“Super clean, comfortable, lots of amenities - a great value!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites

Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Toledo, Ohio
“Super clean, comfortable, lots of amenities - a great value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

My husband and I came to Ann Arbor for a short (Saturday night) weekend getaway, our first since the birth of our son a little over a year ago. We were in desperate need of some rest and relaxation, and respite from flying sippy cups and dirty diapers. We definitely found it at the Ann Arbor Regent. The positive reviews are true! I did a lot of research to find a nice place to stay - somewhere that fit in our modest budget, but that was special enough for a weekend away, and offered lots of amenities. Of course, I also wanted somewhere safe and peaceful.
We arrived around 3:30 pm on Saturday. The hotel was easy to find, and had nice curb appeal - the fountain was off since it is freezing out, but the clock tower was impressive. We headed into the lobby and saw that the pictures on the website accurately conveyed the feel of the hotel - elegant decor (but not stuffy), a smart layout, well-maintained, and noticeably clean. The lobby opens into the breakfast room, which looks out onto the pool area (the game/billiards room is above the breakfast room and also looks out onto the pool area). The front desk clerk was very helpful and friendly, and we were checked in in no time. We headed to our room.
As we walked down the few hallways to our room, we noticed how clean everything was. The lighting, carpet, wallpaper, and decor were all spotless. We saw a nice little green courtyard with trees through the plentiful hallway windows.
We arrived at our room and upon entering, noticed a clean, fresh scent. It wasn't the typical hotel scent room scent - it smelled faintly like oranges, like a delicately scented candle. It wasn't overpowering or even noticeable later, but it was a nice welcome to the room. We paid an extra five dollars for a king whirlpool room. I knew from the comprehensive website that it was a deep soaking jetted tub meant for one person, not a Jacuzzi for two or anything, so it was exactly what I was expecting. I looked forward to enjoying it, some bubble bath, and the latest issue of Real Simple later, while my hubby watched March Madness. It, like everything in the room, was spotless and sparkling. I kept commenting to my husband about how clean everything was. I've never seen a hotel room so clean.
The room was spacious, with lots of nice touches. King sized bed with soft bedding and lots of comfy pillows, an armchair and ottoman (that was actually comfortable!), a desk and chair, large HD TV, coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave, large open closet, and a pretty view of the courtyard. Everything was elegantly appointed - granite and chrome in the bathroom, pretty photos of foreign locales on the walls, and modern bedding. There is free Wi-Fi, and the connection was fast. The Wi-Fi password is on a little card in your key card envelope - I didn't see it and called the front desk for the password, but the clerk was very nice.
We decided to check out the amenities before heading out for the evening. After a quick stop at the front desk to exchange my hubby's ID for the pool table supplies, we headed to the game room for some friendly competition. This game room is a far cry from the typical hotel game room - complete with pub-style tables and chairs, two large TVs, shuffleboard, foosball, and a pool table. I felt like I was at some fancy sports club or something. After I got trounced twice by my hubby, we checked out the fitness center and the pool. The fitness center was nice - a few treadmills and ellipticals (with TV screens) and a weight machine. It's open 24 hours. The pool/hot tub and game room are both open until 10 pm. The pool was nice, with comfy looking furniture on the pool deck. There was also a hot tub.
We had dinner reservations at Zingermans Roadhouse, which wasn't far away. After our delicious dinner, we brought back our leftovers and kept them in the fridge, along with goodies purchased at Trader Joes. It was so nice to have a fridge and microwave in our room.
We went down to the pool to enjoy the hot tub, but it was packed full of college students in town for a sorority/fraternity conference, so we settled on taking a dip in the pool first, hoping the hot tub might clear out. The pool was on the colder side, but I liked how it wasn't too deep. It wasn't Olympic-sized or anything, but plenty big enough for me! The deepest end said it was 5 feet, but I am 5 feet tall and the water only came up to my shoulders, which I loved - I'm normally constantly bobbing up and down in pools to keep my head above water. There was a large wall of windows looking out onto a pretty courtyard (a different one than mentioned earlier), with a gazebo and fountains. I bet it is beautiful in the spring and summer. Anyway, finally the hot tub cleared out enough for us to get in. It was nice and relaxing. It was getting close to 10 pm, and a friendly employee politely informed everyone that the pool area would be closing then. We knew this already, so we didn't mind. It would have been nice if the pool and game room were available to use later, but I understand the reason, as there are guestrooms surrounding the pool area and the game room.
I had a lovely bath in the jetted tub when we got back to our room, and my husband enjoyed the basketball on TV. The TV swiveled, so he got to enjoy it from the armchair as well as the bed. The bathtub was great, although I went a little nuts with bath gel I brought - I forgot that the jets would greatly multiple the bubbles, and it was pretty comical. One thing I must mention is the towels. They are wonderful. Large (almost bath sheet size), fluffy, and soft. I loved being able to wrap one all the way around me. Lovely. Also, they have Bath & Body Works products in the bathroom (lotion, shampoo, soap, and conditioner). Plus mouthwash.
The bed was really comfortable, and we slept really well. It was very quiet and peaceful.
Breakfast in the morning was delicious. The breakfast room isn't super huge and there is only one busy breakfast attendant, but there was plentiful food. The coffee and hot water ran out and had to be refilled, but there were a ton of guests (including the delegation of students), so that is understandable. Breakfast options included local coffee, tea, fresh-squeezed orange juice (where can you ever find that at a hotel with complimentary breakfast?!), V-8 Splash, whole and skim milk, 4-5 kinds of cereal, bagels, doughnuts, muffins, English muffins, bread, bananas, oranges, apples, waffles (to toast, not to make your own), peanut butter, jelly, ketchup, hot sauce, cream cheese, butter, scrambled eggs, jumbo sausage links (very tasty), and seasoned home fries. The eggs were pretty good for hotel eggs, and the sausage was very good. There are two TVs in the breakfast room.
Check-out is at noon, but the confirmation said that complimentary late check-out (2 pm) is an option if available. We asked the front desk clerk about it on our way back from breakfast, and she looked a little confused by the request, but said that was fine. We ended up checking out around 12:10 pm.
I know this review turned into a book, but I was just so impressed by this place and wanted to share with you. For all the amenities, cleanliness, and comfort, you would have thought it cost three times what it did. We were so happy to find it. It really made our getaway lovely. We know where we'll be headed the next time we're in town for a stay!

Room Tip: The extra charge for a whirlpool room is definitely worth it!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MrsPineappleOrange
Erik V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Mrs. Pineapple Orange,

Your review is one of the most thorough and complete reviews I have ever read on TripAdvisor. I shared your praises with the entire hotel's team and they were so happy to read the long review. We work hard to provide the same experience you had to every single person who walks into the lobby. I'm grateful you spent such a long time typing up your thoughts, it should really give prospective guests a true idea of what they'll get when staying at the Regent. Please come back and spend a weekend with us once the weather is nice. You'll get the see the fountain going, and enjoy the outdoor courtyard and all the flowers. Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Polish first
Brandywine, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have been at this hotel for a week and i'm quite pleased so far. The front desk crew is very helpful and nice. The cleaning crew is METICULOUS! Every day I come back to the hotel after work and find my room in immaculate condition worthy of a picture for the website. They too are very nice.

The hotel itself is very aesthetically pleasing and complete with a game room including a billiards table and an indoor pool. The breakfast is pretty good. It consists of either bacon or gigantic sausage links(both very good), eggs, a potato dish (none all that good so far), donuts, bagels, multiple flavors of yogurt, V8 splash, OJ, coffee, oranges, bananas, waffles, a selection of cereal and a few things i'm sure to be overlooking. So far I have enjoyed it and would like to thank the sweet ladies who prepare it for me every morning :-)

The Guest Rooms are quite nice. Many lamps for just the right amount of lighting. Extremely well maintained. Very hot showers. Very comfy bed tucked very tight and equipped with 5 comfy pillows.

The wireless internet is ok. Very fast for normal use but can hit some lows on things like Skype where a sudden dip in signal means a completely muddled video call. Overall though it has allowed me to stay in contact every night with my fiance back home so i'm grateful.

I have at least another month to go here but I think I made the right choice with this hotel. Every morning I leave for work refreshed and well fed, both of critical importance for me to give this project 100%. Friendly interaction with the staff also helps set the tone for my day :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erik V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
What a wonderful review, thank you! We are so happy you chose to stay with us on this extended trip. We're glad we could create an environment that allows you to give your work a 100% each day. I will make sure I pass along your compliments to everyone at breakfast. They will be happy to hear it! Thanks for staying with us!
LaSalle, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We stayed at this facility about 4 years ago and at that time it was a different name and was undergoing renovations. Back then it was average but good enough to revisit and we are sure glad we did. Now a new name and fully renovated, the renovations hit the mark. I consider the room we stayed in to be average in appearance and appointments, it was very clean and the bathroom was very up to date and spotless. As for the pool area and games room, my family gives both a home run. I see that another reviewer made a comment about the pool being too small, perhaps if you’re doing laps, but for kids and lounging around – excellent. The games room is a tremendous touch as well offering a little activity in between whatever it is you’re going to be doing. I would highly recommend trying this hotel and find that its location is perfect for getting anywhere in Ann Arbor quickly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erik V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Matt, thanks for the great review! We're so happy you decided to try us again after all the renovations had been completed. It's nice to know the effort didn't go unnoticed. I'm glad you tried out the game room, it really is a great place to relax after work or with the family on a weekend. Give us a call the next time you're visiting and we'll be sure to take care of you again. Take care!
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed at the Ann Arbor Regent Hotel with my father the night before he was to have a procedure done at the U of M Hospital. I was very happy with the location to the hospital, the cleanliness of the hotel and how friendly and helpful the staff is. After seeing some of the other hotels in the area, I feel we stayed in the best!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erik V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
MIchelle824 - thank you for the kind review. Everyone here at the hotel appreciates it greatly! We try to make things as smooth as possible for our guests staying for the purpose of visiting the U of M Hospital. It can be a challenging time so we go the extra mile. I will share your comments with everyone. I agree with you too - you did stay at the best hotel!
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Trip Advisor rating is very accurate, and this is an excellent option to stay while in the area. While the layout is typical is most two story hotels, the upgraded hallway carpets, bathrooms, showers, and exceptionally comfortable beds make this a very comfortable place. The Breakfast is also hot and hearty, with meat, egg, and potato dishes along with yogurt, bagels, toast, fruit, etc. It even includes a game room with pool table and air hockey. Staff was attentive, helpful, and very pleasant. An excellent overall value.

Room Tip: Rooms that adjoin the enclosed pool area do acquire a bit of the chlorine smell and nighttime lighti...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank MeanderingMike1
Erik V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Thanks for noticing all of our efforts in making this a wonderful hotel in Ann Arbor! We appreciate your detailed eye. Its guests like you who help us to do better, and provide a superior product. I’m so happy we were able to meet all of your expectations. I’ll make sure to pass along your compliments to all the staff here at the Regent. Thanks again for the wonderful review!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

My Fiance' and I stayed here on a Saturday night for a weekend getaway from the little one. We were promtly checked in and in the room waiting for us was a bottle of sprakling wine and chocolate covered strawberries. We had the whirlpool tub in our room for an extra $5, it's well worth it! It was very relaxing and roomy. While taking a bath, I even fell asleep in the tub! We didn't get to enjoy the game room but we did enjoy the pool and hot tub. The pool was a little on the cooler side, especially being in the winter time I wish it was warmer. But the hot tub was perfect! Be careful of that last step though, we both stumbled getting in ;) We had the breakfast in the morning, a very nice selection. We are coming back here for sure, can't wait to try the pool table! Thanks Regant Hotel & Suites for an amazing weekend!

Room Tip: Spend the extra $5 and get the whirlpool tub. Bring bubbles!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
You are most welcome! Thank you for the kind review. The game room will be waiting for you until you can come visit us again. I will make sure we keep a closer eye on our pool temperature, especially during this very long and cold winter. If you need another getaway, we’re happy to host you! Thanks again!
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

Nice place. Pool area was very nice though pool was small. My husband and son enjoyed the game room. Staff was friendly and very helpful. Light on blankets but when I requested one, someone brought it within 5 minutes. Breakfast was yummy, varied, and plentiful. Nice person at front desk gave me a Starbucks giftcard and asked me to rate on TripAdvisor when I said I liked our stay.

Room Tip: Suite in the back corner is v. quiet (Rm. 3116)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank annegg
Thank you for the wonderful review! We appreciate our guests who take the time to review our hotel for other potential guests, whether good or bad. Without your feedback we are unable to make changes for the better. In your case, I’m glad we met the mark in all areas! We hope to see you again!