“UNCLEAN”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“UNCLEAN”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

DISGUSTING!!! Housekeeping/maids didn't bother to clean our bathroom before we checked into our room and only did a half-fast job while we were there. The bathtub had dark stains near the drain. We thought they were permanent stains, since rooms should always be cleaned (especially after a guest checks out). However, the second day we were there, we came back to our room in the evening and noticed that the bathtub had been cleaned and the dark stains were gone. We had been showering in a dirty bathtub when we arrived! And while the tub looked cleaner, it was obvious that they didn't bother to clean anything but the tub that second day, because there was still hair on the bathroom floor and the sink had water stains around it.

And if that wasn't bad enough, there was a disgusting carpet stain that looked like there was dried vomit on the floor that we unfortunately didn't noticed until the second day. The stain remained on the carpet even after Housekeeping came to clean, so it's obvious they didn't bother to run a vacuum through the room before our arrival or during or stay.

The only nice aspects about the hotel was that the lobby and restaurant area was beautiful, the gym had nice equipment, and the indoor-outdoor pool was heated. The food is good, but is very over-priced - $9 for a bowl of cereal!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Sammie412,

Thanks very much for your business and taking the time to comment on your experience from your recent stay with us. Comments like yours afford us the opportunity to continually improve our product and service quality for all our guests.

I am truly sorry we were so off our norm with room cleanliness during your visit. Be assured our cleanliness reputation is one we take very seriously and this mishap will not be repeated in the future.

If I can be of service in the meantime in any way, please call on me personally.

Steve Smyka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
West Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Attended U Mich Parents & Family Weekend. Had to stay at another Hotel the first night (Friday), then moved to Sheraton for the remaining 3 nights.

We stayed at the 1st Floor. Thus, there was basically no view, but convenient access to Parking. Check-in & check-out were efficient. Our only complain was the very soft bed. Don't think we'll stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Lraep,

Thanks for selecting us taking the time to share your experiences from your recent visit.

I'm sorry to hear our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds didn't do it for you as they do the vast majority of our guests. If anything, most find them to be somewhat on the firm side. I'll see if I can track down your specific room to insure there is not a frame issue or broken box.

If I can be of service in any way, please do call on me.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2013

wow, this hotel used to be a 4 points. I would never have guessed. Its conveniently located to both the highway and U of M, two to three miles down state street. The lobby looks like it was just redone and quite nicely at that. The gym is amazing--it had an excellent assortment of cardio machines, resistance machines, free weights/dumbbells, mats, exercise balls and room to use them. Also it was very clean and had a water dispenser which i wish ever hotel had. The rooms were also well done with nice televisions, bedding, and bathrooms (although I prefer stand alone showers). The lounge for breakfast was serviceable with excellent espresso machines and good selection of continental breakfast items. Although the lounge was very crowded the morning we were there, the attendant rapidly replaced the dissappearing items with a smile. Well done sheraton ann arbor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear elliotnotsam2,

Thank you for your business generosity and kind words regarding your recent experience with us. I appreciate both a great deal.

Delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations and hope to see and serve you again in the near future.

If I may be of service in the meantime, please call on me any time.

Hospitably yours,
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My wife and little baby visited this hotel on a short trip to Ann Arbor / UMich recently and decided to give the Sheraton another try, despite not enjoying it the first time we stayed here a couple of years ago. To our pleasant surprise we were very glad we gave it a second try.

We had a number of very picky requests for a quiet room that's away from potentially noisy neighbors, etc. The hotel staff did everything they could to try to accommodate them and we were very pleased with everything. All of our interactions with the front desk in person or over the phone was very pleasant. The staff was very friendly (especially to our little baby), efficient and professional. We will definitely return to the Sheraton the next time we're in Ann Arbor.

In terms of the hotel's hardware such as room, lobby, furnishings, facilities, etc., - all were excellent and still in very good condition after their renovation a few years ago. Premises were very clean also.

We would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family. Compared to other hotels in the area that we've tried, the Sheraton (based on our 2nd experience) is head and shoulders above its competition.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RNG1008
Dear RNG1008,

Thanks very much for giving us another chance to serve you and restore your faith in us. I'm elated that we exceeded your expectations and turned you back into a fan!

Hope to see and serve you again soon. If there's anything I can do until then, please call on me personally.

ny
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The Sheraton Ann Arbor hotel is amazing! I am extremely pleased with the customer service skills that the employees have. They are courteous, caring and
extremely knowledgeable. They are very eager to make sure that their guests have a very enjoyable stay. The hotel is extremely clean and well maintained. The rooms are a nice size and the beds are very comfortable. And it has a gym, which is an added bonus. Whether people wanted to visit the University of Michigan, the City of Ann Arbor, or nearby cities, I highly recommend the Sheraton. Because the Sheraton Ann Arbor is is a wonderful hotel, it is my number one choice of hotels to stay in during my visits to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear sue610,

Thanks so much for your business and sharing your kind words regarding your recent experience with us.

We hope to serve you again soon. If I may be of assistance in the meantime, please call on me any time.

Port Charlotte, Florida
Reviewed September 27, 2013

MARRIOTT: GOLD
STARWOOD: GOLD

For this particular stay i was looking for a little break away from daily life with the little one, and ofcourse to review another property ;)
Working my way toward Platinum with SPG this year and mostly staying off the Marriott's, this Sheraton in Ann Arbor seemed like a good match as the indoor/outdoor pool was a must this time.

CHECK-IN: I felt this part was a bit cold, it wasnt busy and the agent wasnt rude, just really had no demeanor at all, which leaves a cold impression. I had called SPG a few days before to try and make sure the upgrade could be accomodated but at check-in i was told the club-floor was full. I hope this was true because later on in the stay another agent said they look at Golds differently than platinums, odd comment..im sure i agree with that somewhat, but lets hope it doesnt mean you wont upgrade a Gold..we spend plenty as well my friend.

ROOM: This hotel is 6 floors if i remember, upper 1 or 2 are Club Floors. I was put on the 4th floor at the very end (furthest from desk). I am tired of looking at parking lots, this was two weeks in a row with this situation..hope it doesnt continue. A Plus was that the elevator was right outside my door allowing my daughter and i quick up and down but still the long walk, ugh. Also this location uses keycards that are very frustrating as they are hardly read easily by the monitors, especially when trying to enter from outside. Back to the room, it was small, thats really all i can say..clean, comfy bed..small.

HOTEL: We came for the pool and we enjoyed it. As stated above its indoor/outdoor which is cool and the little one loved it. Even though it was chilly outside the temp was 80 atleast in the pool so kudos for that..hottub was nice as well and unlike other hotels the chemicals mixture was spot on (in other words i didnt notice it). This hotel also has a nice loungy bar, i had a 3 year old so i could not partake, unfortunately i also missed the gym on this one but i assure you it exists.

ROOM SERVICE: ordered as i usually do twice, dinner was very dissapointing. Pizza for B was like something for $1 and microwavable. I ordered chicken sandwich and caeser salad, both were very soggy and were returned asap. They offerred to make a fresh pizza for me and that was good but definetely a let down here as i have always looked to Starwood room service to be good and we pay higher for that.

LOCATION: You do need GPS to find this property as its burried in the midst of office buildings, other hotels and the typical Michigan, what the heck is going on road situation. safe location i felt though and for adjacency to 94 and 5 mins from downtown Ann Arbor its perfect. Escpecially considering for some reason downtown Ann Arbor has no real good hotel option.

OVERALL: i am planning to go back here again and despite the no upgrade i was offerred use of the lounge, next time hoping to get a larger, better room though.

Room Tip: Club floor facing the courtyard/pool is best here. everything else is a parking lot view
Green Features: They had recycling options all over which is great. Keep it up =)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank MarcusBeier
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear ryan b,

Thanks very much for trying us and taking the time to share your insightful experiences as well.
Just as a point of information, only our 6th floor is the Club Level, the fifth is our SPG floor. With not nearly enough Club rooms to accommodate the requests we receive for upgrades, we attempt to get as many on the SPG Level and offer Club Lounge access. Always best to reserve the Club rooms as early as possible.

We'll definitely address the very untypical in room dining experience you encountered and assure you that will not be the case in the future.

Look forward to serving you again very soon. If I may be of service in the meantime in any way, please call on me.

Hospitably yours,
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is very nice and has extremely comfortable beds. What we found most valuable was the Free shuttle. We were in town for a wedding and since the hotel isn't in the city center, having the shuttle available was invaluable. They took us into town multiple times throughout the weekend and we saved a ton of money on cabs.
Additionally, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Our rate did not include breakfast (which was very expensive), but we didn't mind as that meant we could experience brunch at the amazing Cafe Zola!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Mecarr C,

Thanks so much for your business and kind words regarding your experience with us - very much appreciated!

We hope to see and serve you again soon, if I may be of any assistance until then, please call on me anytime.