“Absolutely Great” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Minneapolis
“Absolutely Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

After reading other reviews, I can't believe they are being fair. This hotel was NOT old and dated - quite the opposite. The halls, common areas and breakfast area were all spotless, clean and updated. Our room was very comfortable, clean and had lots of space for clothes. The TV was HD and the shower was fabulous. Front desk was very nice and the breakfast was very good, especially considering that it came with the room! The wifi was quick and easy to connect to. My husband and I have been to Ann Arbor five times and this was our favorite - even way above The Dahlman Inn. I immediately put my name on the waiting list for Parents Weekend at the college - I don't ever want to stay anywhere else when I come to town! Crawfords give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Minnetonkamom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

We recently stayed at the Ann Arbor South Hampton for three nights and took 2 rooms. One room was fine, the other, a complete mess. Stale water smell was increasing to the point where we had to move rooms for the 3rd night of our stay. Despite having endured filthy carpets (note previous reviewer's comments on blackened feet were very accurate), torn rug, hair in the bed and a chipped tub (on top of the smell) we were advised that one night would be removed from our bill. I was told anything more would require the General Manager to contact us, we never heard from her. Ironically, I should have read all of her responses to the negative comments here and I would never have bothered staying at her hotel. Sadly, we were loyal Hampton customers...emphasize 'were'.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MichelleMcclintockGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I understand you were unhappy with the cleanliness of your room and I am very sorry for this experience. We take a lot of pride in our guests being satisfied and apologize for all of the inconveniences you endured during your stay. I talked to our housekeeping staff to ensure that they are following our strict protocol for servicing the rooms. We are currently taking action on all the things mentioned so we can ensure we’re serving our guest to the highest standards. The carpets have been professionally cleaned throughout the hotel. I would be very happy to talk to you directly over the phone as I am sincerely sorry that I did not talk to you while you were here at the hotel. You may call me directly at 734-665-5000.

Michelle McClintock
VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

In mid-July we stayed at Hampton Inn-South for three nights. The carpeting in our room looked okay, but our feet turned black and it was sticky. Because my husband was at a conference, I spent more time than usual at the hotel, in and out, walking up and down the hallways on several floors to get my coffee. I never saw/heard a vacuum cleaner being used. On the day we checked out I saw a woman using a lint roller on a long stick to "clean" the floor in a room. So THAT is why our carpet was all grimy--how gross! We could hear our shoes stick as we walked on the tile in the bathroom and the entryway. And the carpeting in and near the elevators was black.

Although the staff was friendly and appeared to work hard, it wasn't enough to offset the sticky, grimy, filthy floors. In general, we like Hampton Inns but we will never stay at this hotel again. I booked the nearby Holiday Inn for our August trip.

Room Tip: We were offered another room, but were afraid the floor would be just as grimy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
MichelleMcclintockGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations and I have contacted our housekeeping team to correct the problem immediately. I understand the condition of our carpet was of concern; I am always looking for reviews to provide insight into our guest experience, as cleanliness and comfort are our first priority. The lint rollers are not used to clean the rooms, but to help remove hair off the floor that vacuuming does not. After utilizing the lint rollers, we do in fact use the proper chemicals to clean, santize and deodorize each bathroom floor. Thank you again for your feedback and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area as you will see that we take our guests comments seriously.
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were traveling to Traverse City, MI for a wedding and stopped here overnight. Rooms were clean. Staff was excellent. Lots to do around the hotel--mall, Univ of Michigan, restaurants. Had a great time. Would definitely stay again.

• 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for your nice comments. Our staff does strive to provide 100% hospitality to each and every guest that walks through our doors! I hope you have time to visit us again soon, perhaps for a football game? You also don't want to miss food favorites like Zingermans and the Blue and Maize Deli which have both been mentioned on Food Network.

Michelle McClintock
Edwardsville, Il.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I would rate this Hampton Inn as average. The rooms are OK and offer plenty of storage. The public areas are showing signs of wear. The breakfast area is small and dominated by a large communal table. It seems to work. The hotel is clean and the staff are quite friendly. I stayed here for a couple nights during the art fairs. The hotel is located less than five minutes away from one of the art fair shuttle lots. There is a fast food and oriental restaurant located within walking distance.

Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Typical Hampton Inn although perhaps a little more worn. The location was not convenient to walk to restaurants but a short drive. One complaint, breakfast is from 6am to 10am. That should mean it is ready to go at 6am. At 615 they were not ready and even when they thought they were...they were not. Asking for a fork got you directed to the two tubs of knives. Otherwise an okay stay. Not in my top 10 of Hamptons but that is still a lot better than many other chains.

• Stayed July 2012
Bryan, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed one night with other families. My first impression were the Hallway and lounge area carpets. They are very dirty (black).. Seeing the hall carpets made me not want to sleep in my room. Our room seemed cleaned but I just felt dirty after seeing all the hallways. One family that we were traveling with said that they found a pile of clipped toenails between the beds on floor. They reported it to staff and felt like they were not concerned about it. I know for sure that at least 2 of the rooms shower did not drain quickly and you had to stand in water while showering. It is an older hotel and I am sure that it gets used a lot, but I just felt like they could have paid a little more attention to small details. Also, the pool was closed due to a broken part. I think we might have enjoyed the pool area since it is surrounded by windows and has a patio that could be used for grilling.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
MichelleMcclintockGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you for your review. Our housekeepers strive to ensure each and every room is fresh and clean and vacuumed daily. We all take great pride in providing a friendly and clean atmosphere and I apologize that a staff member came across anything but apologetic. Unfortunately our pool was closed due to a circulating pump going down late Friday night. It was fixed Monday morning and the water is currently warm and clear. I apologize that you were unable to enjoy this part of the hotel, the patio is a wonderful place to relax in the evening and even grill some hotdogs and hamburgers. We have also worked with our maintenance team to correct the issues with the drains. We hope to have the opportunity to provide a true Hampton experience in the future. Please do not hesitant to call me directly so I may speak to you personally about this experience. Thank you Michelle Mcclintock