“Staff Unresponsive to Early AM noise!!!”

Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Boise, Idaho
“Staff Unresponsive to Early AM noise!!!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

While visiting the area to help a daughter get set-up for a master program at Michigan State we stayed two nights. We were greeted nicely by the desk staff and even asked if we would like a first or second floor room, nice touch, but the pool was closed for the day. Our room was clean and comfortable and the first night was fine. The standard coffee was available in our room, two packets of regular and two of decaf. We left in the morning for a long, long day of shopping, setting up furniture and general busy activities; we returned after 11pm local time. Again, comfortable and we were fast asleep knowing we had to catch a plan early and would be leaving the hotel by 6am. We awoke abruptly at 3:08am to two or three loud male voices along with one female in the next room, seeming playing some sort of game. The laughter died down and we dozed off only to be aroused again at 3:42am, at this point I called the front desk, the first try it rang 12 times and hung up and immediately called again, this time a male answered after about 3 rings. I told his of the loud voices in the next room even giving him our room number as well as the one the commotion was coming from. Shortly thereafter I fell asleep only to be re-awoken at 4:12am by not only the loud laughing but a bang on the wall at our heads, this time my husband called and the man that answered asked what kind of noise as he had listened at the door when I called but did not hear anything…weird, it was very loud. It was if he did not believe us, this made me angry along with be awake. We heard the knocking on the door and the muffled conversation followed by a few loud expletives from the room next door a few minutes after the hotel staff left. To make matters worse, when we got up an hour later, the coffee was all, all four, DECAF! I did not want to ask the same night staff for coffee so we packed and left. I have never asked for any compensation for a noise issue as the hotel cannot control guest, they can only try if they know of a problem; but this time I feel differently due to the way the complaint was handled. I am waiting to hear from the general manager, although we will not stay there again and we will be making several trips to the area in the next year, several trips

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
aarsales, Director of Sales at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are sorry to hear the people next to you made your stay unpleasant. We did review with our staff and our night audit staff member did talk to the guest and gave them a noise warning to quiet down or we would ask them to leave the hotel. He did check back a few time walking the halls but never heard them again. We do apologize for the decaf coffee in the room and did leave your feedback with our housekeeping manager. We would of been happy to bring you regular coffee and even cups of coffee if you would have called the front desk. We also offer coffee 24 hours a day in the lobby area. Again, sorry for the noisy guest next to you and we hope you would give us a try again.

Director of Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
syracuse
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Despite my HUGE disappointment that the pool and hot tub were undergoing maintenance during our stay, this was another good stay. they gave me the room I requested (2d floor, not overlooking pool). This was my 5th or 6th stay here, and it was as clean and nice as always. I have tried other hotels in the area and none beats this overall for the price. Definitely the cleanest one around. Very nice staff and breakfast was plentiful although very busy. I just don't get some of the bad reviews here - if you want a Sunday paper delivered to you, and a full course breakfast (that you will have to pay extra for) then go stay somewhere for double the price. Please.
The only things I do have a small critique for are the pillows (too smushy) and the towels, which are really quite thin. Otherwise, will stay here again.

Room Tip: Always try for the second floor and not overlooking the pool area (it can smell like chlorine).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rachael V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We always appreciate the kind words and we value our guests opinions. We take all suggestions into consideration.

I'd like to apologize for the pool being out of order due to a maintenance project. Its hard to pick a time period to do certain projects and we never like to inconvenience our guests. The pool is now up and running for your next stay. Thank you for noticing how clean our facilities are. Our housekeeping staff work extremely hard and double check everything before a room is labeled ready. And our breakfast is complimentary with every guest stay like you mentioned. We carry a lot of local favorites such as Bearclaw Coffee, Dom's Bakery pastries and bagels, and we have rotating hot items everyday.

We really look forward to your next stay and please let me know if I can do anything for you. Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions or comments at (734) 973.6100 Have a great day!

Best regards,
Alpena, MI
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We chose this hotel as our usual hotel in Ann Arbor was full. I think this was on old Comfort Suites that was one of the worst I had ever stayed in which is probably why it is no longer a Comfort Suites. The prices on hotels that weekend were expensive but this hotel was slightly lower. As I walked around, there were groups enjoying various nooks in the place; a sitting area outside, the pool and upstairs by the pool table. Very relaxed.

The room was good and was clean. Looks like they had done some remodeling recently. I have no complaints. The place was clean, quiet and reasonably priced (for Ann Arbor in August). I may make this my new hotel when staying in Ann Arbor.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Rachael V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We did recently renovate the entire property and all the nooks people were enjoying are complimentary. From hot breakfast to wireless internet, an indoor pool and hot tub, billiards lounge and an outdoor garden and gazebo, our guests comfort and relaxation is one of our top priorities. Along with comfort, cleanliness is also one of our top priorities. We use non-harsh cleaning products and our housekeeping staff check rooms every single day making sure everything is in its place.

We really look forward to your next visit to Ann Arbor and we hope the Regent Hotel becomes your new home when visiting the area. Take care!

Best regards,
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 20, 2013

There are a number of issues here. Some are small, others big, but they all combine for a 2 out of 5 rating. I wish I could have given it a 1.5 out of 5.
FIRST ISSUE - THE ROOM
We booked an EXECUTIVE SUITE room. It was noting more than a regular sized room with 3 phones, and 2 TV's. They have a lot of audacity calling it an "executive suite". Far too much furniture in the room, always bumping into something. While the room appeared to be clean, the bathroom had a distinct strong smell that something was moldy. We believe it was the shower curtain. The second day there, neither the carpet nor the floor in the bathroom was cleaned.
SECOND ISSUE - BREAKFAST
Massive design problem. All the food is cramped into a very small corner of the lobby....literally the area was HALF the size of our kitchen at home. And this for a hotel with 125 guest rooms. And they put out the coffee in those small, coffee carafes. I will say that the food was good, but you just couldn't access it.
OTHER STUFF
Went to the front desk to get a paper on Sunday morning and was told, "They don't publish on Sunday." REALLY? So then I began looking around for a USA Today or some other paper and there was NOTHING. No paper, newsletter, journal, NOTHING of any kind. Went outside and noticed ample areas for smoking, but still no paper, or ever a newspaper vending machine anywhere in sight. Alsoo, ever other hotel we've ever stayed in had information about the area: attractions, amenities, activities, etc. This hotel had NOTHING....NO INFORMATION in the room. Very strange.

Room Tip: Stay at another place.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank greg s
aarsales, Director of Sales at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Mr. Greg S,

We are sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations when you stayed with us. Our Executive Suite is just like the picture on our website. It's a mini-suite concept with a sitting area and a half-wall with a king bed on the other side of the half-wall. We did review your comments with housekeeping to ensure all rooms are odorless and cleaned daily. Our breakfast area is a little tight on high demand times but we do have extra seating outside in our garden area and poolside if needed. Our coffee does go into air-pots which keeps it hot and fresh for our guests but these are large pots that hold a gallon and a half. We do carry the USA Today newspaper however it is only a Monday - Friday paper. They do not print on the weekends so we do apologize for not having a weekend paper option. If you are in the Ann Arbor area again please feel free to contact me direct and I would be happy to set-up your reservation and add any requests you might have.

Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The room was beautiful and I was happy that I paid extra for a whirlpool room. Breakfast was delicious and staff was courteous, until I paid my pill and finished my stay at this hotel. I left behind an expensive pair of pajamas in my room. I am positive they were in my room as I travelled to a different hotel for that night and completely unpacked. I called on Sat to have my pajamas found quickly. The house keeping manager did not answer her phone and so I left a message. I called and left messaged on Sunday and Monday. No reply. I called the front desk 3 times and had my name and number left for her. Still no reply by Wed! So then I called the hotel manager, not suprisingly, I had to leave a message with him because he was out to lunch. He never called me back even though at that point he should have taken over. The housekeeping manager finally returned my call and said no pajamas were found. I've stayed at a Super 8 before and have had jewelry returned to me. Why was it so difficult for a finer hotel to the same? I will never stay at or reccomend this hotel ever again. Customer service is deplorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank koper5322
aarsales, General Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
I am sorry you misplaced your pajamas but I am very confident that if pajamas were left in our room, they would have been found and turned in. I also apologize that your call was not returned as prompt as you would have liked. Our housekeeping manager verified there was a call left after hours on Saturday and she was off the following two days. She did contact you as soon as she returned on Tuesday. You did not receive a return call from the front office manager since he verified the housekeeping manager was returning your call.

I understand your frustration but feel it is my responsibility to share the whole story with other readers. We offer excellent guest service and an excellent hotel.
I hope you give us another chance in the future to prove we are the best hotel in Ann Arbor.

Regards,

DeWayne Grann
Ann Arbor Regent
Caledon, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Booked room may 22 2013 for arrival aug 14 .confimation raaro6oe8 .Arrived aug 14 about 1.45 .pm and told problems with rooms and sent me to another one of there hotels 2 miles away.They gave me a room but said I would have to move the next day back to the original hotel.I would definitely not use these hotels ever again or any of their affiliates.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
aarsales, Director of Sales at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Mr. Hoare,

Thank you for the review and again we would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced when we had to move you at check-in to our sister hotel located downtown Ann Arbor. We try our hardest to exceed guest expectations even when it's not the ideal situation. That is why we did move you downtown Ann Arbor to Ann Arbor's Premier Hotel. We paid for the room that evening and provided transportation to the hotel and to your meeting the next day. We wanted to make sure we inconvenienced you as little as possible for the one night. We do know you made the reservation months in advance. With the convention participates we had staying at the hotel they checked in the weekend prior for the full week which left us no other options for guests to move. Again we are sorry and it's never our intentions to not have a room for our guests. That is why we made sure you had great accommodation and transportation as needed on us for the one night we could not provide them.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at the Regent for a week. It was wonderful. Very clean and well maintained - rooms, pool, hallways, dining area, everything. Equally wonderful was the staff. They always spoke, housekeeping was excellent, breakfast staff excellent, front desk and manager were wonderful without exception.
We stayed here for a week 2 years ago, that is why we returned this year. Breakfast and breakfast staff was very efficient and well stocked.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Rachael V, Manager at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We are so glad you came and stayed with us again. As you can tell the hotel definitely went through a massive renovation a few years ago when you were here last. Our #1 goal is customer service and we believe all our staff exemplify that. We focus very hard on cleanliness and our rooms. They all face away from the street so you get a quiet and peaceful nights sleep. Our breakfast staff know how important our guests mornings are and always have smiles on their faces. We offer many local favorites at breakfast, such as pastries and bagels from Dom's Bakery, Bearclaw Coffee and 100% fresh squeezed orange juice.

When your travels bring you back to Ann Arbor, the Regent Hotel would love to see you again! Take care!