“Okay, but not great”

Ranked #9 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Glendale
“Okay, but not great”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I stayed here for several nights in August with my husband. We felt like the overall experience was acceptable, but if we had to go back to Ann Arbor again, we might do more sleuthing to find another option. Here are the pros and cons.
Pros: Really friendly and helpful front desk staff. Excellent customer service and genuinely nice people.
Given the large number of guests, the hotel's common areas including the breakfast area are very very clean and well maintained. I was impressed.
Housekeeping staff was very nice and friendly.

Cons: I'm 5'8 and...I was too tall to go on the gym's eliptical machine without hitting my head on the ceiling in the gym. If hitting my head hadn't left me concussed, I'm pretty sure that the overpowering smell of chlorine from the ajacent indoor pool would have done me in. In other words, the gym wasn't able to meet my needs

Think long and hard about a first floor room if you don't like the smell of chlorine. Some of my relatives were on this floor and they were pretty overwhelmed by the smell.

Our room was maintained (bed made) but not cleaned (e.g. the bathroom sink wasn't cleaned) on a daily basis by the housekeeping staff. I'm not sure if this is common practice so this isn't really a criticism, but just something to note. I would prefer a hotel with more thorough and regular cleaning.

Our room had some issues with dampness from the air conditioning. I didn't really notice this until the end of my stay, but the air conditioning unit caused moisture which made my suitcase (which I put on the luggage rack near the air conditioner) quite damp. Upon closer inspection, the whole wall area was somewhat damp and seemed a bit moldy.

So, in sum, it was an okay visit, with some friendly and kind and helpful staff which still left some things to be desired.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Glendale_Sarah
JennaSmithGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with comments regarding your past stay. I am sorry to hear about some of the housekeeping issues and would like to resolve this issue. Please email me at jsmith@fhginc.com or you can reach me directly at 734-996-4444. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Turkish first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Enjoyed my stay here last weekend for the UM/Notre Dame game despite the inflated price ($299/night) for Friday and Saturday. The hotel is very, very clean and is modern and comfortable. The staff are attentive and they had a welcome gift ready for us (UM bag with bottled water and snacks for the game) at arrival. The room was good sized with a separate sofa and table and the large flat screened TV was a good feature. The bathrooms are very small but well-appointed.

The breakfast buffet (6am-10am) was great. You can make your own waffles (you actually cook them yourself) and they had home fries and bacon plus some reheated omelettes. They had three different coffees and fruit/yogurts and juices. I liked the white rice with Japanese toppings as well.

Applebee's is right next door for food and drinks and a cab to Central Campus is only $15. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigBlueiFlorida
JennaSmithGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
We are you glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Go Blue!
new york city
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The property is well-maintained.
We could not obtain a senior citizen or AAA discount.
Our room,although small, was clean and well-maintained; the air conditioner was loud and disruptive.
The free breakfast provided an excellent variety.
The fitness room is minimally equipped.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
JennaSmithGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
We do value your feedback and appreciate your comments. Discounts are limited based on events and demand in the area, however we are glad to see you were comfortable during your visit. Please join us again if you are back in Ann Arbor. Thank you!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Having stayed in some of the "competition" hotels in the North Ann Arbor area, this Hampton Inn was a wonderful and refreshing upgrade: The hotel is modern, clean, and professional. It is what I would call a "Corporate Quality" hotel with all the ammenities one would expect.

Having read the mixed reviews here on TripAdvisor I was a little sceptical at first. But I was impressed with the way Jenna (GM) responds to every TripAdvisor post about her hotel and the fact that she actually seems to care about the comments.

Staff:
The entire staff, from the front desk to the breakfast crew, are absolutely the best. Friendly, outgoing, helpful, and knowledgable. You couldn't ask for more. They accommodated special room changes for my family, and even had a refrigerator moved into our room for our extended stay. Wow! Housecleaning does a great job - the room was perfect every day.

Rooms: Well kept and nice looking. The WiFi access was great, and the rooms are nicely decorated and well maintained. Bathroom was clean and in very good condition - no flaking caulk or stained bathtubs or any of the stuff that's common at the competitors' hotels in this area. The bed matress is great!

Parking:
Lots of parking in a well-lit lot that seems safe and secure.

Facility:
The indoor pool, hot tub and excercise room are all well maintained and in great shape. Be sure to take advantage of it all!

Breakfast:
The young 70-year old who runs the breakfast operation every morning is the best! Food is very good for a "continental" type breakfast, and he'll put out bacon, sausages, omelettes and more every day. This isn't 5-star stuff, but it's a very nice way to start your day and enjoy a little conversation - I really liked it!

I would highly recommend this Hampton as "the place to stay" in North Ann Arbor: We've tried the rest - this one is the best!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on various areas of your stay! We are always working on the hotel condition and staff friendliness and I am glad to see the guests are enjoying all of them. It was a pleasure to have you and thanks for choosing Hampton!
Washington State
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I joined my husband on his business trip here. We stayed in room 403 and it was quiet and comfortable. Housekeeping does a good job, and the front desk is friendly and accommodating. There's a shuttle to take you anywhere you'd like to go in town at your convenience, and while I didn't use the fitness center or pool, they both looked clean and quite nice. If you're looking for a less expensive choice, check this place out!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
JennaSmithGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor - North, responded to this review, August 23, 2011
Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure to pass your comments along to all of the departments to let them know what a great job they did during your stay. We appreciate your business!
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Tiles in bathroom not secure. Carpet needs to be replaced. Over priced by comparison to other lodgings we've stayed at.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments. The good news it that all carpet has been replaced in the guest rooms. We have also looked into the tile in your bathroom and have had that replaced since your stay. I do see we issued you the 100% guarantee since you were not completely satisfied with your stay. We hope you will consider us again for future stays to Ann Arbor.
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed July 31, 2011

My husband and I have been long time fans of Hampton Inns. They (generally) give us a great experience for a decent price.
First of all, I feel like this Hampton was a bit overpriced. Now, here's our "list."
1. The first room we were sent to was filthy. I mean, bed in disarray, towels wadded up, trash on the floor. And on the dresser, there was an apology note from the staff to the last visitor. Not a good sign. So we called down and a member of the staff brought us up another key card.
2. We open the next room to find that the room has 2 double beds, not the king size bed we paid for. My husband calls down and is informed that their computer doesn't say king size (then why oh why did the first room have a king bed?) Like the "boy scout" couple we are, I whip out our Hampton conformation that specifies "KING" on it. So they find us a king room.
3. A king room, next to the elevator, with a view of a wall..
4. Our hair dryer lit up like a Christmas tree while I was using it our first morning there, smoked and blew. Awesome! So I call down and I did receive sympathy from the staff and was quite promptly brought a new dryer. (I barely had time to hang up the phone.)
5. The room was not cleaned most of the nights there. Towels left on the floor, no replenishment of our products. (Coffee, cups, soap, toilet paper.)

With all this in mind, when we got back the first thing I did was compose a letter to the Hampton Inn and within 2 days I received an e-mail back from the manager of the Ann Arbor North Hampton Inn. She expressed her apologies and DID refund one night of our stay.
I will definitely continue to use Hampton Inns, but when we make a return trip to Ann Arbor, I believe we shall find another place to stay.

Room Tip: Bring your confirmation with you!