ONLY STAY at the Extended Stay Deluxe in Ann Arbor. It is a GREAT VALUE. More over and MORE IMPORTANT, they treat me and my guests like family. I have had occasion to me the manager Alan Russell on virtually every occasion. Great hotels are run by great leaders. I have to believe Mr. Russell is a great leader. In every interaction I have had he remembers me and my family and guests. He recalls conversations we have had in the past. He proactively will make taxi arrangements for us. He is the reason - I believe - this is such a great hotel. I am not alone. All of my friends now stay here when in town as well. I am shocked that the Extended Stay group has not moved this guy to corporate. When in Ann Arbor, look for Mr. Russell. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the left of the elevators on the "L". They are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
ChristopherTM, Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Ann Arbor - University South, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay Deluxe Detroit - Ann Arbor. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We know you have many lodging options in the area, which is why providing you and every guest with professional, friendly service is our priority.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area.