“Friendly staff, functional hotel”

Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Stayed here for a water polo tournament at U of Michigan. Nothing fancy, but clean rooms. A bit on the small side. Breakfast is nothing special but good enough if you don't need a hot breakfast. Close to the school and the freeway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed during the very busy weekend of the Michigan vs Michigan State game - the hotel was full and pricey for a Hampton Inn. We were welcomed by very friendly front desk staff and everyone we dealt with was accommodating and ready to make our stay comfortable. The room was fine, the noise in the very full hotel was loud on Saturday night (after the game) but Friday was quiet. Housekeeping in our room was not the best, tissue box was empty and toilet paper roll almost empty and not replaced. My review would have been worse, if not for the welcome we got at check in and the hospitality shown at every turn by the front desk staff. Parking is free and plentiful. First impressions go a long way and the manager of the Hampton Inn South Ann Arbor obviously knows this.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I know I always say this about Hampton Inn's...but it's an expected stay: clean hotel/friendly front desk/good breakfast...clean room...everything works....that's why I like Hampton Inn. It's also why I stay at them as much as I can (plus the Hilton HHonors points)! This hotel was in a good location (near to I-94 and a mall and local area restaurants)...but off the main street so a quiet location near other hotels. The only complaint I had about my room...was the "closet" was hard to hang stuff up in...and it was small. Instead of hanging stuff side-to-side/left-to-right... stuff went in the closet on a single-bar FRONT-to-BACK...so it made it hard to get stuff out...but I was only there for 3 nights so it was not awful...I was just thinking that if I was there for a longer time - would be hard to keep more clothes in the closet. I still liked the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I'm a Hilton Honors Gold member, always upgraded if rooms are available. This hotel was certainly not full, and if my room was an upgraded room, that is most disappointing. Small room, no fridge, only about 25 channels on the TV, remote control acts up and is due for replacement, no restaurant at or near the hotel, lots of static on the telephone, snack-water (Honors Gold freebies) not waiting for me in my room, etc. I could go on but won't. The staff was courteous, the room was clean and the bed was fine -- as is the case in all Hampton Inns. But this was a tired hotel, indeed perhaps the most modest Hampton Inn I've stayed in of the 15-odd HI's I've been to in 2012.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
MichelleMcclintockGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for your review. We certainly work hard to create a great experience for each of our guests by providing the basics like a clean, fresh smelling room and friendly staff. I apologize that our bathrooms didn't provide you with a more spacious counter top which is certainly valuable feedback that I will note. And Yes, Michigan Football fills the Ann Arbor area rather quickly 6-7 weekends every fall. The next time you are in the area, please consider staying with us again as we loved having you!

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

This is a standard Hampton inn. Clean, decent rooms, good location. I was staying here on business. Breakfast ok. Staff were courteous. What more is there to say?

Why do I have to write 200 characters for a review?

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 9 days while visiting family in the area. We couldn't have been more pleased. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and the staff was constantly keeping it that way. The breakfast was great. We will stay here again when we come back. Moderate prices,clean,great staff,good breakfast. If you're looking to stay in the area this is the place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
MichelleMcclintockGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments concerning the staff as they take great pride in providing a clean and friendly environment! We look forward to your next visit to Ann Arbor!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

The hotel management and staff excel in their service, friendliness, and attention to their clients. The free, warm breakfast is superb. The cleanliness of the hotel is above and beyond the expected. The location is convenient to the downtown and campus area of the University of Michigan. I would highly recommend this Hampton locale.

Roger E. Mayerson
Morristown, N. J.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind comments as I certainly will share them with all of my staff members. Lucie and Kay will be very happy to hear that you throughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet that they take such pride in delivering hot and fresh food!