“Surprisingly Good!”

Fairfield Inn Ann Arbor
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Needed adjoinging rooms in Ann Arbor last minute and they bent over backwards to accomodate us. The staff was professional and the property was clean. The rooms were good enough for what we paid and the beds were comfortable. Got a good night's sleep! The kids loved the pool although the water was a bit cold. The complimentary breakfast was great and the coffee was decent. I'd stay here again long before the courtyard or the campus inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Stayed here for one night in August 2012. The room was clean, but it was a bit odd to have the sink in the room. When I read the reviews I thought the sink was tucked away near the bathroom and concealed, but it was right in the room. Not a big deal, I had just never seen a set up like that before. The room was neat and clean, the hotel staff were friendly and very welcoming. The pool was okay, and the hot tub was alright, I have seen better, I have seen worse. The continental breakfast was pretty standard with a decent selection. The location of the hotel is close to the highway and a few restaurants. There are many hotels in the area that you can choose from, but this is a decent selection. I got the room on sale, full price may be a bit too much to pay, but a sale price is well worth it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed 2 nights, July 3+4, 2012. First night was unremarkable, except the closest power outlet to the bed was VERY far away. I use a CPAP, and with the entire cord, the entire tube hookup, it was still so far from the bed, I had to use the very edge to lie down. That's right, paid for a king size bed, the outlet meant I got to use 1 foot on the edge. The other outlets near the bed were locked up/inaccessible to me. Night 2, we had a huge storm come through and knock out the power to the entire hotel. No CPAP, no sleep, and it turned out it was just a tiny area that happened to include this hotel and one other. The sister hotel to the Hampton may have had power, all of 400 feet away. No one came to knock on our door to mention the power was out, thank goodness I didn't have anything important enough to have needed an alarm or wake up service. When we came out of our room, the ONLY emergency light on the ENTIRE 4th floor was at the elevators: THE ONLY THING YOU SHOULDN'T USE IN AN EMERGENCY and can't use when the power was out. I will say it again, the only battery operated emergency light on the 4th floor led you AWAY from the stairs at either end of the hotel floor. I used my phone to find the stairwell, which was utterly unlit inside by any kind of emergency light or window. We got four flights of stairs with a near slip, and made our way to the lobby. The continental breakfast that was included in the price of our room? Warm banana and apple from YESTERDAY's breakfast. There was FINALLY someone from the hotel staff (behind the front desk) who repeated, over and over, that the computers were down and there was nothing she could do. I felt utterly abandoned by the staff, dangerously directed by the emergency light, and left to shuffle in the dark stairwells. No mention of a discount, no mention of a free night, just, "The computers are down, the computers are down." Terrible experience.

Room Tip: Bring a flashlight, bring an extension cord if you use a CPAP. Better yet, stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Catdrchris
Reviewed July 17, 2012

A clean, friendly hotel. It was busy and still managed to get everything done right. Great front desk staff.

Room Tip: Tricky location but handy once you figure it out. Street address is a tiny bit confusing.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed for a wedding in area. The room was very small. The bathroom had a shower and toilet. Sink was outside in the room. Our room had a smell to it, almost "smokey"...although it was a non-smoking hotel. It wasn't bad enough to have us complain. We knew we would be sleeping there and that was about it. The bed was comfy. The towels were horrible. You do get free wi-fi and the breakfast was actually pretty good. The pool was clean and the room did have an overall clean appearance. There are several other hotels in the area, and I might think again and spend a little more to stay somewhere a bit nicer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2012

When I checked in, the clerk demanded that I show photo ID in addition to my credit card. This violates the terms of the hotel's credit card agreement with Mastercard (they specifically don't want you to show ID, as it is a vector for identity theft), and when I politely declined, he got defensive and nasty, but he let me check in. When I returned later to show him Mastercard's website that outlines this policy, he told me that he was "letting me get away with it this time," as if I were some sort of crook. It's bad enough that they are violating the policy, but to be rude about it as well is unforgivable.

As for the rest of my stay, let's just say that there were insects in my room and some of the scratchiest towels I have ever encountered in the US. I have stayed at this hotel before, but never again, as management appears to have taken a nosedive. There are at least three other hotels with comparable rates within walking distance of this one. Do yourself a favor and stay at one of those instead.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank cjstephens
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This is an average hotel and acceptable when staying in the area. The rooms were accomodated appropriately, nothing was out of place and the staff was friendly. The rooms were a bit dated, only the lobby was renovated. The biggest issue is the wireless internet. It works on the first two floors but if you're above that forget doing anything but web surfing.

The hotel staff did what they could but the company that maintains the wireless did a poor job in covering the upper floors. In one room on the 4th floor I needed to stay by the door just to get reception without dropping the connection.

Overall you will get a place to sleep and a cheap continental breakfast. If you have to stay a few nights, go for it. I wouldn't stay here for anything longer than a few days.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business