“Hardest working staff”

Ranked #8 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Panama City, Florida
“Hardest working staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

The hotel itself is a fairly standard Hampton Inn in rooms and layout. It has a pool and small workout area. The breakfast is Hampton Inn standard. While we were there the hotel was busy with kid hockey teams in town for a tournament. The Hampton Inn staff worked hard to keep everything in order despite the swarm of kids. The constantly restocked breakfast, pool towels and kept everything as clean as possible. I was impressed with how hard they worked to make sure everyone enjoyed their stay. The hotel is located near the UM North Campus but less than a 10 minute drive downtown (probably only 5 miles but 10 minutes driving). There are some restaurants nearby but I would go downtown for countless better, non-chain options. We will stay here again when in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
JessicaHogle, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, March 14, 2013

Best regards,

Jessica Hogle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Turkish first
St.Joe-Benton Harbor, MI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

For the past few years we book our rooms almost exclusively through Hotwire. For the most part we find that Hotwire guests are treated pretty much like full-price rack-rate guests. This was not the case at this Hampton Inn. "Ryan" checked us in early, at around 3 pm. By the parking lot we assume the hotel was fairly empty. As we usually do, we requested a King or Queen room, what followed did not surprise us, what Ryan said, did. He said they didn't have a King or Queen room and that the room we were "entitled" to was a double. I pointed out that our Hotwire reservation was for a standard room, and by the hotel's own website and literature, a standard was two double beds, minimum. His comment surprised us, he said, "if we were picky about our room we should have booked though the hotel website and paid full price." He left us with the impression that because we got a "good" deal, he was going to see to it that we got a sub-standard room. Which we did. We had a handicap room (132) with one double bed and minimum furniture. I had to use a lobby desk to do my paperwork for lack of a decent work surface. On a positive note, the good coffee all day, and the really good complimentary breakfast made up, a bit, for a so-so night's sleep. We had a similar thing happen recently at a Red Lion in Denver, but were moved when we asked for a larger bed. Seems some desk people hate to see someone get a Hotwire deal.. hope this isn't a trend.

Room Tip: If you come in with a Hotwire or other good deal, don't expect a "good" room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of Ryan. The interaction with our staff member, with regards to your comments about Hotwire guests', is certainly not typical and I will be sure to raise your experience with our entire service team as a training exercise. I am pleased that you enjoyed our coffee and breakfast.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back, so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you come back and stay with us in the near future.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I stayed one night.

Pros:
Smooth check-in. Had been told to get on the 8am shuttle to the hospital (I was there for an interview) but upon check-in was told 7:30am was the only available. No problem.
Applebees connected to hotel. I opt for to-go dinner to eat in my room after a long day traveling.
I liked the layout of the room, except for the fact that the flat screen TV was across from the bed and on the same wall as the couch/loveseat. Basically, you couldn't watch TV on the couch, only on the bed.
Happy to see a coffeemaker, iron, ironing board.
Desk with outlets.
Slept well in comfortable bed, no noise.
Shuttle to hospital was on time in the morning.

Cons:
Dusty (see picture)
Tub caulking needs attention (see picture, dirty/dirt rubbed off when I wiped it with a washcloth
Furniture seems a little worn (dresser, bathroom vanity)
Away from the desk, outlets are hard to come by. For instance, I had to try to move the dresser (with the TV on it) to get to the outlet in order to plug in the coffeemaker.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to apologize that you were disappointed with your stay and that you were not 100% satisfied with your hotel accommodations. I have personally looked into the specific issues you encountered during your stay, rectified them and ensure that these issues do not reoccur in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Your comments are imperative to our continued success!

Litchfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We booked this hotel the night before our son's EEG specifically so he could swim since he had to stay awake most of the night. He was crushed when we arrived only to find the pool was closed for renovations. Not only did the desk manager let us cancel our reservation, but she found another hotel room for us at the hospital rate - with a working pool. Thank you for saving the day! The hotel was lovely...disappointed we had to switch but the pool was a must have amenity that night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JessicaHogle, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that you were unable to stay with us due to pool being under renovation. I am pleased that your interaction with the front desk staff was helpful and enjoyable. I will be sure and pass your comments along to them.

I would take pleasure in welcoming you back, as our refurbishment is now completed, so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be. Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you come back and stay with us in the near future.

Youngstown, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We had an adequate night at this plain property. The breakfast was very good. The service was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was quiet and clean.
The room was smallish and poorly designed. The couch in our king bed room was facing away from the TV. The bathroom was small. The room had no refrigerator nor microwave. There was only a blind on the window. Your choice was totally dark or total view of the parking lot. The fitted sheets didn't fit and kept coming off as we slept or turned over in our sleep.
These shortcomings were not enough to keep us from coming here again. The price was $94 on a weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
JessicaHogle, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and its team for your stay.

You may also be interested to learn that very soon we will be starting a full refurbishment of our lobby and later in the year, the guest rooms as well. I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after our refurbishment is completed so that you could experience the hotel as it was meant to be.

Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that you come back and stay with us again.

Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

The place was worn-down and the AC wasn't working when I stayed. I was pretty disappointed when I arrived to find out I had been put in a disabled room because that was all that was left. Make sure you double check what your booking as.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
JessicaHogle, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to apologize that you were disappointed with your stay and that you were not 100% satisfied with your hotel accommodations. I would be happy to personally look into any specific issues you encountered during your stay so these issues do not reoccur in the future.

I am very proud to share with you that we are in the process of multiple hotel improvements! This will most certainly improve all physical aspects of our hotel.

syracuse
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I usually stay elsewhere in Ann Arbor but decided to try something different. This Hampton was very clean, seemed updated (carpeting seemed new, bathroom looked new). The room was very nice. It did not have a refrigerator, which I thought I had reserved. No problem - the front desk delivered one to my room within minutes. the pool area and hot tub were clean and nice. Towels and bed linens were outstanding. The hotel was pretty noisy though. There were at least two groups of high school-age kids in some tournaments. Some of these girls were staying in the rooms across from me, and I could hear them for hours. They did, however, pipe down when I used my "mom" voice to tell them to get to sleep. Still, i didn't sleep well here, although the bed was quite comfortable.

Room Tip: If you want a refrigerator/micro, make sure you request it when you reserve. Also, ask to be put in...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
JessicaHogle, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
We are very pleased you decided to stay at the Hampton Inn North while in the Ann Arbor area! We are also grateful that you provided feedback. I will make sure to pass your wonderful comments along to my staff members; they take pride in their work and are always continuously trying to improve our guests' experience. I apologize that you encountered noise issues during your stay with us. We work very hard to try and keep the noise disturbances to a minimum and I am truly sorry you did not receive a good night’s rest. We hope to provide you with another opportunity to serve you if you are ever back in the Ann Arbor area!

Best regards,