“Loved It”

Hampton Inn Ann Arbor-South
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I can't believe the negative reviews are really for this hotel. Home made cookies upon check in. Friendly, professional, helpful staff - I wanted some cotton balls and the woman behind the desk offered to go pick some up for me (in the end we found some cotton pads and she didn't need to go). The beds were heavenly - falling into them at the end of the day felt as I imagine being on a poofy cloud must feel. There were a variety of firm and soft pillows. The breakfast was more than a continental - fresh fruit as well as fruit cocktail, eggs, bacon or sausages, various breads and rolls, cold cereal, instant oatmeal - not to mention making your own waffles,which the kids loved!
It's true there was a class in the pool the day we arrived but it's also true that this did not mean guest could not use the pool - they just asked us not to splash the little old ladies who were doing their water exercises (it's just a small pool and not something you'd swim laps of so this wasn't an inconvenience, really). On our third day, someone puked in the pool so it was closed for 7 hours (I guess as the chlorine took effect). So, perhaps another guest will jump on that as reason to complain. However, I feel the hotel can't be held responsible for the fact that someone threw up in their pool and indeed can be commended for taking steps to insure that the pool remain safe and clean. It is Ann Arbor Michigan - if you want to be able to lounge by the pool or swim for hours, this might not be the best location for you. It is outside of the actual town of Ann Arbor but we found the difference in price to be worth driving in to town. There's a mall and some fast food eateries within walking distance. Would be very happy to stay here again - indeed, I hope I get a chance to!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We recently stayed at this hotel on a last minute trip to visit family. The reviews for the hotel were somewhat mediocre but we couldn't have been more pleased. All of the staff are friendly and courteous. We arrived at the hotel thinking we had a confirmation through Expedia, but we had apparently not finalized. The clerk was very pleasant and helpful; she worked with us to get a good rate even though it was a busy check- in time. The room was your standard Hampton room. Very comfortable and clean. The included breakfast was nothing special but adequate. Overall, a very good hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2011

Pool was closed the night we arrived. Opened the following morning, but when we went to swim, there was some sort of water aerobics class happening in the pool. It appeared that this was a community event -- not guests of the hotel. When we got in the pool, we were rudly asked to stay to the side and to not splash. REALLY????

Not the best way to treat guests.

Also, no queen beds -- disappointing. The breakfast area is also very cramped.

This is not a great place for families to stay.

Room Tip: Other hotels in neighborhood...plenty there.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hotodogu
Reviewed May 14, 2011

My family was very disappointed with this hotel - not what we've come to expect from Hampton, and certainly NOT worth $119 per night.

Room - Hotel has no queen beds (at least that's what we were told. The room was small, dark and damp. Small double beds. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room.

Lobby is dingy and in need of an update.

The breakfast area is terrible. A long bar table with bar stools, and old, plastic upolstery couches along one wall with little tables. When we were there the place was overrun with high school athletes who monopolized the bar seating. A group of 3 families hogged the other seating for over 45 minutes - most of the time sipping coffee while their toddlers (who took 3 tables) just splattered sippy cups.

This should be a $60/night place at best. Poor value - rude, selfish guests. .

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank MadHans
Reviewed April 19, 2011

Until last week, it's been years since I've stayed at a Hampton Inn property. They have clearly upgraded their services in that time. The Ann Arbor South property made my overnight business trip very convenient. When you enter the hotel, there are big bowls of complimentary snacks and warm cookies for you. The beds were very comfortable and there were plenty of spaces to work with free wifi and outlets to plug in my electronic devices. The breakfast was hearty and there is a local gym that you can go to work out. All of this was complimentary and included in the room rate. All in all an excellent value and a good stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2011

My significant other and I were in Ann Arbor one Friday night/Saturday morning spending time with a friend of ours, and we decided to stay at this Hampton Inn.

Overall, our stay was fine. The property is a bit on the older side, and it's kinda funny when you walk through the double door to get to the rooms - because you kinda feel like you're in a hospital or something. The woman who checked us in was quick and courteous, and our room was fine. It was clean, and the bed was comfortable. We got a good night's sleep. The pool and hot tub both looked very nice, but unfortunately we couldn't take advantage of that because of our time constraints.

We were kind of dissatisfied by a couple minor things. First of all, we were annoyed that the hotel stopped serving breakfast at 10 a.m. on a Saturday. (I can understand stopping breakfast earlier during the week, but people often like to sleep in on Saturdays and want to have breakfast.) We slept in until maybe 9:30 or so and were surprised when the woman at the desk told us breakfast was over at 10. Honestly, any hotel serving breakfast should continue serving on weekends until at least 10:30... if not 11:00. So yeah... we had to eat breakfast at a restaurant in the area.

That's another thing... the location of this Hampton is a little off the beaten path away from State St. north of I-94. Because we missed breakfast at the hotel, we were looking for something like a Big Boy, Bob Evans, Denny's, etc. nearby that served breakfast. The only thing we found close by for breakfast was a Burger King, which we weren't in the mood for. We probably would have had to go up to Washtenaw Ave. and U.S. 23 (or perhaps another west off I-94 west of State Street) to find a good place for breakfast. That was a bummer.

The other thing that was a little strange took place when I called the front desk (from the room) with a question. Instead of politely answering the phone by saying something like, "Front desk...how may I help you?", the woman simply said "Hello?" in a less-than-pleasant tone of voice... kinda like we were bothering her. She should have known I was a guest calling from one of the rooms. That was bizarre - nothing I would accept from the staff of a Hampton Inn.

Overall, I wouldn't mind staying here again if we get a good rate again. But if you're looking for the high quality of service Hampton Inns usually provide, don't get your hopes up here.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I reserved a King study. They gave my reservation away, and put me in a double bed.

I am very upset all they said was sorry with no resolution how can I ever trust them again ?????????
Very poor business