“NOT THE BEST HAMPTON”

Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I would rate this Hampton Inn as average. The rooms are OK and offer plenty of storage. The public areas are showing signs of wear. The breakfast area is small and dominated by a large communal table. It seems to work. The hotel is clean and the staff are quite friendly. I stayed here for a couple nights during the art fairs. The hotel is located less than five minutes away from one of the art fair shuttle lots. There is a fast food and oriental restaurant located within walking distance.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Typical Hampton Inn although perhaps a little more worn. The location was not convenient to walk to restaurants but a short drive. One complaint, breakfast is from 6am to 10am. That should mean it is ready to go at 6am. At 615 they were not ready and even when they thought they were...they were not. Asking for a fork got you directed to the two tubs of knives. Otherwise an okay stay. Not in my top 10 of Hamptons but that is still a lot better than many other chains.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed one night with other families. My first impression were the Hallway and lounge area carpets. They are very dirty (black).. Seeing the hall carpets made me not want to sleep in my room. Our room seemed cleaned but I just felt dirty after seeing all the hallways. One family that we were traveling with said that they found a pile of clipped toenails between the beds on floor. They reported it to staff and felt like they were not concerned about it. I know for sure that at least 2 of the rooms shower did not drain quickly and you had to stand in water while showering. It is an older hotel and I am sure that it gets used a lot, but I just felt like they could have paid a little more attention to small details. Also, the pool was closed due to a broken part. I think we might have enjoyed the pool area since it is surrounded by windows and has a patio that could be used for grilling.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
MichelleMcclintockGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for your review. Our housekeepers strive to ensure each and every room is fresh and clean and vacuumed daily. We all take great pride in providing a friendly and clean atmosphere and I apologize that a staff member came across anything but apologetic. Unfortunately our pool was closed due to a circulating pump going down late Friday night. It was fixed Monday morning and the water is currently warm and clear. I apologize that you were unable to enjoy this part of the hotel, the patio is a wonderful place to relax in the evening and even grill some hotdogs and hamburgers. We have also worked with our maintenance team to correct the issues with the drains. We hope to have the opportunity to provide a true Hampton experience in the future. Please do not hesitant to call me directly so I may speak to you personally about this experience. Thank you Michelle Mcclintock

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I made a reservation 1 month ago with microwave oven and 2 double bed. But what I got is a stupid tiny room with only one small bed and without microwave. On top of that, it took me forever to check in. And the lady working at the front desk is not nice. She has no smile and eye contact with me in the whole check in process even though I have been waiting for more than 20 minutes. The air condition is freakin noisy!! Like a tank crossing my bed for the whole night. I call their General Manager and what is funny is that the operator put me on hold for about 5 minutes end up saying nothing. Terrible service and surroundings!! I will never come back to this stupid place! Ever!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I certainly do apologize that you were not happy with your room. We strive to make sure that all guests receive the room that they are expecting and I am so sorry that we were not able to accommodate your room choice during your stay. We have worked with our maintenance team to correct the issues with the air conditioner as we do not want them sounding like a tank at anytime of the day. I hope to have the opportunity to provide a true Hampton experience in the future. Please do not hesitant to call me directly at the hotel to discuss this experience in more detail. Thank you Michelle McClintock

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Well-appointed rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and good location. Difficult to walk to many food options, but you probably drove here so that's likely not an issue. Great place to stay!

Hampton Inns are, across the board, the most consistently good hotels. I just wish they weren't so pricey. But the service is good here, so you don't feel like you're wasting your money.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at the Hampton Inn south while attending the NASCAR races in June 2012.
This is a very nice hotel and is close to many restraunts and shopping.
For people attending the races it is right beside I-94 and is also close to US 12 which is the backway to the speedway.
The hotel is also very close to Michigan Stadium for those attending football games.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Recovery is one of the most imprtant skills I look for in a business or leisure hotel. Sure we want things perfect upon arrival, but that isnt realistic. I gauge many places based on how well places recover after even the smallest (or largest) misstep.

The staff at this hotel went out of there way to "make up for" our room type (king) not being available when we checked in at 2:30 A.M. for a five day stay. During the next four days, every staff member in every department was just fabulous. They accomodated us with a refrigerator, some local candies and treats, offered to change our room every day (we hate to move) recommended great restaurants and attractions, and greeted us by name every day. When it rained they brought us an umbrella (without asking) and when we needed to extend our stay one day, they did a great job making it happen at an excellent rate.

If you are in the Ann Arbor/Detroi/Chelase area, check out this great staff.

Room Tip: higher the better
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple